Just back from the Crown

sweetdardar

I just got off the Crown this morning and must say, its good to be home. I will get into as little detail as possible without leaving out things. Before I start, I wish to say that my first NCL trip was May 1995 on the then Dreamward and have sailed 8 times on NCL as well as getting engaged on the Sun and married on the Dawn, so I am NOT a NCL basher and will sail again with NCL as we are adding up our credit card points daily.

I knew the Crown was a small ship and dont have any problem with that. I have to say that I found it to be a very clean ship and it did not look as worn as I expected. We had an inside cabin and was very pleased with the size of it. It had many drawers that we never even used as well as alot of closet space. The shower was larger and worked better that some other ships that I have been on. Since there are not any fridges, we brought a waterproof (tested ahead of time) popup cooler and asked our cabin steward, Robinson to keep adding ice to keep our sodas and waters cold and he did all week without a problem.

Now to the food...I wish I could say something nice about it. oh I can, the buffet breakfasts were Ok and very consistant with the exact same food every morning. The waffles were good as were the omelets. Forget asking for any other kind of cooked eggs unless you like really fried because no matter how many times my mom asked for sunnyside up, they got flipped and cooked through.

Now for the Captains welcome Champagne hour and farewell party, forget it as there were none. Oh there was a Latitudes party if you wish to go during the day when in port but other than that, nothing and I mean nothing. On the second night, we saw that it was formal picture night and assumed that meant formal night, so me in my gown and hubby in his tux went down to dinner to find that about 10 other people on the ship misread this also and the rest were dressed casual. Needless to say, this did not go over real well with the men. Dont waste your time packing those gowns that you may look forward to showing off although we got plenty of stares and one gentlemen asked if it was a wedding, Tuxes were changes shortly after that!

There was prime rib one night but it was thin enough to see through. No lobster, no steaks (except when specifically requested with great frowns from the servers). Nothing special whatsoever. I like to try things but swedish meatballs on mashed potatoes, give me a break! I know that some people will say that they enjoyed the food but I was never so disappointed as the food on this cruise and I would say a whole lot of people agreed with me. Sure, there were a few things here and there that made you go mmmmmm but you had to be lucky to pick what it might be.

As far as the servers go, it took a long time to get our meals but that seemed to eminate from the kitchen because I never saw a server that wasnt constantly doing something and trying hard to deliver food that had not yet arrived.

As far as entertainment, we had a comedian, Michelle Balan. Granted, she was not told to keep her PG to R rated show for late night, so the early show was not for children but she was one of the funniest comedians that I have ever heard. Although her act was very adult, I didnt see parents taking their children out although they should have but they didnt mind taking the time to lodge complaints afterward. Her late show was for over 18 but they allowed once again parents to bring their children in so she did her best to keep the show PG. It was great having someone that catered to adults instead of the continuous stupid cruise jokes that anyone who has cruised more that once has already heard some type of version of.

The Raggae band that played by the pool was very good but didnt play enough and the duo band that seemed to pop up everywhere gave great creedence to comments made by Simon Cowell to absolutely terrible singers, that they sounded like they should be on a cruise ship.Mayby NCL staff will notice that people got up and left after a song or two unless they were sitting out on the deck to smoke.

I also noticed that alot of staff have forgotten words like excuse me when they walk right in front of you or thankyou when you hold the door, not all mind you but I noticed a large portion had their own agenda and some passengers just seemed to be in the way.

Bermuda is Bermuda, so beautiful and you can make what you want of it so no complaints there.

All in all, I've always loved NCL and still told people not to judge NCL by this specific cruise but I think if I had not sailed on them before, I probably would be looking for a new cruiseline to sail with. I will sail with other lines too when the itinerary and price is right but do hope my next trip on NCL keeps me coming back.

Thanks for the review. We will be traveling the Crown on Oct 28 to Bermuda and can't wait. I have read mixed reviews of the Crown, mostly good actually. I think we'll just go with the right attitude to have a good time and I'm sure we won't be disappointed. My last cruise was on the Dawn and I'll try not to compare! Do you suggest eating in the speciality restaurants then? Also do the know if they have a sushi bar? Thanks.

