"RCCL needs to Keep Voyager or Freedom class in Port Canaveral!!

Your facts are soooo off...Mariner sails full every week and is one of the highest revenue ships out there, they moved it to compete with Carnival, who as you know is also putting a larger ship on the West Coast. West coasters seem to like to rub it in our faces that we are loosing Mariner, but you will see soon that we will be getting something bigger, and better, then I am sure you will say how much you deserve that ship as well.

Actually, one of my very good friends is a Vice President of Sales with RCI and this info came directly from him. The Mariner is not one of the highest revenue ships out there and it may sail full every week but not at the fare levels RCI is happy with. As for us West Coasters rubbing it in that you lost the Mariner-- personally I could care less what ship we have out here-- I live the Monarch and was very happy with the Vision and prefer the smaller ships anyway. If you get a larger ship great, but according to RCI (which was also quoted in several cruise publications) they have no immediate plans to replace the Mariner in PC.

West coasters seem to like to rub it in our faces that we are loosing Mariner, but you will see soon that we will be getting something bigger, and better, then I am sure you will say how much you deserve that ship as well.

Wow - that was a bit harsh, don't you think? We have been waiting for YEARS & YEARS for a larger ship while the East Coast reaps the benefits of numerous cruise ports. That gets rubbed in our faces more than you think. I don't know how many times I have read, "The West Coast doesn't need a larger ship because the ports have nothing to offer." Think again! I especially love the comments that tell people how horrible the Mexican Riviera is when they haven't even sailed here!!

I am sorry if you take our joy as rubbing it in your face, but we DO deserve a bigger ship. However, we aren't greedy here and I bet if you polled alot of us, we would have been just as happy with a Radiance class. Most of us just wanted something DIFFERENT. Please look at our options and see how FEW options we have up until 2009.

As far as Genesis goes... you can KEEP that class over there... I have absolutely NO desire to sail on something that big. So be our guest and keep that class to yourselves all you want.

Actually, one of my very good friends is a Vice President of Sales with RCI and this info came directly from him. The Mariner is not one of the highest revenue ships out there and it may sail full every week but not at the fare levels RCI is happy with.

I think a lot of us would like this person's name so we can verify what you are saying here. I will ask Adam Goldstein about this and post his response to this. Somehow I doubt what you are saying. But it would be helpful if you would pass the information along. If not I'll just find out for myself.......

dagadget - You are right, many people don't want to fly to SJ or in many cases pay the higher air fare. We have flown in to SJ a couple of times and enjoyed SJ. We hope to do the Adventure of Seas in 2008. The itinerary of AOS is great and as you mentioned, it is a Southern Caribbean itinerary. Loved the one that went to Aruba.

We have done Mariner and (I hate to admit it Carnival Glory - a group trip) out of Canaveral port plus Sovereign a number of times. We really like Port Canaveral as an embarkation destination. We drive from Atlanta and I guess could do Tampa also.

I think that is part of the draw of Port Canaveral is the accessibility of it to people wanting to drive to save money and even be able to afford cruising if traveling with a family and not having to spend airfares for 5-6 people.

We have friends who are on the Carnival Glory now (we won't sail on Carnival again - tried it twice and Carnival has some good points, but not what we want/like) and they had 8 people. They decided to drive to save the airfares. Also, on their particular cruise, the cruise price was $150 less per person for the week vs. Mariner (I did not verify this though).

I would love for Adventure to move to Canaveral and replace the Adventure with a smaller ship for the SJ market. On our particular sailing on Adventure, it was about 40% local passengers, which I am told get discounts.

You have a great idea on this. Place a smaller ship in SJ and move Adventure. How full was the Adventure cruise? Did it have a passenger load that is full or would Sovereign be a better size for that? The prix=ces for those cruises are lower by about what it would cost us to fly to SJ but not quite. Still I will have to look into it.....Nice response and even better ideas :D

Originally Posted by DiamondPlusCruiser

Actually, one of my very good friends is a Vice President of Sales with RCI and this info came directly from him. The Mariner is not one of the highest revenue ships out there and it may sail full every week but not at the fare levels RCI is happy with.

I'd like confirmation that Mariner and Port Canaveral are not good revenue points for RCI

Thanks

David

Email to Adam Sent :)

Actually, one of my very good friends is a Vice President of Sales with RCI and this info came directly from him. The Mariner is not one of the highest revenue ships out there and it may sail full every week but not at the fare levels RCI is happy with. As for us West Coasters rubbing it in that you lost the Mariner-- personally I could care less what ship we have out here-- I live the Monarch and was very happy with the Vision and prefer the smaller ships anyway. If you get a larger ship great, but according to RCI (which was also quoted in several cruise publications) they have no immediate plans to replace the Mariner in PC.

Good morning David. No one could or should confirm this. We don't even have someone called Vice President Sales. Port Canaveral is a good port and Mariner of the Seas is a high revenue ship.

Received in email today.

David

Good morning David. No one could or should confirm this. We don't even have someone called Vice President Sales. Port Canaveral is a good port and Mariner of the Seas is a high revenue ship.

Received in email today.

David

Now that was a fast response:)

Now that was a fast response:)

I have a few contacts at RCI and when I send something like the stuff here I get a fast response. I have thanked them and I have gotten responses back from that as well :D

Wow - that was a bit harsh, don't you think? We have been waiting for YEARS & YEARS for a larger ship while the East Coast reaps the benefits of numerous cruise ports. That gets rubbed in our faces more than you think. I don't know how many times I have read, "The West Coast doesn't need a larger ship because the ports have nothing to offer." Think again! I especially love the comments that tell people how horrible the Mexican Riviera is when they haven't even sailed here!!

