Your Recommendations for Water Shoes...

EggDropErin

Greetings all. I'm not trying to find something to make a fashion statement, so I thought I would ask this question here. After swimming in Labadee earlier this year and getting pieces of sea urchin in each foot, I have come to the conclusion that I really need to invest in a decent pair of water shoes. I'm willing to spend the money for a good pair. One that the lining won't bunch up in, one that has good treads on the bottom, one that is comfortable (ie. no rough edges of any sort in the shoe that will rub blisters). I already own Crocs, a yellow pair of water shoes from JC Penney (can't recall the brand...it's one of their popular brands if I remember correctly), and a cheap pair I bought at a water park last weekend. None of them seem like they would stand up againt the ocean's rough bottom and its mean sea creatures. LOL All help is appreciated.

I just bought a pair of Crocs, (maryjanes) last night for walking through the rain forests and the water , hoping they will stay on better with that extra strap. they seem very comfortable and sterdy, im not so sure that they will be good for the ocean, but thats what I got, I hope they stay on . any thoughts on mens Walking / water shoes ?

I have found that Land's End www.landsend.com has a great selection of water shoes, hiking shoes, flip flops, croc-style shoes, etc. I have shopped on line and via catalogue for years with them and found that everything I buy whether it be tees, jeans, shoes, gowns are great quality and last for years. They are a highly respected company to do business with. gg

I second the Lands end water shoe. I have had a pair for many years that have held up through many trips to water parks, oceans, beaches and other excursions. They are comfortable to walk in and provide a lot of protection and support. I just make sure to rinse them out well and let them dry.

I have found some pretty good ones at both Wal-Mart & Academy. I like the ones with decent bottom tread and have the elastic "laces" that are adjustable. The ones at Land's End or LL Bean are really good, but I've picked them up at the end of the season when they are heavily discounted.

As far as Crocs go, I wouldn't think they would work well as a water shoe because they fit pretty loosely, which could cause sprained ankles or falls. And because they float, walking in them in the ocean is tough.

the more open shoes like Tevas. For me, I have a lot of swelling problems with my feet when I cruise (Which I didn't consider when choosing water shoes) and got the tennis shoe typefrom Lands' End. Not only did I have to squeeze my swollen feet into them, but then they rubbed and I got blisters. Everyone told me to get those so I wouldn't get the tiny rocks in my shoes, like people do with Teva's, but I did anyway.

I bought ours at shoes.com for a decent price. I searched out a coupon code and used it for 20% off my order. I'm not sure if it's still valid though. Free shipping and a 115% price guarantee, can't beat that! :)

shoes_iaec1010141.jpg

Mine

shoes_iaec1035935.jpg

My fiance's

Your local scuba shop carries different brands that are used with open heel fins and are worn on the deck of boats before fins get put on. They have rugged bottoms for rocky shore entries with wetsuit material for uppers. They are made to stand up to alot of wear and tear and are very comfortable.

Here is a link that will start you in the right direction and you can google from there.

http://www.deepseeinc.com/products/beachwalker.html

I have water shoes from both Lands End and Walmart. The Lands End ones are more sturdy, but the Walmart ones at $7.99 are just fine and they take up less space in my suitcase.

Another vote for Land's End! I have two pair --- one that are like running shoes with the toggle end on the elastic, and the other are slip ons. I really prefer the toggle end ones because I can loosen/tighten as necessary.

I agree with the poster who said they run a bit large. You might want to buy them 1/2 size small. Also, they have ones that are very similar at Bealls (Florida), but they aren't quite as durable. I wear mine on cruises, on the beach every weekend and also to mow the lawn!

I love Merrell's...my recommendation is a shoe by Merrell called the Ultra Sport Water Pro. Although it's a bit pricey...these shoes are very comfortable and run true to size. This is a lace up version....wear them in the water, use them in the gym and also walk long distances...so you can really "kill three birds with one stone." They are also lightweight and good looking and dry quickly. How great is that?!

Archived