room question on Amsterdam/Rotterdam

slotl

We are planning to book a 60 plus day cruise on the Amsterdam. We booked room G2715 all the way in the back of the ship on main deck.

We have sailed on the Rotterdam in a front FF room and it was the WORST room. It was directly above the tender door and the clanking of chains and automatic doors woke us EVERY morning we were in a tender port. It was also by the housekeeping station and infirmary. There was quite a bit of traffic outside our door (in addition the dry cleaning rack was also outside our room).

I am concerned the back of the ship may also have some "faults".

If you have traveled on the Rotterdam or Amsterdam and cruised in room 2715 (back of the ship), I would be very interested in your feedback.

Thanks,

slotl (Lois)

Hi there Lois:

I don't know how much help I will be because I have never sailed in one of those cabins: however, I did "do" 49 days aboard the glorious ms Amsterdam just a couple of months ago and was in cabin 1941, which is way aft on the Dolphin Deck. I can honestly only remember one day when there was some kind of slapping noise that was bothersome for a short time - actually it was in the afternoon and put paid to any idea of a nice nap. I think that it was probably the hawsers slapping against the side of the ship in one of the several ports where we had less than clement weather (and there were several of those:eek: ). Apart from that I honestly don't remember any untoward noises at all. You should not have any problems with that in cabin 2715.

You will be one deck up from Dolphin and I can't see, looking at the deck plan, where you would have any kind of problem with noise, unless you are an extremely light sleeper and the slightest noise bothers you.

Are you considering the 2008 Grand Asia Pacific cruise? I'm already booked on that one - way back aft again, this time on the port side in cabin 1960 and I am really looking forward to the cruise. The GWV was stupendous and I don't see why 2008's Grand Asia Pacific cruise should be any different.

The only bad thing I can think of with cabins 2715; 1941 and 1960 is that it is a really, really looooooong walk to the disembarkation area when in ports - but then think, as I did, of all the calories you are burning off:D . The good part is that you will be very close to the Dining Room, which now I come to think of it negates my previous sentence:rolleyes: .

Valerie:)

Valarie,

Thank you for your answer. It does confirm that the room is in a "good" location.

Yes, we are talking about the 2008 Grand Asia Pacific voyage. We have been on most of the "commercial/repeating" itineraries and have cruised to most of the places before. But....we LOVED those areas and would like to do them again. The Northern Russia route intrigues me and the Orient route doubles up on some of our favorite ports (Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghi) and does introduce us to some new stops.

We did Australia/New Zealand for the Millineum cruise in 2000 and passed the dateline twice to celebrate the year 2000. That cruise started in Sidney, but did mostly New Zealand. I would LOVE to take a cruise totally around Australia and get to see Ayers Rock, the Outback, Darwin, Carnes, the Great Barrier Reef, etc. Most cruises seem to stay on the East side of Australia with land excursions elsewhere. We have some friends we met on the Prinsendam who live in Melbourne. We still keep in touch and plan on seeing them when the Amsterdam hits Melbourne.

We have done the Papette to Hawaii run, but this cruise adds many of the Pacific Islands.

I also like this cruise since it begins/ends in the West Coast of the US, so airfare and travel time are not an issue.

Anyway, enough of my babbling.....see you in Sept. '08

We've been on the Rotterdam in a room on Dolphin deck aft and in an FF room forward on the Main deck. I actually preferred the FF room because it was closer to the gangway and I was always really tired after long port excursions in Europe. We didn't notice any noise - other than normal ship stuff in either location. But we don't spend an awful lot of time in our cabin anyway.

We have booked a forward cabin for our Volendam cruise in October.

Are you considering the 2008 Grand Asia Pacific cruise? I'm already booked on that one - way back aft again, this time on the port side in cabin 1960 and I am really looking forward to the cruise. The GWV was stupendous and I don't see why 2008's Grand Asia Pacific cruise should be any different.

Hello Valerie, Which 2008 cruise segment are you taking?

Hello Valerie, Which 2008 cruise segment are you taking?

Hi there Captain, my Captain:

Heck, I'm cleaning out the bank account and going for the entire 65 days this time:cool: .

This will probably be my last looooong cruise, unless of course I win the lottery!

