HAL questions

lizbeth

Hi -

My husband and I are new to Holland America and we have several questions about our upcoming cruise (August 25 Oosterdam, Alaska).

1. We booked yesterday and we have a "suite guarantee" ... is this bad? What are the suite perks? Is there a butler in addition to a room steward for the suites?

2. We were assigned an 8:30 p.m. dining time -- we were told all earlier dining times were full. We simply cannot eat at 8:30 at night. First, my spouse is diabetic and we have a doctor's note. My travel agent says that HAL does not accept these any more!! Oh dear! Are we going to have to pay to eat in the specialty restaurant each night? What can we do?

3. I particularly enjoy the trivia games. Will they have trivia contests on board in Alaska? Or is this cruise too port-intensive to do that?

4. How early do you think we can board on embarkation day? Is HAL docking at Pier 30 in Seattle?

5. What is hunky dory?

Thanks so much. Cruise Critic members are the greatest when it comes to answering questions for one another! We look forward to your replies!

Liz:)

Hunky Dory is a person -- he works in the Lido - especially at lunch time - hand out trays and once you tell him your name he will remember it for the rest of the cruise (he couldn't remember mine). He also has tables in the dining room for dinner.

You can order anything from the regular dinner menu (which will be delivered to your suite each morning) and have dinner in your suite. Must order within first half hour of when the Dining Room opens - just tell them what time you want to eat. You can also go to the Lido for dinner each evening - casual - usually opens around 6 PM.

You can arrive at the pier at 11 - embarkation should start around 11:30 at which time you can either go to the Lido for lunch or to the Neptune Lounge for snacks and introduce yourself to your concierges.

There will be trivia games - not as many as on a Caribbean cruise.

Did you book an SA, SB, or SC guarantee? Those cabins are the ones that have access to the Neptune Lounge and have a few perks like:

invitation to a cocktail party the first night

separate embarkation check-in desk

priority embarkation

priority disembarkation

priority tender service

personalized stationary

free use of binoculars

free use of a large umbrella

free laundry

free dry cleaning

free pressing

free shoe polishing

boutonniere and corsage for the first formal night

free bottle of champagne compliments of the captain and hotel manager

concierge service

MAYBE a suite buffet near the end of the cruise

Try going to the Dining Room manager first chance you get after boarding to see if they can change you to the earlier seating. Bring the doctor's note. I have no idea whether or not this will work, but it can't hurt to try.

Also, I think Oosterdam may have the option of open seating dining for this cruise, which would allow you to dine when you wish, though not necessarily at the same table or with the same staff and tablemates each night. If the earlier time is more important to you than the assigned table, you could try switching to open seating. The only problem is that you may sometimes have to wait a little while for a table - but certainly not until 8:30 pm!

Speak with the dining room manager once you've boarded the ship. He will know which passengers have reserved space in the Pinnacle Grill and will have an updated list every day. Ask when would be the best time to see him each day to request your seating. Your patience and good humor will probably get you a reserved seat by the second day. So many people yell at the dining room manager that it is only natural for him to accommodate the quiet, mannerly people.

Also... If you are in a Deluxe Suite check with the Neptune Lounge Concierge. Many times the Concierge can change dining room times and tables without you having to stand in line with the dining room manager.

We travel with a friend who is a diabetic (on insulin) & we always have dinner at the 8:30 seating..This is our friends choice.. However, he either goes to late afternoon tea with my DH or we go into the Lido in the late afternoon to be sure he gets something small to eat to tide him over..

If you are unable to change your seating, suggest you speak to his Physician and ask if you could do this in order to tide your DH over till late seating..It would be a shame to miss the wonderful Dining Room experience..

Good luck & enjoy your cruise:) Betty

Try going to the Dining Room manager first chance you get after boarding to see if they can change you to the earlier seating. Bring the doctor's note. I have no idea whether or not this will work, but it can't hurt to try.
I recall a post by a gentleman who had worked as an Assistant Maitre d'hotel (the person who usually does the table assignments and changes) and he said he always gave the people with doctor's notes first priority on table changes.

OP: even on AK cruises you will have at least two sea days, and there will definitely be team trivia games on those days. They may be scheduled on other days too, but sometimes things get cancelled if not enough people show up.

Like many of the others, we have cruised a lot of different lines and concur with most of what has been said. We have never been turned down for changing to earlier seating and we had no doctor's note. I will be interested to hear when you get back how it went. Don't miss the dining room experience. You can order to your room at no extra charge 24/7. So a snack is possible to hold you over until meal time. My problem is eating late and then wanting to go to bed soon afterwards. I get into big trouble when I do that. Oh the problems of old age!