The only Sushi that I saw was at the buffet in the evening when they advertised it as Chopsticks but there was No fish in the sushi so I guess that would be a no for that restaurant only. Some people said that the pasta restaraunt was good but after trying to get reservations for three days, we gave up.

On the second night, we saw that it was formal picture night and assumed that meant formal night, so me in my gown and hubby in his tux went down to dinner to find that about 10 other people on the ship misread this also and the rest were dressed casual. Needless to say, this did not go over real well with the men. Dont waste your time packing those gowns that you may look forward to showing off although we got plenty of stares and one gentlemen asked if it was a wedding, Tuxes were changes shortly after that!

If you've cruised NCL before, as you claim, I don't understand why you were at all surprised by the fact that formal attire on NCL is OPTIONAL. Why would it not "go over real well with the men" that people CHOSE not to dress formally on the OPTIONAL formal night? Complaining about this simply makes no sense.

I have also cruised NCL before (5 times) and would also be surprised to see only 10 people dressed formally on formal night - 'optional' or not.

It's only been 18 months since my last NCL cruise but it seems that things are much more casual now.

I thank the OP for the comments and did not see them as complaints, simply observations.

I thank the OP for the comments and did not see them as complaints, simply observations.

Oh, please. When something as trivial as most people dressing casually is reported as not "going over real with the men," it's a "complaint." When someone writes "give me a break" because one of five or six choices on the menu is swedish meatballs, it's a "complaint." Neither of which is justified in my opinion. If you don't like swedish meatballs, just order something else and get on with your life. Whining over nothing is "complaining."

If you've cruised NCL before, as you claim, I don't understand why you were at all surprised by the fact that formal attire on NCL is OPTIONAL. Why would it not "go over real well with the men" that people CHOSE not to dress formally on the OPTIONAL formal night? Complaining about this simply makes no sense.

I believe that Hotspur misread my message,because I first stated that I had been on Ncl 8 times and even married on the Dawn but yet, the quote was," if I had been on NCl "As I claimed", I wouldnt have been surprised to see few people dressed up." I have always seen a good portion of the ship dressed for Captains Receptions, but unbenownst to us , there was none. And when I said that people not dressed up didnt go over well with the men, I meant that the men with our party whom we had put tuxes on,no one else.

As far as complaining, I wasnt, I was passing the information along for those that did not want to bring tuxes and gowns. As far as the optional, there usually is one dining room for formal night but there wasnt. I was just passing along information for others.

Interesting always to read a review from someone who has been on other NCL ships. I've never been on the Crown but I imagine after being on the Sun, Dawn, Jewel and Pearl most recently I might be reminded back to days on the Wind, Dream or Sea. Might feel a tinge of disappointment.

I was very surprised to hear the food comments given our recent experience with the wonderful new menus. Flying Pirate posted again and there's certainly lamb, duck, lamb chops, lobster tails, etc. all offered and what I've tasted has been excellent and a big improvement over last year's menus.

Also, except for the Sun, there's not been a ship-wide cocktail party for all guests in the evening on any of my sailings. The Latitudes parties have been at 1:30 pm like the OP states, but we've enjoyed them. There is a Suites/VIP cocktail party on every ship. So not sure what Sweet Dardar is referring to when stating there was nothing. I've not expected one for all guests as that doesn't seem to be offered any more. It would be nice for a smaller ship like the Crown, though.:D

Sorry the cruise did not match others. Hope you had a good time anyway and enjoyed your time in Bermuda.

As far as the optional, there usually is one dining room for formal night but there wasnt. I was just passing along information for others.

I must admit I was pretty confused about your reference to formal night as well. There has not been a formal night (that was not optional in EVERY dining room) for a few years. It has been a couple of years since one of the dining rooms was formal and the other was not. I would therefore assume that it has been a couple of years since you were last on an NCL ship.

Sweetdardar,

Thanks for the honest review of your experience on the Crown last week. Many of us are wondering who will be taking her later in the season so it's very helpful.

I'm amazed at how confused (and even mean) some people seem to get when your expereince doesn't match theirs or because you maybe haven't been as much an NCL insider as them regarding tone of cruise of or changes that have taken place.

