Perfect, A+, impeccable dining room service - except one evening

mpk

Princess really exceeded my expectations in the dining room on every meal. Things went wonderfully, except one evening when the waiter pushed for a wine order no less than *four* times in a row. I clearly declined each time, letting him know that everyone at the table is dry.

Sometimes, there is a language issue. That was not the case this time. The waiter heard and understood me. I know this because he countered me with stuff that I hadn't experienced since a rather funny visit to a new car dealer many years ago. So we went back and forth. He finally offered a weak apology, saying that he was simply "doing his job". Our party was not rude at any time, realizing that we did not want "waiter's revenge" in our food for the evening. We couldn't really walk out either, since that is our dining room for the week.

The waiter even left the wine menu on the table "in case I change my mind". I later politely handed him the wine menu. He took it, but still left the empty wine goblets for the rest of the evening. Finally, at desert, when someone at the table ordered chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips, he said that we could only order desserts that were on the menu. Hmmm.... that is strange. That same dessert had been ordered five evenings prior and delivered without any fuss.

I am at a loss for understanding why the waiter pushed so hard for booze. I intently observed the tables around us on that same night. When they declined alcohol, and the wine menu and goblets were removed without any resistance. I could only observe two of the tables around me.

Now, we're a merry bunch, not a hard crowd to handle at all. We're not the terror that retail people cringe at, nor do we raise a ruckus. I'm confident that the rest of the staff didn't have an issue with us. I realize that the staff is paid to be friendly, but even at port when we ran into dining room staff in civilian clothes, they recognized and greeted us on their own time. One even hung out with us for a bit.

At the table, we discussed our options. We figured, hey we'll just fill out that green comment card at the table. Wait- we mysteriously don't have a green card at this table. Strange coincidence. I figure that the waiters and junior waiters that are confident of their service pre-fill out their names and leave the green card at the table. Others, like this fellow, are probably not as confident.

On my way out, I was going to get a green card to fill out, but decided not to. I have never complained about a person before, and I understand that saying that only 1 out of 100 dissatisfied customers complain. I just did not want to relive the problem, nor get my blood pressure raised yet again by complaining about the problem. Heck, I was on vacation!

Why write about this now? I wanted to find out if there is a way I can still lodge a comment of that server post cruise. Is it possible, or is it a "forget about" situation?

I probably would have had a quiet word with the Head Water or Maitre 'D as I left the dining room.
I agree – sending a letter to the cruise line now will do little for the situation. Princess – the corporate office – wants you to be happy. If you had talked to the Head Waiter or Matre’d immediately and constructively and politely explained your position, something would have been done to make you feel better.

What ship and when?

This was on the Dawn Princess 8/2/04, northbound Alaska. Personal Choice dining, Florentine dining room. Pepe, the Florentine maitre d', was superb. His staff at Florentine is so good that is easier to talk about the one bad apple than the good ones.

I agree – sending a letter to the cruise line now will do little for the situation. Princess – the corporate office – wants you to be happy. If you had talked to the Head Waiter or Matre’d immediately and constructively and politely explained your position, something would have been done to make you feel better.

I see that you're right. I agree that for a problem like this, an on the spot complaint is appropriate. Even for those of us worried about waiters revenge, a green card filled out on the last day of the cruise would have worked. Now that it is post cruise, cie la vie.

All in all, a wonderful cruise. As for the brawny waiter- I hope it was simply a bad day. We all have one once in a while.

Well we all have bad days... As for the waiter, I have found that a stern look and a firm "no" usually does the trick and if that didn't work, I would have a quick talk to the Head Waiter.. He would have made things right.. If not, the Maitre' D would.

Why write about this now? I wanted to find out if there is a way I can still lodge a comment of that server post cruise. Is it possible, or is it a "forget about" situation?
Comments both positive and negative are very important for Princess crew members and their employment. It is unfortunate you did not do this on the ship but if you know the servers name the comment can be sent to Princess corporate along with the cruise # and ship. Without his name probably would not do any good to write the letter.

Maybe this particular waiter was getting grief from management because he was not selling his "quota" of wine. Or do waiters get a "bonus" from management for every bottle of wine that is ordered? Otherwise I don't understand why you would want to "tick off" pax with an overly hard sell.

Maybe this particular waiter was getting grief from management because he was not selling his "quota" of wine. Or do waiters get a "bonus" from management for every bottle of wine that is ordered? Otherwise I don't understand why you would want to "tick off" pax with an overly hard sell.

There is an automatic 15% gratuity added to the price of a bottle of wine of which half goes to the waiter and the other half to the tip pot.

True, sales of alcohol can also get you placed in more desirable areas on the ship as well. So there is the monetary and working conditions for selling. That being said, I hate being bothered and agree you guy stepped over the line.

Our party was not rude at any time, realizing that we did not want "waiter's revenge" in our food for the evening.

We once had a wait team the didn't really gel. On one evening it took over 45 minutes before we got our entree...when we inquired the head waiter blamed it on the assistant waiter and vice versa. Not a good situation.

So we mentioned to the maitre'd that it took so long to get our entree....we weren't complaining...just wanted him to know.

Well....the maitre'd must have chewed them out pretty well because they were very "cool" to us the rest of the trip.

So, I understand your reluctance to engage in "waiter's revenge"

PC dining and automatic tipping worked out great. We additionally tipped in cash on top of the automatic tip for two of the room stewards, and a waiter. I do wish that I could have zero tipped the burly waiter only. Everyone else was great.

Princess really exceeded my expectations in the dining room on every meal. Things went wonderfully, except one evening when the waiter pushed for a wine order no less than *four* times in a row. I clearly declined each time, letting him know that everyone at the table is dry.

Can still lodge a comment of that server post cruise. Is it possible, or is it a "forget about" situation?

Princess does not have sommeliers? How odd.

Archived