Loovetootravel

Did you book an SA, SB, or SC guarantee? Those cabins are the ones that have access to the Neptune Lounge and have a few perks like:

invitation to a cocktail party the first night

separate embarkation check-in desk

priority embarkation

priority disembarkation

priority tender service

personalized stationary

free use of binoculars

free use of a large umbrella

free laundry

free dry cleaning

free pressing

free shoe polishing

boutonniere and corsage for the first formal night

free bottle of champagne compliments of the captain and hotel manager

concierge service

MAYBE a suite buffet near the end of the cruise

Isn't shoe polishing free in all cabins? I thought it was on the Veendam?

I am amazed. I double-checked, and HAL will no longer honor doctor letters for diabetics to dine at a particular time. This is a somewhat recent change in their policy, and it STINKS.

Having said that, your TA can and should call HAL and speak with Ship Services about your dilemma. The Dining Dept lies within Ship Services Department.

Generally, the cruise line assigns X% of the seats at a particular seating, and holds the remainder to be assigned much closer to sailing. There should be a way for your TA to wangle your getting the dining you need.

If you're uncomfortable not having the main seating confirmed, please don't feel uneasy asking the TA to pursue this. This is what good TA's do.

Please keep us posted.

I am amazed. I double-checked, and HAL will no longer honor doctor letters for diabetics to dine at a particular time. This is a somewhat recent change in their policy, and it STINKS.
I don't doubt that this is official policy of HAL booking in Seattle, but the final say is with the ship Dining Room Manager (or more usually the Assistant). Plead your case once you get on the ship.

I heard of one instance where a person was refused a change to their needed dining time, and went to the Front Desk and said they wanted to reduce their auto-tip by $3.50/day/person because they wouldn't be eating in the dining room all week. The next day they had their change. ;)

I heard of one instance where a person was refused a change to their needed dining time, and went to the Front Desk and said they wanted to reduce their auto-tip by $3.50/day/person because they wouldn't be eating in the dining room all week. The next day they had their change. ;)

LOL!!!! Now THAT'S what I call creative thinking!!

I don't doubt that this is official policy of HAL booking in Seattle, but the final say is with the ship Dining Room Manager (or more usually the Assistant). Plead your case once you get on the ship.

I couldn't agree more that the Dining Room Manager or the Asst will be able to make the change onboard to early dining for these passengers. And if the passengers don't get it arranged ahead of time, that's just what to do. I'm just saying that I feel the TA should be able to arrange it ahead of time by knowing whom to speak with at HAL.

If I were these passengers, I'd be uncomfortable not knowing my dining time in advance ... timed meals are something you learn to live with when diabetic ...

2. We were assigned an 8:30 p.m. dining time -- we were told all earlier dining times were full. We simply cannot eat at 8:30 at night. First, my spouse is diabetic and we have a doctor's note. My travel agent says that HAL does not accept these any more!! Oh dear! Are we going to have to pay to eat in the specialty restaurant each night? What can we do?

I'm also diabetic and always eat at the 8/8:15/8:30 seating. It isn't the time that he dines, but the spacing out of meals that's important. I'm sure that if your husband ate dinner at 6:30 he'd need a late snack at 10 or 11, wouldn't he?

Travel often means having to adjust your personal schedule, but that shouldn't put a crimp in your plans...

Liz:)

Liz - I do not begin to say I understand your spouse's set of diabetic circumstances, but maybe sharing ours with you will help. My husband has been insulin dep. diabetic since he was 27. He is now 61. We have taken several cruises, with another to Alaska in July and always REQUESTED late dining. We do this to give ourselves more time in port and to give ourselves as much daylight hours outside as possible. My husband refuses to let the diabetes define him.....but rather has learned how to manage it while still doing pretty much anything he wants at any time of day or night. He checks his blood sugar level before every meal, then at bedtime and takes insulin accordingly, or if he feels it may be too low, he will check it. Therefore he is able to eat meals at varying times. If he knows we will be dining late, he will have some type of snack, such as cheese and crackers, fruit, etc. You already know that the idea is to keep the sugar as level as possible all day long and with close monitoring (even on vacation) he can do this. I agree with previous posters who have mentioned talking to your doctor and or doctor's dietician for tips on being flexible about eating. And it will free you up so much more and make travel for you much more enjoyable. gg

A few months ago I called Ships Services Dept. about the late dining time they unexpectantly listed on the confirmation for our July Alaska cruise on the Zaandam. I am not only diabetic but have other medical issues; plus I hate late dining. I would have cancelled (and told them that) and tried for a different cruise; however, they immediately gave me the earlier dining time that I requested.

Perhaps I was early enough in my request, but I would certainly suggest a call to Ships Services.

Hi fellow HAL cruisers -

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your wonderful suggestions. My spouse and I feel so much better about this O'dam cruise now, and I am sure we will be able to accommodate his special needs.

I'm going to try some of your suggestions (calling Ship Services and talking to the maitr'd when we board), and I'll let you know how it all pans out.

We are both looking forward to our first Alaska experience!

Thanks again,

Liz

Archived