Certainly, if I had packed in a tux and then found it was unnecessary I'd have been unhappy about it too (and it would have come off pretty quickly too). I also understand your surprise at the less than gourmet menu, but it seems the best of the meals are offered at an extra expense these days. It's certainly understandable from a cost management stand-point (I mean look at these ridiculously low fares). The crew seems less interested in you than you have experienced in the past. Well, no duh. I mean, are you giving them tips directly anymore? Automatic charges of gratuities have made personal service less a necessity so only the naturally friendly and motivated staff will go out of their way these days.

The fact is, that while there is no longer class separated accomodations on ships, the introduction of pay-as-you-go amenities on board helps to set up a class system of sorts. The cruise experience is no longer a shared one, but is as individual as each cruiser on board. Many of us like that kind of thing, some of us don't.

Thanks for your review, I'm sailing on 9/23/07 for my birthday.

Can you tell me if NCL offered an onland dining option?

I hope so, since it didn't sound like I'll be enjoying too many of the meals on-board!!

OhioGirl, It's all about individual tastes and expectations.

Don't get your hopes up too high, Bermuda really isn't known for it's restaurants either.

As far as on board meals, it all depends on your expectations and your luck getting into LeBistro or one of the alternative restaurants (it seems). I read a recent review of the Crown that indicated good food and service in the main restaurant.

Question about trying to get a reservation for 3 days for the pasta cafe.

I was planning on getting on the ship and making reservations for 3 of the reservation only rest. Can you do this the first day? or did you try each day to make a reservation for that night?

Just trying to figure out what I need to do -thanks.

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the Crown. She's my favorite ship. I like her so much, I'm sailing her again in just a few weeks.

I think there are two types of cruisers.. those who like the huge ships with everything from bowling alleys to ice skating rinks.. to those (like me) who prefer a smaller, quieter, and more intimate ship with a minimum of the bells and whistles you find on the bigger, newer ships. I suspect you're among the first group. And that, I suspect, is why you didn't have a good experience on the Crown.

I didn't like the Dawn-- for all the reasons that most people who prefer the Dawn like about her. To me, those big ships are sensory overload. My career is already packed with too much action and electronics... I want to go on vacation to get away all of the noise and nonsense.

To me, cruising is all about finding a nice quiet place on the deck to curl up in a lounge chair with a good trashy novel. It's about breathing in the salt air and watching the ship cut through the waves.

It's about r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g!

If I want to go bowling, I'll go to a bowling alley. If I want to go iceskating, I'll go to an ice skating rink. To me, that's not what cruising is all about. However, I realize that some people like that on vacation... particularly families. I'm not criticizing those who prefer that-- just stating that there are different people with different tastes in what they enjoy.

Unfortunately, the ships which people like me love-- such as the Crown-- are going away and being replaced by the behemouth floating neon boxes.

Again, I'm sorry you had a bad time on your cruise. At least now you know that you prefer the bigger ships and won't make that mistake again.

Thanks for your review, I'm sailing on 9/23/07 for my birthday.

Can you tell me if NCL offered an onland dining option?

I hope so, since it didn't sound like I'll be enjoying too many of the meals on-board!!

Don't worry, OhioGirl. I found the food on board the Crown very good. In fact, we found the meals so delicious on the Crown, we didn't take advantage of any of the restaurants in Bermuda.

Question about trying to get a reservation for 3 days for the pasta cafe.

I was planning on getting on the ship and making reservations for 3 of the reservation only rest. Can you do this the first day? or did you try each day to make a reservation for that night?

Just trying to figure out what I need to do -thanks.

You can make reservations a day in advance. So I'd call the reservation desk as soon as they open (I think 8:00) and make your reservation for the next night.

I didn't have a problem getting the reservations that I wanted when on the Spirit in April.

In answers to some questions, when asked about the dining-on-the-island vouchers, they advised us that they planned on having them in the future but were not available on our cruise.

As far as anything else goes, I used the swedish meatballs as an example and hopefully others on the cruise will put in their opinions also. As far as the size of the ship, I dont believe that I said anything whatsoever negative about the ship itself. As a matter of fact, I said that for such an older ship, I loved the room and thought it showed little wear. I have sailed on the Dreamward (and as the Dream). The Wind and Rccls' Song of America, so smaller ships a just fine with me. I do not go on a ship to bowl as I also could go to a bowling alley. I dont mind puttputt or shuffleboard in the afternoon but dont need a skating rink to keep happy.

