Ensenada Service Call for Hawaii cruise

questor

I found a thread on this, but it was dated 2004. When a ship (such as the Zaandam) does a service call here at 8 pm with an 11 pm departure, are you allowed off of the ship - say to visit the cruise termina? In the old thread some people went into town while others said you could not get off the ship. Just curious.

It depends. HAL does have a shore ex for the Folkloric Show. However, when we sailed with the CC group on the Zaandam last October, we were 'fogged out' of Ensenada. We were basically just there long enough to 'clear' the port (I 'think' the officals came out to us on the pilot boat) - so we had our foreign port.

If you want to read a daily account of the HAL Hawaii Cruise, do a search on 'Spamdam'. RevNeal, RuthC, and some others kept a thread of our adventures. (You DO feel earthquakes at anchor. :eek: )

I have taken this cruise seven times and we have NEVER stopped in Ensenada. We have been scheduled to stop every single time; but we have never actually stopped there. We just sort of slow down while the local guy jumps on signs our paperwork and leaves.

The stop in Ensenada is very short and is to comply with the Jones Act. Yes you can get off the ship but with the time allowed I would not venture much beyond the cruise terminal. In February, very few people got off the Zaandam to go ashore.

I found a thread on this, but it was dated 2004. When a ship (such as the Zaandam) does a service call here at 8 pm with an 11 pm departure, are you allowed off of the ship - say to visit the cruise termina? In the old thread some people went into town while others said you could not get off the ship. Just curious.

I've only done a Hawaii sailing on Princess, but they had a service call stop in Ensenada of about the same length. While they didn't offer any shore excursions (not enough time), people could get off if they wished to. I would imagine it's the same way on HAL.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm sure your TA told you this, but just in case not, be sure to bring your passport whether you get off or not. Just recently a friend with a group of 20 had their TA tell them it wasn't necessary to bring their passport if they were not going to get off. It was an anniversary trip for our friends. At embarcation, they found they had to have the passports. The whole group bussed back home (about an hr. away) & all couples but the anniversary couple were able to get their passports and get back to the ship. The anniversary couple had theirs in the bank safe deposit box & the bank was closed. The rest of the group sailed without them. No cruise & no refund. They are now negotiating with the TA or will file suit in small claims. What a mess!:(

We were not only told to bring our passports, but that they couldn't be within 6 mos. of expiration under a new rule.

I'm sure your TA told you this, but just in case not, be sure to bring your passport whether you get off or not. Just recently a friend with a group of 20 had their TA tell them it wasn't necessary to bring their passport if they were not going to get off. It was an anniversary trip for our friends. At embarcation, they found they had to have the passports. The whole group bussed back home (about an hr. away) & all couples but the anniversary couple were able to get their passports and get back to the ship. The anniversary couple had theirs in the bank safe deposit box & the bank was closed. The rest of the group sailed without them. No cruise & no refund. They are now negotiating with the TA or will file suit in small claims. What a mess!:(

We were not only told to bring our passports, but that they couldn't be within 6 mos. of expiration under a new rule.

Actually that 6-month rule has been in effect for a long time now. Of course, today the news is that the government is somewhat relaxing the passport-necessary rule because the Passport Office is so overwhelmed. Well, gee: didn't they think that might happen:rolleyes: ?

Okay, back to the OP: I have had probably three stops in Ensenada over the last few years. I remember the first one (from 10:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.) where we stopped for only one hour, and despite the fact that I am not a night owl I went out on deck to see what it was all about. We unloaded some recyclable trash there and there was noone to be seen other than a young officer and a couple of sanitation workers - boring, I should have just gone to bed. The second time I just went to bed despite the fact that by that time HAL was offering a 2-1/2 hour Folklorico Show excursion. However, the third time the new terminal building was there so quite a few of us went ashore and did more shopping (like we hadn't already done enough shopping during the cruise!:eek: ).

The new terminal building offers quite a few "shops" and at least one bar where you can end your cruise experience with a Corona, Dos Equis, or probably even a Margarita. If you are only going to be in the terminal area then a passport is not required: you only need your ship's card to get back onboard.

Have a great cruise and if you feel the need to add some Mexican souvenirs to your stash of Hawaiian souvenirs then go "ashore" and have a great time.

Valerie:)

Good information to note. You have to meet the requirement of the port regarding visas, etc., no matter what plans you have. Anyone know if exceptions?

Thanks OP for letting me contribute to the side discussion! This topic is quite interesting. I'm enjoying it.

Archived