I am sorry if you take our joy as rubbing it in your face, but we DO deserve a bigger ship. However, we aren't greedy here and I bet if you polled alot of us, we would have been just as happy with a Radiance class. Most of us just wanted something DIFFERENT. Please look at our options and see how FEW options we have up until 2009.

As far as Genesis goes... you can KEEP that class over there... I have absolutely NO desire to sail on something that big. So be our guest and keep that class to yourselves all you want.

I think that they should move the Enchantment to the west coast and pull the Monarch out and move her to PC to replace the Mariner. Fair trade don't you think????????

I think that they should move the Enchantment to the west coast and pull the Monarch out and move her to PC to replace the Mariner. Fair trade don't you think????????

We already have Sovereign in PC having 2 Sovereign's in PC is kind of counter productive. What's needed is a 7 day replacement for Mariner not another 3 and 4 night short cruiser so it is not a fair trade but at least you think good ideas anyway :D

I'm really sorry to see Mariner move to CA, but happy that people on the West Coast will have a chance to enjoy her.

Mariner always has worked for us, because my parents are in Port Orange FL, and it's always been so convenient to fly into Orlando, visit with them, and then do a cruise out of PC. Whatever they decide to bring to Port Canaveral will probably end up being our new ship of choice, so I hope it's a good one! Liberty or Freedom would be nice.

I'm really sorry to see Mariner move to CA, but happy that people on the West Coast will have a chance to enjoy her.

Mariner always has worked for us, because my parents are in Port Orange FL, and it's always been so convenient to fly into Orlando, visit with them, and then do a cruise out of PC. Whatever they decide to bring to Port Canaveral will probably end up being our new ship of choice, so I hope it's a good one! Liberty or Freedom would be nice.

I am counting on it being Freedom with Liberty as a slight possibility. The timing is going to be based on Genesis getting into it's home port of Miami (All new Classes start at home) With Her in Miami one of the Freedom's will likely fill the PC spot. PC is undergoing renovation for a larger ship(s) and a Freedom Class will fit where Mariner ties up right now. Freedom class is longer and a little wider but does not draft any more than a Voyager so I see a Freedom in 6 to 9 months after Mariner leaves. Just depends on new ship construction and turnover to RCI :D

I have not kept up on posts on this thread so if this has been posted prior I am sorry for the duplication.

I just got off Enchantment and spoke with her Captain about this very subject. He stated (Yes, Mariner is leaving PC for the west coast. This will leave PC without any 7 day cruises for a period that could extend to as much as 6 months. However, RCCL WILL have a ship in PC by the end of that 6 months that will be doing 7 day cruises alternating eastern and western caribbean just as Mariner has been doing in the past. PC is too valuable to RCCL to leave abandonded (sp) longer than 6 months."

Again I hope this is not a duplication.

Tim

I have not kept up on posts on this thread so if this has been posted prior I am sorry for the duplication.

I just got off Enchantment and spoke with her Captain about this very subject. He stated (Yes, Mariner is leaving PC for the west coast. This will leave PC without any 7 day cruises for a period that could extend to as much as 6 months. However, RCCL WILL have a ship in PC by the end of that 6 months that will be doing 7 day cruises alternating eastern and western caribbean just as Mariner has been doing in the past. PC is too valuable to RCCL to leave abandonded (sp) longer than 6 months."

Again I hope this is not a duplication.

Tim

Funny,how we all hear different things..

I am not saying it won't happen... but be very careful about what staff members, including Captains say. Many people had been told by Captains that Navigator was moving here not long ago - as was Adventure.

Again - not saying it won't... but coming from someone that has had their hopes dashed in the past about this sort of thing, "guarded optimism" would be the phrase of the day.

I totally agree with everyone - we need a 7 day cruise leaving from Port Canaveral, and as much as I'd like to hope for Freedom, Liberty or Independence, when you look at the RCL site, you can book all those ships (from either Miami or Ft Lauderdale) through the first part of 2009, so it's not going to happen anytime until at least May of 2009 at this point. I agree with those of you who say to be cautiously optimistic and yes, it will take time for RCL to announce what ship will be taking the Mariner's place (and I too hope it's NOT Genesis).

Let's keep our fingers crossed that RCL does good by us central Floridians and replaces a great ship with another great one!

I know I'm late to this discussion and I apologize for that but...

I am currently looking to book a January 2009 cruise. A 7-night Eastern Caribbean out of Port Canaveral. I want to book it on Royal Caribbean but they only offer 3/4 night cruises during that time.

Are they really willing to lose customers over to Carnival and Disney???

I'm very disappointed.

Well, guess we know now it wont be the Enchantment coming in to tide us over...:(

Looks like there will be a gap but I still believe that either the Freedom or Liberty will be making the move to PC. My reasoning for this is the fact that the Genesis will hold somewhere between 5400 and 6400 passengers per week. In order to properly process that many guests within a short period of time they will need to use both terminal F and G in Miami. The same for debarking. To do this there can be no other ships at those terminals on the same day. I don't see any other way that RCI can process that many folks with one terminal.

I'd like to jump in here too - We LOVE the Mariner and going out of Port Canaveral is more than convenient for us - live 30 minutes away! We will be cruising June, 2008 to go on her one last time - It seems RC would have to give us something comparable.....wouldn't they?

Archived