Sneakers with wheels

goat61

I use to own a Bakery/Cafe, and kids with skateboards were constantly using our patio area to skate. We had a large fountains with a concrete seating area around it, and I can't tell you how many times we did have to pay to have it repaired, from all the plaster and concrete being chipped off. We finally had to have the Property Manager post signs that it was allowed.

I'm not against skateboarding, heelies, bikes, etc. I just feel that there are parks and venues better suited for this activity other than a cruiseship.

Karyn

<snip> kids with skateboards were constantly using our patio area to skate. We had a large fountains with a concrete seating area around it, and I can't tell you how many times we did have to pay to have it repaired, from all the plaster and concrete being chipped off. <snip>

Karyn

I admire skateboarders and the skill they have to pull the stunts they do. But the grinding on property that causes it damage, as you describe, is vandalism IMHO.

We have LOTS of places around here where they have had to add metal "knobs" every couple of feet to seating areas, curbs, etc., to stop the grinding.

My son and I have had many "discussions" about that!

Shortly before Christmas I read an article in the paper about the 10 most dangerous toys and Heelys were listed. Imagine my distress when my 7 1/2 yr old grandson showed up Christmas Day proudly showing his off. :EEK:

What were they thinking???? I forced myself not to freak out, but did say that they were on the dangerous toy list. I stopped short of snatching them away and throwing them in the garbage. LOL He wouldn't have had shoes to go out in the snow with.

Just this week in the paper there was another article about all the injuries these things have caused. An accident waiting to happen!!

Shortly before Christmas I read an article in the paper about the 10 most dangerous toys and Heelys were listed. Imagine my distress when my 7 1/2 yr old grandson showed up Christmas Day proudly showing his off. :EEK:

What were they thinking???? I forced myself not to freak out, but did say that they were on the dangerous toy list. I stopped short of snatching them away and throwing them in the garbage. LOL He wouldn't have had shoes to go out in the snow with.

Just this week in the paper there was another article about all the injuries these things have caused. An accident waiting to happen!!

My 9 year old daughter loves her pair. She looks like she has a lot of fun on them.

I am going to poke around shortly to do some research to see what makes them so dangerous. As of right now, I have a hard time believing they are any more dangerous than roller skates or other activity/sports based "toys."

Gosh, I remember having a lot of fun on roller skates when I was a kid. One time I did skin my arm pretty badly while playing street hockey. I am happy to report that I lived through it--I think I resumed playing later that day even.

Interestingly, my worse injuries as a child happened when I did not have any unusual "toys," like when jumping off a roof or running through a pile of leaves (that ended up having glass in it).

I will post a link to whatever I find, just in case anyone wants to see it.

I googled "heely's dangerous," and I did find several articles about how the shoes are dangerous--including one that does list them as one of the ten most dangerous toys. However, it sounds like these articles were saying they are dangerous because people think of them as normal shoes since they are sold in shoe stores. Basically, in my words, they do not understand and respect what the "shoe" really is.

I also found several articles talking about how they are no more dangerous than skates and other wheeled "toys," and that proper equipment should be worn as warranted. I agree with this position.

My daughter and I think of them as skates. I don't think they are any worse than the roller skates I had as a kid, the skateboard my son used a lot when he was a bit younger, and the in-line skates my other daughter used to ride.

I think they are fun. But, they don't belong on a ship.

And I have seen them on a cruise ship... a kids was zipping around the dance floor during the day in one of the discos...I think the parents just weren't thinking things all the way through.

And I would be willing to bet that the parents were not right there watching the kid "do his thing" on the dance floor either! So you can imagine the lawsuit should the kid have gotten hurt. :rolleyes:

The article that people have read about made it to national TV; you can see how kids would enjoy these things. But it struck me that they are precariously balanced on two wheels on their heels, no less, zipping around as if they were on skateboards. It took no imagination to see how easily kids could fall backwards and injure themselves. Parents who allow these things must also not care much if their offspring break bones, scrape skin, gouge muscle, etc., never mind the fact that kids are kids and are not always fully aware of or do not care about others around them. On a cruise ship? In hotels? In malls? I don't think so!:eek:

I googled "heely's dangerous," and I did find several articles about how the shoes are dangerous--including one that does list them as one of the ten most dangerous toys. However, it sounds like these articles were saying they are dangerous because people think of them as normal shoes since they are sold in shoe stores. Basically, in my words, they do not understand and respect what the "shoe" really is.

I also found several articles talking about how they are no more dangerous than skates and other wheeled "toys," and that proper equipment should be worn as warranted. I agree with this position.

My daughter and I think of them as skates. I don't think they are any worse than the roller skates I had as a kid, the skateboard my son used a lot when he was a bit younger, and the in-line skates my other daughter used to ride.

I think they are fun. But, they don't belong on a ship.