I have tried to keep my postings to a minimum as I have always had someone who has to come on with the purpose of making you feel bad for posting something so I will once again go back to reading the boards and keeping my opinions to myself.

We called for three nights straight to get into an alternate dining without success so I would advise trying right in the beginning.

Our last NCL two cruises were on the Sun as we were caught in the New Orleans Hurricane cruise and ended up in Texas. Thats probably why I still expected Captains welcome reception. Also, the other cruiselines have continued that so I guess I didnt realize that NCL had stopped it.

If I have offended diehard Crownn fans, so sorry and hopefully you will take the time to write about your cruises when you return as I havent seen alot lately.I on the other hand am now retired>>>

sweetdardar, it looks like you've been around CC for a long time. I do think people ask questions when they read a review, and that's fair enough. I agree that some people do seem to attack the reviews that aren't all positive. I think you should keep putting your reviews up for future cruisers. :)

Indeed it seems that, just like cruising itself, much of the grace of our civilization is lacking lately, especially in our on-line society. Everyone wants to be their own expert now and many do not take the time to read, digest, and (even better) understand what someone else is writing. Since all experience is "MY" experience then anything that disagrees with that is an irritant, irrelevent, wrong or outdated.

I appreciate your review and hope that you will join in when necessary to support those who might need your experience and shame those who seem to have no social grace on these boards.

Thankyou both Heelfan 94 and Hobbsey. I have met some wonderful people on these boards and even more cruisecritic people on cruises and friendships have continued, so for that reason, I will take things with a grain of salt and remember that I cannot please all and hope that my food comments were taken the way that I meant it. I do wish I had made copies of the menus so that those who did not believe me, would and I should also understand that my taste may be different than others and those others may really love the food. I cant wait to hear from others who sail on the Crown in the future.

Maybe the lack of lobster made my tastebuds change????

I have tried to keep my postings to a minimum as I have always had someone who has to come on with the purpose of making you feel bad for posting something so I will once again go back to reading the boards and keeping my opinions to myself.

Oh no! Please don't! I was very appreciative of your review and I am grateful to you for taking the time to post it. It seems there is no lack of postings for the larger ships, but I have been waiting months to see some fresh reviews of the Crown.

Reviews are subjective, you have every right to express your likes and dislikes. You were succinct in stating why you did/didn't like what you did. It's not like you just wrote that the food stunk and left it there. I think there are many members here who get ultra defensive when something they like is percieved in a negative light by others.

And heck....we future Crown cruisers may have more questions for you! ;)

Oh, please. When something as trivial as most people dressing casually is reported as not "going over real with the men," it's a "complaint." When someone writes "give me a break" because one of five or six choices on the menu is swedish meatballs, it's a "complaint." Neither of which is justified in my opinion. If you don't like swedish meatballs, just order something else and get on with your life. Whining over nothing is "complaining."

Sorta like this entry.

Automatic charges of gratuities have made personal service less a necessity so only the naturally friendly and motivated staff will go out of their way these days.

So interesting how people's experiences can vary so widely. On all our NCL cruises--all of which have taken place since the institution of the auto gratuity policy--we've encountered friendly, motivated and helpful crew members. Most were exceptional and the rest were perfectly acceptable.

The only exceptions were one waiter who was clearly feeling ill and having a bad day, and the entire Jewel shore excursions staff, which I believe is salaried and doesn't share in the tip pool.

Well, Droopy, as many of us do, I over-state to make a point about gratuities no longer being, well, gratuities.

In fact I have been on both charge-ahead and pay-at-the-end-of-the-week cruises and really have not had any more excellent nor horrible service under one or the other method. I can say that the staff on the old Westerdam was the best, and that under their old "tipping not required" policy. In fact it is often more about how one treats the staff that determines how they relate.

I do believe, in general, that people in service positions will give consistantly good service to everyone if part of their livelyhood depends on it. That said, it is also probably true that under the new system they might be less interested in going out of their way for those who are snobby or who otherwise abuse them.

At the end of the day, I prefer to handle my own tipping.

Archived