Sneakers with wheels

goat61

I don't know their policy but just read an article about those shoes in the San Jose news that was talking about how some children have gotten seriously injured while using them on dry land. I would think there would be more risk on a ship and concerned parents would want to avoid their children using them while on board.

to make sure your kids leave them at home, regardless of whether they technically would be "allowed" on board or not. Keep in mind there are a fair amount of people using walkers, canes, scooters, etc. on cruise ships, and passages (inside and outside) are often fairly narrow. Even if an older person is not using an assistance device, if they are slammed into and fall and break something, it could be the start of a hasty decline into infirmity (I've seen it happen in my own family). And no, I'm not some old fuddyduddy. I'm the mom of a grade-school son (who's been on 7 X cruises with us and is weeks away from #8) -- TR

I know some of the local schools are allowing teachers to carry screwdrivers to pop wheels out of the shoes of kids who are wearing them on school grounds.

Really, on board the ship, there isn't the room to use them without running the risk of running into some one. Most of the ship is carpeted and the only smooth serfaces are in the foyer. The deck area are a rubberized surface with anti skid texture. Unless, they would be used in port, I'd leave them home

Agree with all of the above. I would also add that if you are going to allow your children to use these shoe/skates, then I think that helmets and pads would also be appropriate, just like with other skates.

There have been numerous injuries reported with these skates, consideration of your fellow passengers aside, you should properly protect your children.

Agree with all of the above. I would also add that if you are going to allow your children to use these shoe/skates, then I think that helmets and pads would also be appropriate, just like with other skates.

Perhaps the cruise lines should provide helmets to passengers as well, since we are the ones in the path of the kids who skate without regards to others. I saw these in use at Dallas Airport this weekend. Kids distracted and looking in windows and behind them so that we had to divert to get out of their path.

These do not belong on ships or malls, etc., and are best reserved for parks, etc, IMO. They are a nuisance and a danger to others, especially seniors who should not have to be on the lookout for kids whizzing around them on cruise ships.

Slightly off topic, but I am a RN in a hospital. We had a child wearing these trainers come to visit her gran in hospital. Her mother allowed her to use them on the ward. When I told mum and little girl not to use them as she could hurt one of the patients I was given a mouthful of abuse.

Has the world gone mad?

I would say that Celebrity themselves have pretty effectively addressed this. To wit (my emphasis):

Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board (except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s medical staff).

While Heelys are not specifically named, I'd say that they fall squarely in the same realm.

Has the world gone mad?

Frighteningly, I believe it has . . .

What a shame you had such an experience - just so you know, I for one believe you were most definitely in the right to have spoken up. I was brought up to have respect for those in authority (in this case, you're an RN in a hospital). You obviously encountered someone from the "me" generation - let me guess - this "mother" was about 30-35 yrs. old?

Unfortunately like the dress codes, some will feel they are paying for 'their' cruise and can do what they want without consideration for others.

The policy is clear, but 'heelys' are not "suggested" in it, so I'm sure some will argue the fact regardless.

Dave:eek:

I was planing on bringing my Ice Skates on the Century and skating on the ice bar in the Martini Bar? I guess I better not???

Seriously, my kids have asked for Heelies, but I have not gotten them because we don't have any wear appropriate to wear them. We live in the country so, no sidewalks, that would leave the mall and the store???

Heelies are fine for the park or sidewalks, but they really not appropriate any where they could be a hazard to others like a hospital, mall, store, ect.

And I have seen them on a cruise ship... a kids was zipping around the dance floor during the day in one of the discos...I think the parents just weren't thinking things all the way through.

"I was planing on bringing my Ice Skates on the Century and skating on the ice bar in the Martini Bar?"

So cruzin............. that might be fun, you could be like a waitress in one of those old fashioned drive-in burger places.:rolleyes:

Dave:eek:

Another thought on this....what is the child is wearing Heelies, and all of a sudden there are rough seas...the kid falls, injures himself/herself...and then whose to blame. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Karyn

I don't know their policy but just read an article about those shoes in the San Jose news that was talking about how some children have gotten seriously injured while using them on dry land. I would think there would be more risk on a ship and concerned parents would want to avoid their children using them while on board.

I saw that article, too, and while I thought it contained worthwhile information, I also thought it was a bit of a joke. Unless we want our kids to live in cacoons. I think the article would have been of more use if it included comparison information. Yes, kids on Wheelies get hurt. Is the number of kids on Wheelies that get hurt more than the number of kids on roller skates that get hurt? To me, that would be more useful information. Getting hurt is part of engaging in physical activity, of being a kid.

Now, I am not saying getting hurt does not matter. Of course, appropriate precautions should be taken. The equipment should be used where it is appropriate and with appropriate safety gear. (Wow, appropriate three times! I guess that makes four.)

I see in this thread many good reasons given why Wheelies don't belong on a ship. They are all good reasons--including that they are against the rules.

Wheelies are evil? No. Wheelies belong onboard? No.

Not to mention these things really give a minimum of exercise and from what I see... a lot of these kids can use a lot MORE than they're getting now. These things are dangerous not only to the knds but to whoever is in their way...kids don't pay attention,especially when they get comfortable doing something.

Oh, and YES the world has gone mad, there are NO RULES any more.

On the Empress a few weeks ago a little girl had them on and was skating all around the pool deck...didn't care who was in front of her...some of the older people had a hard time getting around her....don't think there is a place for them on a cruisehip.

I crack up once in a while at my restaurant. We have a concrete floor in the expansive bar area where you come in. Once in a while a child will suddenly skate by in those "Healey's". I think it is funny.

But I do NOT think they would be appropriate on a cruise PERIOD. Dangerous and just not done!

I crack up once in a while at my restaurant. We have a concrete floor in the expansive bar area where you come in. Once in a while a child will suddenly skate by in those "Healey's". I think it is funny.

But I do NOT think they would be appropriate on a cruise PERIOD. Dangerous and just not done!

These are dangerous just about anywhere. I doubt if the owners of the restaurant would think it funny if the kid wearing the heelies injured him/herself or another guest and the lawsuits started. It would somehow become the establishments fault that the parents did not know any better.

There is a time and place for everything. Crowded public facilities, cruise boats, malls, etc are not them. Skates, heelies, etc belong in the park or in facilities provided for them.

I am old, tired, and not too quick. I don't want to have to dodge out of control children acting like human torpedos.

Another thought on this....what is the child is wearing Heelies, and all of a sudden there are rough seas...the kid falls, injures himself/herself...and then whose to blame. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Karyn

OR............can't stop & goes overboard...wonder if that CAN happen? I can't believe anyone would even think of letting them bring something like this..if they are wearing them thru the airport are they allowed thru the scanned part? sometimes some kids on the street just walking are difficult--I have to move off the sidewalk while THEY pass..has happened more times than I can count.

You own a restaurant and you think it's funny when a kid skates into your expensive bar area with Heeley's on? Are you serious or was this meant to be a joke? If you are serious, I'm sure you won't think it's so funny if one of those kids gets hurt and decides to sue.

No, I don't own the restaurant. And I would never encourage such behavior. I just think it is funny because they pop out- out of nowhere and suddenly you see a kid sail by with these shoes. Usually the parents correct them for these infractions- so the management doesn't have to get involved. Believe me, we would say something if it was something that we could foresee. But this has only happened twice. Once a waiter was wearing them! It was a riot. But he only did it once because he was corrected!

I understand why kids like them but my kids don't have them- nor would I purchase them. They're dangerous.

Archived