regal princess to midway island???????????

rjnaz

5/31/2007

Regal Princess Passengers Get Unique Opportunity to Help Celebrate 65th Anniversary of the Battle of Midway

Special June 4 Ceremony Commemorates one of Pacific's Most Decisive Battles

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (May 31, 2007) - When Regal Princess arrives in Midway on June 4, passengers will have the unique opportunity to relive history by attending a historic ceremony marking the 65th anniversary of one of the most famous Pacific battles of World War II.

Passengers on this special Hawaii & Midway Islands Anniversary sailing will join Midway veterans, local officials, military leaders, media and representatives of the Department of the Interior and Fish and Wildlife Service for a celebration featuring the commander of the Pacific fleet, the governor of Hawaii, the secretary of the interior and other dignitaries as they pay tribute to this important turning point of the war. Although the island usually limits the number of passengers ashore at one time, for this ceremony all passengers aboard Regal Princess will be welcome to attend.

"We're delighted that our passengers will have such unprecedented access to this once-in-a-lifetime occasion, something they'll no doubt remember for the rest of their lives," said Jan Swartz, Princess' senior vice president. "Developing this special Midway cruise which commemorates the anniversary of such a major world event is indicative of the special experiences we strive to offer our passengers."

Passengers attending the ceremony will be part of a moving event featuring the Navy band, color guard, and a wreath presentation and remarks by numerous dignitaries who have flown to this usually isolated location for the occasion.

The Battle of Midway raged from June 4-7, 1942 when Japanese naval forces attempted to capture the US Naval Air Station on the island. This historic fight turned the tide of the war when U.S. forces destroyed four Japanese aircraft carriers in what became Japan's last major offensive.

Midway served as a naval station until 1993. Today the three islands that make up the Midway atoll are operated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as a protected wildlife sanctuary which is part of the Papahänaumokuäkea Marine National Monument. Midway makes up one of the Western-most coral outcrops of the Hawaiian Islands, and is an important bird sanctuary serving as home to the largest nesting colony of Laysan and black-footed albatross in the world. Regal Princess' Hawaii and Midway Islands Anniversary sailing, which departed May 28, is sailing roundtrip from Los Angeles and also features calls in Kauai, Honolulu, Maui (Lahaina), Kona, and Hilo.

My parents are on this cruise and are having an amazing time. My stepfather served at Midway. Thought I would share some of the email my mom just sent me about yesterday. Apparently a good portion of the ship is retired military service men and women. So stories are being passed all around. I guess the ship is having daily get togethers for servicemen so they can share stories.

Here is some that went on yesterday...

(Dale is my stepfather)

The ceremony honoring the veterans of the Battle of Midway was very moving and we got to meet the governor of Hawaii (a rather young looking woman) Linda lingle I think her name was. Also the Secretary of the Interior. They presented a big wreath to the veterans and the Navy band played the Navy Hymn and Dale saluted and I just practically lost it. The flags in the wind all blowing everywhere and then they did a 21 gun salute and taps. Sheesh!

Archived