cruising the worst month of the year for hurricane season

sept07cruiser

Hi - I'm new and need advice!

In order to take advantage of the Free Disney Dining, we are going to be at Walt Disney World for a week in Sept followed by a 4 night Bahamian cruise on the Disney Wonder (cruise will be Sept 23 - Sept 27).

We pushed the dates out as far as possible to still get the free dining, but ensure school would be well underway so less crowds at WDW, which is how we came to the dates we did.

Last night I looked at hurricane history in the Bahamas and it appears that September is the absolute worst month of the entire year for hurricanes, and not only that, but Nassau historically averages getting hit once every 3 years and this is the third year. And predictions are above avg for 07.

In other threads, people have mentioned they willl never attempt a cruise in Sept again.

I am starting to freak out a little bit. We don't care so much about itinerary changes, but I am primarily concerned about safety - I read about how the Windjammer Fontane cruise ship in 1998 sunk with only the crew aboard because a hurricane literally and unpredictably chased them till there was no options left. All lives were lost. Who is to say a hurricane can't unpredictably do that again? And then was free dining worth is? I also don't want to spend the whole time puking and watching other people puke because we are sailing aroung a hurricane in rough water.

Should we reschedule and eat over a thousand of dollars in cancellation fees and paying for all food out of pocket on the rescheduled trip for sometime in November. Or am I just being paranoid?

Has anyone cruised in Sept before? Has anyone cruised around a hurricane? How well can we trust the captains? Does anyone know of any place to get Disney's approach to hurricanes and their safety record on how they navigated and handled previous hurricanes?

The ships usually just change their itinerary to avoid the storm. We've cruised several times in August & September. Sometimes we get a couple extra on the ship if it can't get into the port.

If you check the weather for tonight, the Gulf, and Caribbean are being hit with 50mph. winds, and seas of 12' to 20'. Actually Disney, and most other lines avoid bad weather, as much as possible. However they do have to get back to port, and sometimes that means going through the weather. Both Disney ships are fairly stable in seas of up to 12'. We have done 5 Fall cruise's, and out of 28 sailing day's, only encountered big seas, 15'+, for a period of about 5 hours. Did not see anybody puking. So just take your chances, and chances are you'll have decent weather. And don't forget travel insurance. Metrowon

I would just keep it the same...as long as you're flexible with the ships need to possibly alter the itinerary you should have no problem...its possible that you'll have great weather and a perfect cruise as well...cruise line will do everything possible to keep your safe and the cruise enjoyable, they have a strong vested interest in both. There have been hurricanes every year since that 1998 tragedy and I think without major incident

My Fall cruising advice:

1. Buy trip insurance and arrive the day before departure. this gives you a margin of error in case of bad weather.

2. Meclizine (Bonine, Dramamine less-drowzy) Take one an hour before you get inderway just in case. Ditch the ginger, sea bands, voodoo spells and other ineffective remedies.

3. Don't worry, the Fantome was a sailing ship built in 1927 that was unsuited for storms. Modern cruise ships are built much better. In seas they will ballast up, kick in some horsepower and get away from the storms. Most ships are capable of 22-25 knots, way faster than a hurricane. BTW, Fantome is French for ghost.

4. Enjoy the adventure if you get re-routed to different ports.

As long as you can "roll" with the punches you will be fine. We have been on hurricane diverted cruises and found it exciting, even ended up on an entire cruise to nowhere outrunning the storm, I'd take that over the norwalk cruise any day LOL

you never know how bad or long hurricane season will be, go ahead with your plans and just be adaptable :) heck you are with the mouse how bad could it be :)

Don't spend the next few months agonizing and worrying about weather.

Until you are 7 or so days out... then you'll KNOW if there's something brewing to be concerned about. And so will Disney.

Hurricanes don't "sneak up" on the prepared. They just simply don't. Yes, the "actual track" is somewhat unpredictable, but the forecast models are generally very good within 24 hours, and that's plenty of time to move to another location to avoid the worst.

Buy insurance. Be flexible. ENJOY the planning.

The Mouse will take care of the rest!

(ps.. we're cruising right before you are.. the 16th - 20th, and we have oceanfront property on the lower outer banks of NC... we deal with Hurricanes, Tropical Storms, N'oreasters, etc..regularly... as long as you're prepared, use the sense you were given, and follow official orders, you'll be just fine!)

The Fantome was not like a modern cruise ship and what happened to her was that she got trapped.

Worse case for you is that a hurricane is bearing down on Port Canaveral on your embarkation or disembarkation day. If it you embarkation day, then the cruise will probably be cancelled. Since you will be at Disney you can either hole up at your hotel (provided they have room) or find another hotel ifthey don't.

If you are at sea, the ship will avoid the storm. I have cruised many times in September and will do so again this coming September. The only caveat I give people is if they have their heart set a particular port and it is a once in a life time trip then I would schedule for another time.

Archived