Maasdam May 19 Sydney

Gunters Oma

Wakeup call and room service were almost simultaneous - 6:45AM. A late start for us. We dress and head to the Lido for breakfast.

Winds: Force 4 (slight breeze) temp: 41 degrees

41degrees…it's absolutely balmy! We are on the sky deck watching the Maasdam's progress into the harbor. DH looks at me and says…"The ship is stopping" - (now DH is an ex-Navy guy - did a stint on an aircraft carrier - he actually said, "We're dead in the water") either way - he was correct! Now the thrusters kick in and we do a 180 in the channel! This is cool stuff…we are loving it! Maasdam glides backwards in the channel and over to the dock! This is geek stuff extraordinaire!

Sydney…Sydney - what a wonderful town! From the moment we saw the big violin, we knew we were in for something special. Be sure to check out the shops at the pier. Everything is handcrafted by the locals…the stuff is most excellent! I guarantee you will not see these items at any other store. Plus the exhibit area on the second floor is very well done…and informative. We spent a goodly amount of time there. It is definitely worth a detour!

We bought a Waldgeist…a carved wooden form with leaves or twigs for hair and beard. It was believed that Waldgeists could foretell the future and were sought for this purpose. The term "knock on wood" was believed to have originated with the hunters and woodsmen who would, upon entering the forest, knock on a large old tree to awaken the Waldgeist to ensure no evil came to them. The carver, Winton Caines, was there and signed it for us.

Our geek tour is not until the afternoon so we do a walkabout. We explored the Cossit House and Jost Heritage House. If you are interested in early history - do not miss these places. The guides, dressed in period costumes, are extremely knowledgeable. We were so engrossed in this little city - time just slipped away. We hurried to the bus for our tour --- Black Gold - A Cape Breton Mine Experience.

Okay - be aware the DH is a model railroader and builder of miniatures…with a special interest in mining and timber. Over the years I've acquired an interest in these subjects. (What we do for love.;)) That being said…This was a great tour; but it is not for everyone. It is high on the geek scale - but if you have an interest in mining - particularly of days gone by - this is not to be missed. The tour was conducted by Wish Donovan. Wish, like all the tour guides, are former miners - local to the area…what a fountain of knowledge and stories! He talked about his experiences, plus those of this father and grandfathers…with tales of the company store, gas explosions and the brotherhood of miners. The actual mine experience is cold, dank, wet, and incredible. How do these men do this! I can not imagine! The walk is wet and uneven, dark in spots and in some places only 4 feet high - so you are stooping. You must wear a hard hat and bib-type cover for your clothes. The "real" mine description and working conditions are only too vivid as you walk.

There was an exhibit hall and several movies; plus they also had a company store and miner's house that were unavailable to us. The museum was not official open for the season…the tour was specifically for the Maasdam.

We left the mine museum; past the local harbor so we could see what an authentic fishing harbor looked like (words of our bus tour guide - Almina, who was a true gem) and stopped at the Glace Bay Museum. Awaiting us there were many volunteers to show us around and answer questions. (Again the museum was not official open.)

But first -- we went into the courtroom of the Old Town Hall. We were served homemade (by the volunteers) scones and oat cakes! Miss Rose, age 92, made the scones and they were kissed by the angels…soooooooo delicious!

FYI…for those not interested in the mining tour - several folks said the Cabot Trail was awesome!

The Master Chef's Dinner was at 5:30 for the early seating. A quick change of clothes and we were on our way…but not the ship! While we had mixed feelings about the Anything Goes night, we both like the Chef's Dinner - granted there is a certain silliness to this event - but it was fun (she says holding Gunter so that he can see the salad making!) DH had the duck - filet mignon for me. Another superb dinner.

During this event the Captain announces there is a small problem with the engine and the chief engineer is "looking into it". Our sailaway will be delayed. Yes, folks - the start of " the worst of times" is upon us. According to the Captain's log we "commence sea voyage at 7:42PM."

Over to the show lounge for Barnaby! Oh laughter! Oh joy! This was a trip highlight! A quote from his website (<- thanks John) says it better than I ever could:

Seven people died laughing last night during a show by Barnaby the Juggler. Six of the victims laughed until their sides split, and the seventh unfortunate victim laughed his head off. Eighty-six others were injured rolling in the aisles.

Witnesses said Barnaby escaped backstage, still firing one-liners as he fled. One witness quoted Barnaby before the show as saying, "Tonight I'm going to kill 'em." His agent's only comment was, "Book him."

Before the start of the International Food Fair - we head over the Lifestyles photographer for a photo op! These are the pictures done on an all white or all black background. The poses are casual…um that would be "smart casual." If you have not done this --- take a look at some of the ones on display - they are good! Our photographer, Filip, was an artiste! He did not do us justice…he was better - he did us mercy! Even I liked the photos! I generally hide from cameras!

Unfortunately, Gunter was back in cabin enjoying the company of the towel dog, so he was not included. Never fear…tomorrow is another day with another evening and another photo op!

Sometime during the evening the Captain announces the engine problem is due to a computer malfunction. They have been in constant contact with Seattle and someone will be flying in tomorrow to diagnosis the problem. In the meantime, our speed capability is reduced; the best we can do is 16.5 kts. We will be late arriving in Halifax, but our time will be extended to 7PM. Also the dress code will be changed from formal to casual.

The Food Fair - "a special treat for you…food from all around the world…all around the ship (actually deck 8). Enjoy special delights made of chocolate and other confections to tempt you" 10:30 - midnight. Some excellent food carvings, bread critters and presentation of goodies; sweet and otherwise…some Asian, Mexican, and mini hot dogs and burgers! A chocolate fountain with fresh fruit!

We sample a few things and head to the Ocean Lounge to watch the most charming extra-senior couple dance. Truly a joy! Then back to the cabin for the night.

1092241077_SydCossit.jpg.130a786fb55d01727b8b88b5e0e46125.jpg

Wish.jpg.4632f539563e0660a73aa1739cbf273c.jpg

It's been quite a pleasure reading all about your adventures. Being born and raised in Sydney, it's so nice to hear that so many people enjoy it as it really is a beautiful spot. Here's hoping you enjoyed Halifax (my current home) as much.

Archived