car rental in Skagway

smurf1635

LOL -- an easy walk for some is a long trek for others! Once my DW walked back to the ship from Avis and arrived exhausted. We take the little shuttles that go into town for a couple of bucks. They will drop you half a block from Avis.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I have booked a car from sourdough for july, should I cancel? Didnt know they were old cars.... Everyone seems to like avis, perhaps I have made a mistake..:confused:
If you decide to cancel be sure you can get something through Avis first.

I have booked a car from sourdough for july, should I cancel? Didnt know they were old cars.... Everyone seems to like avis, perhaps I have made a mistake..:confused:

In my opinion, yes you have made a mistake. This is a long time poorly run business. I was able to deal with their dirty cars, but the last couple years the maintence is lacking too. A recent poster reported they said to "take it easy on the breaks" or similar. The poster didn't seem to think this was significant, but I most certainly do. The cars should be in good running shape and in a safe condition. Having some minor break problems is just unacceptable to me. I had a car that got about 10mpg on a compact car- after he said the economy car was "booked". I saw him driving it around in the morning, and it sat in the parking lot ALL day, until I returned my crappy car. He was not the least bit concerned about the gas milage. There have been a few breakdowns as well.

I'm glad I chose Avis. I booked on line and Avis does not require any credit card info when you are making your reservation. If for some reason I had to cancel, there would be no way to charge me a cancellatioin fee.

Smurf

When I booked the car online through the national office, it said only full size cars. This was in January. I called May 14th when the Skagway office opened and was able to reserve a Toyota 4 Runner. They said the minivans were all taken. It appears they do have other choices. I didn't save the local number but I'm sure you can find it online.

Merced Mike had said he rented a van which held 7 comfortably....we have 7 in our party in September and wanted to rent a van, but on all the websites I've been on with AVIS, they say they do not have a van.....any info on this??

Actually, we had reserved two cars on the website, because you are right it did not show a van. When we walked in to the office, the girl asked us if we would rather have the van and we said sure! I guess we got lucky.;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thank you so much!!! We will call them tomorrow! Hopefully it will be early enough. I'm really getting excited. I'm usually such a warm weather girl, but the scenery and all the comments from posters here, have me really looking forward to a wonderful trip. Thanks to a lot of you on here who have helped me with all the decisions, I think its all going to work out to be fantastic.

Did anyone who booked with Avis use any kind of discount code or coupon? Will they honor anything? Trying to find way to lower the full cost of the cars, but not sure if they do? Need codes!!!

Did anyone who booked with Avis use any kind of discount code or coupon? Will they honor anything? Trying to find way to lower the full cost of the cars, but not sure if they do? Need codes!!!

John, there was a post with a list of codes several days ago. Perhaps try a search for it??

Archived