best time to book a cruise?

hockeymom97

When do you think is the best time to book a cruise (price-wise)? I have one booked Nov 07 and am looking to book another one for March 08. It seems like there's a lot of debate over whether the best pricing is far in advance or whether you get better deals waiting until last minute. I was just wondering what some of the more experienced cruisers had to say on when they thought they received the best deals.....and whether they were booking with a TA or direct thru the cruise line. :confused:

DH booked through a PVP...just called the number and got her. I will be booking through Carnival again...very nice experience for us.

As for when to book...not sure. We booked in July (his anniversary gift to me/us) and we left in late August. I thought the price was great!!! I hope others can offer more advise about this for ya...and I'll make note as well.

We tend to book 9 to 12 months out. We like to have a cruise to look forward to. I also tend to read everything I can about our next ship, etc. For us we have always seen the price drop and have gotten a upgrade or obc. :)

We tend to book 9 to 12 months out. We like to have a cruise to look forward to. I also tend to read everything I can about our next ship, etc. For us we have always seen the price drop and have gotten a upgrade or obc. :)

That brings up another question (not to change the subject of the thread) - when people say if the price drops that you'll get the lower rate - is this something that I need to monitor? And does this only apply to the price posted on the Carnival web site? How does that work - if I see a bterr rate I call my TA? I can't imagine my TA calling me and giving me a better price as that would lower her commissions.:eek:

Well some TA's work it better than others. :D My TA is pretty good about watching prices. When we book we are paying lower than what is on the cruiseline's website. Sometimes, not by much. I myself, just watch the site (alomost every day) to see if the price has dropped on what we have. If I see it before my TA, I call her and she does her thing. They have just always dropped for us. I think my TA uses a different way to search though because last September she saw a drop I did not and we had an obc of 500.00. We have nver ever gotten anything that close. We love her. :D lol You know, I am not sure how that whole commission thing works. I wouldn't think she would pass over 500.00 from her commission.

I think it might depend on the type of cabin you are booking. I watched the prices on the cruise I had booked in February, 3 1/2 months in advance. The OV and Interior cabins remained the same price. The suite I had booked went up $150 pp from the time I booked it. I guess because they are so few, they are in more demand at the last minute.

Jane

It depends on the cruise, time of cruise, and what you book. We booked a past guest special in March for November, guarantee price on balcony w/best available upgrade (which happened to be Panorama Deck). The price on balconies has RISEN twice since then on guarantees. If a cruise starts filling up the price will go up. If not, the price will go down. I check every week anyway.

Price wise, you are pretty much right on the mark, anytime in Nov and Dec NOT on holiday weeks though. For earlier in the year, the best price can be had in January, then Feb, then March, with Jan. being best.

When do you think is the best time to book a cruise (price-wise)? I have one booked Nov 07 and am looking to book another one for March 08. It seems like there's a lot of debate over whether the best pricing is far in advance or whether you get better deals waiting until last minute. I was just wondering what some of the more experienced cruisers had to say on when they thought they received the best deals.....and whether they were booking with a TA or direct thru the cruise line. :confused:

Hockeymom, I am by no means an expert on cruises (yet) lol, but I am a part-time TA, and am getting ready for my 22nd cruise in about 9 years. Have traveled many differant times in the year, but for BEST prices, go during hurricane season. I advise most of my clients to do this for the best prices, and have had only 1 complaint. Reason being, the cruise lines are NOT going to take unnecessary chances with a 500 million dollar ship OR their guests lives either.

If you have your heart set on a particular destination, then by no means, do not go during this time. But if you want a fun, sometimes exciting and sometimes better cruise in the long run, then go from late August through end of Oct.

I have on 4 occassions been on a ship that was either delayed, extended for 3 more days, or outran a storm.I was given a 50% off my next cruise, a 25% off my next cruise, and had a M-F cruise extended till Monday at the cruiseline's expense. Have went from 2900 people on a ship to 400 people on a ship, and had a blast the entire time as well as making some life long friends. Just depends on what you want out of your cruise. Hope this helps some on what I consider the best time for low prices. Good Luck.

Don't wait until the last minute for a March cruise. Spring breaks generally start about that time (ours in the second week of March). I had clients trying to book triples and quads in January for March ... all full due to Spring Break and the price for doubles were high because the ships were almost full. Air was difficult to arrange because all the flights that had the optimal schedule were already full or very expensive. Ended up using cruiseline airline and had a forced day before fly in.

Best rates are fall and winter (excluding the holidays). Highest rates... summer and holidays.

I agree - it seems like the prices are higher for the week we want to go (departing March 22 or 23) because of spring break but that's the exact reason that we are looking to travel at that time - my 10 yr old is out of school that week. I'm prepared to pay a little more - but I'd still like to try and find the best deal I can =)

Everyone mocked me for booking our cruise this Nov because it was the week of Thanksgiving - they all said the prices would be outrageous because of the holiday - but I shopped around and I ended up getting a GTY Balcony for less than $550 per person - so I know that there are good deals for those willing to shop around for them:D And I figured with all of the experienced cruisers on this board someone might have some good advice! It can't hurt to ask right??:D

Archived