Family cabin min occupation requirements

Moeve

I am being curious right now I have been trying to get one of those aft family cabins for 4 persons here in Europe and they keep telling me that these cabins are only sold to 5 passengers. However I seriously doubt that every cabin on the Mercury on those 14 night Downunder Itins were sold to passengers with 5 occupants.

If you got one of them would you please let me know (I DO NOT want to know cabin numbers, decks or even sail dates - I am not out to get anyone into trouble) I just want to know if we are at least being dealt the same deck of cards here in Europe. I just want to make sure my hunch is correct before I throw the proverbial book at X & RCCL for this nonsence

You can either wait until the last minute and see if one opens up, or you can do what we did. We booked a cabin of a lower category and wait listed for a FV. That way if they do release them, you will be first on the list. Worst case scenario, you end up with the cabin you booked.

The biggest problem you will have is, you are cruising during the summer and those cabins do fill up fast with families. REgarding the Mercury, I wouldn't be surprise if they are selling out. The down under cruises have been selling incredibly well. Keep in mind, Aussies, people from New Zeland, and people from Asia are booking those cruises, not just Americans

I am being curious right now I have been trying to get one of those aft family cabins for 4 persons here in Europe and they keep telling me that these cabins are only sold to 5 passengers. However I seriously doubt that every cabin on the Mercury on those 14 night Downunder Itins were sold to passengers with 5 occupants.

If you got one of them would you please let me know (I DO NOT want to know cabin numbers, decks or even sail dates - I am not out to get anyone into trouble) I just want to know if we are at least being dealt the same deck of cards here in Europe. I just want to make sure my hunch is correct before I throw the proverbial book at X & RCCL for this nonsence

I have one and I can guarantee you they are not holding us to a 5 person minimum. Until today, I was deposited on one with only two people. Today, I added a third person to my cabin but we will not be sailing with five. Is booking directly with Princess an option for you? That way maybe you can get around the five person requirement and then transfer the booking to a travel agent once you are already booked.

We had one (#7199)for two (my parents) on Infinity in March, through the Panama Canal.

We ran into the "only for 5" stuff with our travel agent, but I reserved the cabin with Celebrity (no problem) and then had the travel agent take over the booking. We booked it about 4 months out, when it came available, and even though the travel agent kept insisting we might lose it, when the time came there was no problem and my parents were so glad they had it.

Bob

Similar story to that of the one above. We've booked one through Celebrity 3 months ago and then transferred it to our TA. There are only 3 of us in it. It's on the Galaxy this summer if that makes a difference.

It all depends on bookings. At first they will try to sell them to groups of 5, but if many FV cabins remain available, they will lower it to 4, then to 3, and finally will simply make them available on www.celebrity.com. By that time, you can even snatch them as a solo traveler, which is what I did on two separate occasions...

Best Regards,

Floris

It has been my experience that Celebrity directly will not stop you from booking these cabins with two people no matter what sailing. The one I'm booked on doesn't even occur until mid 2008 so no attempt was made to sell to only 5 in a cabin before it was opened to less than that.

I have a corner FV booked for two for the 9/29 Panama Cruise for Infinity. I was worried about booking it when it opened up and having a family come along and need it, but presently about 4 other FV's are available for booking so I'm starting to feel pretty safe.

It is X in Frankfurt who refuses to get the 4 of us on the wait list but I cannot believe all those cabins were sold to familie of 5 for those longer Itin.

Which simply means we are not gettting the same shot at these cabins. NOW I am going to throw the book at them and I am going to the top of the stack - I have had enough of this nonsence!!

Please keep your experiences coming....

Keep at it, because the FOV - especially the corner cabins - are well worth it. The corner cabins on Infinity have nearly 300 square feet of deck space. We had 20 people on it at one time and it wasn't crowded.

Happy cruising!

Bob

It is X in Frankfurt who refuses to get the 4 of us on the wait list but I cannot believe all those cabins were sold to familie of 5 for those longer Itin.

Which simply means we are not gettting the same shot at these cabins. NOW I am going to throw the book at them and I am going to the top of the stack - I have had enough of this nonsence!!

Hi Moeve,

We - just DH and I - had a big corner aft on the Millennium transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton in March/April. No problem booking, but then again, it was absolutely not school holidays, nor were there very many families onboard. I generally book with X directly and then transfer the booking to our U.S. travel agent. No problem to date!

As someone mentioned, the Mercury "downunder" cruises are booked by many passengers from the southern hemisphere AND most of those cruses are during their summer holidays.

I booked the FV directly with Celebrity. They told me it was a 5 person minimum. I asked her if there was any way to get one with just the two of us and before we got off the phone I had reserved a FV cabin.

It's my opinion that it really depends on the sailing. There are certain times during the year that have more families sailing than others.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

charlie

Moeve, you couldn't pay me enough to be in an FOV on Mercury with four people. Yikes.:eek:

We had one (#7199)for two (my parents) on Infinity in March, through the Panama Canal.

Two of us used #7199 on the Infinity for a September 2002 cruise to Alaska. We had booked about 8 months in advance, and at no time did we receive warnings that we might lose it to a larger group. We enjoyed the spaciousness, especially the balcony, and appreciated relaxing with books in the sitting area. Arguments about what to watch on TV? Easy ... go and watch it on the second TV in the cabin!:D

Donald.

I have only been in a FOV on Century. While it can fit 5 please note that it will be tight. Remember, 5 people and one tiny bathroom and shower:eek: . When we had one it was with four people. I tried to book one for the four of us for July, 2008. Both Celebrity and TA said no can do but that we could be wait listed.

Moeve, you couldn't pay me enough to be in an FOV on Mercury with four people. Yikes.:eek:

I definitely agree on this...we were on Mercury in April (FOV cabin), and it was fine for 2 people, but I just couldn't picture more than that...

Hey are you guys talking about the same cabins? I am talking about those with the sliding door....

As tot he showers well we have another trick up our sleeves there - we alway purchase those thermal suite passes for at least 2 of us so we can go shower up there.... Over and above that we are really good at getting ready for differnt times & then to meet for pre dinner coacktails somewhere...

Hey are you guys talking about the same cabins? I am talking about those with the sliding door....

As tot he showers well we have another trick up our sleeves there - we alway purchase those thermal suite passes for at least 2 of us so we can go shower up there.... Over and above that we are really good at getting ready for differnt times & then to meet for pre dinner coacktails somewhere...

Yes. I wouldn't even want to try it on the M-Class ships, but the C-Class are smaller. There is a double(not queen) bed that is pushed up against the wall in the main part of the cabin which means one person has to climb over the other to get out of bed. The cabin is narrower on the C-Class ships and if both beds were open in the other area you wouldn't be able to move in there.

You must be really good friends. LOL:D

Your TA should have NO trouble getting this for you. I have booked many FOV for families of 3 and up in these cabins, even 2 on occasion.

We are not talking X USA here but X Frankfurt & they take their rules very seriously... They have to contact Miami but won't do that unless you are trying to book for at least 5 pax.

But now that I am hearing Miami is bending the rules I am going to throw the book at this bunch here!!!

Archived