Just back from the Crown

sweetdardar

... the Crown cruise to Bermuda was a lot of fun! The food was fine. We snacked in the Yacht Club, the omlettes were good. The Seven Seas was good, especially late evening when the crowd was gone. Chopsticks was decent. We didn't bother with the Bistro. The Pasta Cafe was the food highlight.

We found the food and room staff to be quite friendly, and frequently engaging. After 15 minutes of chatting, you learn quite a bit from a staff coming from over 47 countries. My guess that those who struggled with staff, or found them less than friendly, probably struggle with communications in general.

And yes, we noticed a sense of entitlement from cruisemates, but again, not a whole lot different than on-shore. These people would be bitchy no matter what. My only hope is that I don't end up that way!

Sunny weather in Hamilton, and if you really work the whole "freestyle" thing and let yourself go, you can really explore the island, and return to eat and relax at your own pace.

The Dockyards, including the to-from water taxi was a lot of fun, and very educational. It is possible to relax, have fun and not feel like you're hemoraging cash!

We met the captain, and he was nice, regular guy. The walks around level 7 were great. Simply staring out at sea was amazing. We were so fortunate to have calm seas and terrific weather. It's such a crap shoot for weather. I can't imagine what this week's tour must be like.

So, all in all, for a couple of first-timers. The Crown Bermuda cruise was quite good. No real compaints, aside the from the auditory sex-show next door!

i did my first reply in, like a gagillion years, yesterday. and now i am considering a cruise to bermuda withy my wife of 2 years. all this time i was on CC i would post about my family cruises...now i have a wife (and maybe a cruise that would start a family? heheheheheheh)

ok...seriously...the Crown is my choice because:

1) what other choice have i got leaving from NYC

2) Dawn spends more time in the bahamas...i really much rather be in bermuda.

3) i've been to bermuda before and enjoyed coming and going as i please on the ship...especially in hamilton (Beach Bar is still my favorite pub).

4) i'm a long time supporter of NCL...way back when Wind was Windward and Sea was Seaward (now she's known as SuperStar Libra)

this time i need to:

- get a base tan in a salon before i go

- helmet dive AGAIN!!!

- hit more bars in hamilton

- hit the swizzle inn for a rum swizzle

- bring home MORE rum

- buy my wife a nice ring for everyday use

hearing people's posts on this ship helps me understand the basics as i have not yet been on the Crown. so i shall lurk the boards some more and make my decision. and whatever it is...you'll get a constructive review from me!!!

ZONE

If you place that last "need to" item on the top of your list, everything else will go so much better!!

this time i need to:

- helmet dive AGAIN!!!

- bring home MORE rum

ZONE

When something as trivial as most people dressing casually is reported as not "going over real with the men," it's a "complaint." When someone writes "give me a break" because one of five or six choices on the menu is swedish meatballs, it's a "complaint." Neither of which is justified in my opinion.

Hmmmmmmm, let's see now: The italicized comments are "complaints". The bolded text is "opinion".

One definition of opinion is: "A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof:"

Seems all three of the above comments fit into that category, ergo, are opinions.

Your complaining about complainers could be considered "a complaint". You think.

What always amazes me on this and other (cruiseline) boards here on CC is if someone provides any input that is slightly negative they are "slammed" by that particular line's purists. And God help the poor soul if it happens to be his or her first post.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Forgot to put this in the above post. I appreciate your review. We have cruised NCL twice (out of 17 cruises) and will do so again in September on the Dawn. Our last cruise on NCL was in 2000 prior to 'freestyle'.

I digest reviews somewhat differently from some. I can take the good with the bad, and in fact find that a review that lists both the ups and downs of a particular venture is much more helpful than one that is either all "sugar" or all "vinegar".

So again, thanks.

Congratulations ZoneHPH on your marriage! We actually met in Bermuda when we were on the Sea. What year was that 2002? I can't really remember. lol You will like the Crown, it is a nicer ship than the Sea. We sailed the Sea last year with my entire family for my folks' fiftieth anniversary. After checking the prices of land vacations, we said what the hay, lets go back to Bermuda on the Crown. Can't beat that homeport sailing. Cya around.:D

i did my first reply in, like a gagillion years, yesterday. and now i am considering a cruise to bermuda withy my wife of 2 years. all this time i was on CC i would post about my family cruises...now i have a wife (and maybe a cruise that would start a family? heheheheheheh)

ok...seriously...the Crown is my choice because:

1) what other choice have i got leaving from NYC

2) Dawn spends more time in the bahamas...i really much rather be in bermuda.

3) i've been to bermuda before and enjoyed coming and going as i please on the ship...especially in hamilton (Beach Bar is still my favorite pub).

4) i'm a long time supporter of NCL...way back when Wind was Windward and Sea was Seaward (now she's known as SuperStar Libra)

this time i need to:

- helmet dive AGAIN!!!

- bring home MORE rum

hearing people's posts on this ship helps me understand the basics as i have not yet been on the Crown. so i shall lurk the boards some more and make my decision. and whatever it is...you'll get a constructive review from me!!!

ZONE

Sweetdardar,

I had to laugh when I read your mention of Swedish meatballs on the menu. Some things never change... ;)

Last year after a Bermuda cruise on Norwegian Majesty, I made the mistake of mentioning here that the menus had a whole baked potato as an appetizer and macaroni and cheese as an entree (can't remember if it was on the same night). I caught holy heck from a certain "hotspur" who also took issue with many of your comments.

I also remember the prime rib being paper-thin, although I do believe I had lobster one night. Or maybe I just dreamed it. Can't remember. :confused:

I know for a fact that the only decent piece of beef I got on that ship was a filet mignon when I was lucky enough to be invited to the captain's table. I didn't try the Bistro, but maybe it was also offered there.

Majesty did have an optional formal "Captain's Welcome" party, but the captain stood at the doorway to the show lounge looking like a doorman, with most passengers in casual clothes passing him right by, and there were no free drinks served. Maybe they've even discontinued that in the name of "Freestyle." If I were the Captain, I'd be thrilled. :(

Archived