Hi there Captain, my Captain:

Heck, I'm cleaning out the bank account and going for the entire 65 days this time:cool: .

This will probably be my last looooong cruise, unless of course I win the lottery!

We are going "all the way" as well.

Prior to this, the longest cruise we have done is 23 days. We did it twice. Once from CapeTown South Africa to Ft. Lauderdale on the Prinsendam and then back to back New England and Boston to Amsterdam on the Rotterdam (where we had that awful FF room 1818).

Idog, I'm glad you were not affected by the tender door operation, or the dry cleaning racks, or the housekeeping traffic, or the medical center traffic. Other than these discomforts, yes, the room was close to the elevator, closer to the activities, and in a normally excellent location. Unfortunately, we were not so lucky.

I would have preferred a 35 - 40 day'er as a warm up to a 60 day'er, but, it is a once in my life opportunity, life is too short....go for it!!!

I have a question about cabins on the Main Deck. Do you hear pax walking or jogging above you on the Promenade Deck?
We were on the Main Deck on the Amsterdam, and I don't recall any foot noise above us. :)

We are planning to book a 60 plus day cruise on the Amsterdam. We booked room G2715 all the way in the back of the ship on main deck.

We have sailed on the Rotterdam in a front FF room and it was the WORST room. It was directly above the tender door and the clanking of chains and automatic doors woke us EVERY morning we were in a tender port. It was also by the housekeeping station and infirmary. There was quite a bit of traffic outside our door (in addition the dry cleaning rack was also outside our room).

I am concerned the back of the ship may also have some "faults".

If you have traveled on the Rotterdam or Amsterdam and cruised in room 2715 (back of the ship), I would be very interested in your feedback.

Thanks,

slotl (Lois)

Just for the record, the 2007 version of this itinerary which I have booked indicates only 2 tender ports in 64 days.

I have a question about cabins on the Main Deck. Do you hear pax walking or jogging above you on the Promenade Deck?

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with jtl513. I have been in a cabin on main deck many times and although I have never been bothered by "foot traffic" I have noticed noise from joggers several times - this despite the fact that they are not supposed to be jogging on the Promenade Deck - there is a sign advising them of that. There is a jogging track on the Sports Deck (I beieve) - why they don't use that I don't know - maybe they think the rules only apply to others and not them?

Generally the cabins on Main Deck are nice and quiet but every once in a while you will hear the "thundering herd" above you. I, personally like the cabins on Main Deck but there can be a noise from the joggers at times.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with jtl513. ... Generally the cabins on Main Deck are nice and quiet but every once in a while you will hear the "thundering herd" above you. I, personally like the cabins on Main Deck but there can be a noise from the joggers at times.

Well, we are early risers ... but I repeat: we didn't hear any "thundering herd" our one week on the main deck. :rolleyes:

Well, we are early risers ... but I repeat: we didn't hear any "thundering herd" our one week on the main deck. :rolleyes:

Okay: I will try to be nice about this without sounding like an elitist, but it has been many years since I took a one week cruise (I'm very happily retired and have some disposable income to spend on longer cruises:)), so I have to say that on a one week cruise one would probably not hear, or even notice, "the thundering herd" more than once - on longer cruises it can get a little annoying, but not enough to impact the enjoyment of a cruise.

Dietman: go ahead and take your chances: I'm betting that you will not have a problem whatsoever.

I too am an early riser: 5:30 a.m. and I'm ready for the day. However, I am also not a Night Owl and am ready for bed and a good book pretty early and must admit that I have never been bothered by walkers/joggers way above my head after dark:D .

I was in cabin 3418 for 105 days. Inside and aft, on Lower promenade.

No noise, no inconvenience, great cabin, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

For me all cabins on a ship are good. After all, there are real people sleeping on 'A' deck everyday !!!

We are going on the World Cruise again in 2008. This time for 113 days. I will take any cabin,I am there to see the world, not to stay in my cabin.

;)

Louise

I just about always stay on the Main Deck and while I am usually in an inside cabin, I have stayed in an outside cabin on this deck a few times and have never, ever been bothered by noise from the above deck. I have always found the Main Deck on all the HAL ships to be one of the best decks to stay on, nice and quiet.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived