Valencia, Spain Questions

nyfeds

We are cruising the Med in November on the Voyager. We dock for about 4 hours in Valencia.

Are taxis readily available at the dock? Does anyone have any touring services to recommend for a 2-3 hour tour of Valencia?

Thanks.

With such a short time in port, we decided to take Regent's tour of the city. One of the highlights was seeing the genius of Calatrava, a brilliant architect who is changing the face of this city.

The Voyager docked immediately adjacent to the newly built basin area for the America's Cup teams, and it was fun to watch the teams moving around preparing for the next race.

In this instance, we found the ship's tour to be the most efficient use of time.

Enjoy!

Pincus

You are right Pincus. I admire tremendously Calatrava's work. If you ever fly into Madrid airport you'll be able to admire his work in the new Terminal 4. It's amazing. Wish all airports were like that!

At a minimum I'll want to see even if just briefly the City of Arts and Sciences designed by him.

Pincus, Did you spend anytime there during the Regent excursion?

Thanks!

We were in Valencia Nov. 2006. The RSSC city tour was quite good. We opted for the one that also included the Falas Museum. If you have never heard of Valencia's Falas Festival (we had not), I think you would find that very interesting, as well.

Thanks everyone, for answering a question that I was soon going to get around to asking. We (my sister and I) will also be on the Voyager in November for the Med. portion as well as the crossing. It sounds like the Regent city tour is the way to go, in light of the limited time we are in port. Am I to understand, from something I read recently on this board that they have cancelled Casablanca? Is there another port in place of, or what? Any comments are greatly apprecated.

Greytstuff - they have not so far cancelled Casablanca, nor did they on the Voyager Spring crossing. They did however, cancel it on the Navigator Spring crossing for some reason. But as far as the Nov cruise, at this point Casablanca is still on the itinerary.

See you onboard!:cool:

cruiseluv, because much of Valencia was closed for a religious holiday that day, we spent extra time around the new area, with a drive by the opera house. We did not go into any of the buildings.

My memory is that there were three tours sponsored by Regent, and one dealt with the City of Arts and Sciences exclusively.

Hope you see it on your cruise.

The area he has created is just magnificent. And the locals revere him.

Enjoy!

Pincus

You are right Pincus. I admire tremendously Calatrava's work. If you ever fly into Madrid airport you'll be able to admire his work in the new Terminal 4. It's amazing. Wish all airports were like that!

At a minimum I'll want to see even if just briefly the City of Arts and Sciences designed by him.

Pincus, Did you spend anytime there during the Regent excursion?

Thanks!

Thanks Pincus and St. Michelle,

Yes, I have heard about las Fallas. I didn't know they had a museum about it.

My initial inclination is to take a taxi but we'll see. It is too bad they only have 4 hours in port . By the time we get off the ship and go to town, it'll be almost time to come back!

Hi greytstuff,

Maybe we'll see you onboard!

Thanks, JoAnn, I guess it was then the Navigator where Casablanca was cancelled. Yea, I'm glad as I really want to got to Casablanca. Guess it just sounds so romantic an mysterious. Will have to figure out the best shore excursion for the relatively short time in port.

Hi CruiseLuv, hope to see you on board also. There has been a little discussion between JoAnn and I about a possible CC party sometime on this cruise. She said there is a good group from another board also sailing this cruise. There is plenty of time to fine tune that. Hard to believe that sometime next month (I think) we can start reserving shore excursions. We are still on the wait list for an E or F catagory, so far nothing has opened up. Maybe in a month or so when final payment gets close. If not, I will be happy with D. Just thinking the price difference would probably pay for a nice shore excursion or something.

Thanks again, Pincus and Ste. Michelle. Lots of good options, but so little time to do this port justice. With only 4 hours, we may opt to choose a Regent excursion to make the most of the brief time there.

Greystuff, we will be on your cruise, too. I hope we have a chance to meet!

Greystuff - actually I don't know of any other CC'ers onboard, only those from the other board, but you and your sister would be welcome to join in with those of us from the other board. I don't know if you are going to clear your lower category cabin, as the TA portion is totally on a waitlist at this point, but who knows there could be some drop outs at final payment time which is coming up fairly soon. If not I'm sure you will be fine in your category D cabin. Will keep fingers crossed that you do clear for a lower category.

In the meantime, looking forward to meeting you. As the sailing gets closer we will try to work out a meeting time and place.

JoAnn & Cruiseluv, I think you are probably right. It's no big deal if we don't get the lower catagory. I'll just have to come up with a few more bucks, work a few more hours or whatever.

Nyfeds, where in So. Cal. are you? I'm in Oceanside (No. San Diego County). Will you be flying out of LAX and spending the night before embarkation in Nice? That's what Regent arranged for us.

Hi Greystuff,

We're almost neighbors. We live in Orange County. We leave on Oct. 30 out of LAX. We will spend a few days, pre-cruise, in Nice and surrounding small villages, prior to embarkation.

Hoping we will meet on the crossing.

We're on that one too - Monte Carlo to FLL..

We usually do sailaway cocktails. Sailing out of Monte Carlo is quite beautiful. There are about 20 of us who have previously sailed or met one another, so I am sure you will not have a hard time spotting all of us smiling happy people. Yes, final payment time will be here before we know it - which means the booking can begin! I think August 3rd is the final deadline for payment!

Good for you Nyfed, am sure you will have a great few days before embarkation, wish we could spare the extra time.

Chatkat, when are you flying out? I know I'm sure looking forward to the cruise, just not the flight. I hate those long transcontinental flights. Now if I could afford 1st class it might be a different story. The last time we flew abroad it was on Lufthansa and it was abominable. Maybe it was just that crew but they didn't pick up or clean up anything the whole time. By the time we landed in Frankfurt the plane was a real pig sty. I mentioned this to Regent when booking trying to find out who the carrier would be this time but as yet they hadn't contracted. I was told that it would probably be Lufthansa as that was their carrier of choice. I just may have to pop an Ambien CR and call it a day.

Hi Greytstuff,

YUCK about Lufthansa! Interesting since I have frequently read people complimenting them . maybe they were First class passengers ( that can be a separate universe within the same plane!).

Hope you have better luck this time!

I am in the same group as Chat Kat. If you see what looks like it could be our group come and introduce yourself!

Archived