I think the thing that makes them more dangerous is that no one wears protective gear while using them. If you fall while wearing a helmet ( any sort of fall, not just heelies) you are much less likely to be seriously hurt than if you are not protected......When was the last time you saw the combination of heelies and protective gear. Can't say that I have ever seen that one.

I think the thing that makes them more dangerous is that no one wears protective gear while using them. If you fall while wearing a helmet ( any sort of fall, not just heelies) you are much less likely to be seriously hurt than if you are not protected......When was the last time you saw the combination of heelies and protective gear. Can't say that I have ever seen that one.

IMO, what makes them dangerous is the disregard for others as kids whiz around on these things. If parents allow their children to wear them then they shall have to accept that their kids may get hurt.

It is the rest of us that are at risk when these are worn in public places like malls, ships and airports.

What a shame that some parents consider these appropriate footwear:(.

Be it old fashioned rollerskates, newer roller blades or any form of ice skates......heelies are NOT the same.

SKATES are designed with ankle support, and your foot is in a parallel position to the ground, or flat. You also have to put them on and take them off and ususally they are used in a propper venue.

HEELIES are sneakers with wheels in the heel. You have to flex your foot to skate, there is no ankle or foot supports, you have much less control over direction, stopping, turning, etc. BUT you don't have to change your shoes to 'skate' in them.....thats the problem. Children use them at the most inappropriate times in the most inappropriate places.

Personally I would like to see more injuries and deaths from these things just to get rid of them, then parents might smarten up a bit.

Dave:eek:

[ Children use them at the most inappropriate times in the most inappropriate places.

Personally I would like to see more injuries and deaths from these things just to get rid of them, then parents might smarten up a bit.

Dave

Some should take a breath here. I have yet to see these onboard although I do seem to see them everywhere else. Also many of the same things said about the wheelies could be said about motorized scooters...I know I have seen my share of scooter 'events' aboard ship over the years and I'm sure no one on this thread would be calling for a ban on them, although I think that the riders of those things should be required to wear a helmet and carry liability insurance.

Regards

"...I know I have seen my share of scooter 'events' aboard ship over the years and I'm sure no one on this thread would be calling for a ban on them, although I think that the riders of those things should be required to wear a helmet and carry liability insurance."

First, your post is way off topic. We are talking about children whos parents either purchased these wheelies for their them because they can't say 'NO', or parents that let their kids do what they want and are oblivious to the fact untill something bad happens.

Maybe I'm just jealous because my parents COULD say NO and I wasn't allowed to have many of the things I wanted because they would have either injured me or ended up in the garbage, or were just inappropriate.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS WORLD? Why does everyone in a race to see who has the most and newest toys, gadgets, and things? what happened to being outdoors, imaginations, books? And the parents are leading the way with their cellphones, ipods, blackberries, etc...

However, I do think those driving a motorized wheelchair or scooter SHOULD have to carry liability insurance if you want someone to agree with you. I too have seen accidents and damages done with these vehicles, especially to the woodwork, walls, fixtures, etc.....

Dave, I worry about damage to my feet from the scooters, etc, particularly in elevators. While most people are reasonably careful with those things, there are always a few......

I have often wondered exactly WHY it takes all kinds to make a World; I have yet to come up with a satisfactory answer...:)

Be it old fashioned rollerskates, newer roller blades or any form of ice skates......heelies are NOT the same.

SKATES are designed with ankle support, and your foot is in a parallel position to the ground, or flat. You also have to put them on and take them off and ususally they are used in a propper venue.

HEELIES are sneakers with wheels in the heel. You have to flex your foot to skate, there is no ankle or foot supports, you have much less control over direction, stopping, turning, etc. BUT you don't have to change your shoes to 'skate' in them.....thats the problem. Children use them at the most inappropriate times in the most inappropriate places.

There are several posts in this thread now that I think it is quite reasonable for me to take personally, as they were posted after I said my daughter has them. From my perspective, most of you are crazy.

First of all, to the one poster, you don't know me at all. Believe me, I have no trouble what so ever telling my kids no. There are all kinds of things that they want that I will not buy them because I believe them to be inappropriate or too expensive. I constantly get the eveyone else has this argument, and it just doesn't work on me.

Next, it is simply not true to say that skates have ankle support. It would be more appropriate to state that some skates have ankle support. Lots don't. (In fact, when I was a kid, lots of us had skates that were simply straped on over your regular shoes.) Additionally, skateboards certainly do not have ankle support. I am also not sure why you are sure that it is harder to control direction and stopping in them, and have you considered that it is more difficult to build speed in them?

What is the proper venue for rollerskates that they are usually used on? I see them being used on city sidewalks and streets--is that the proper venue?

Do you all have a reasonable complaint when kids are skating in inappropriate places? Most definitely. After that, you all are way over the top--with the exception of the reasonable comment that people are using them without appropriate protection (which was also the point of the articles I saw and mentioned that I agree with).

But your post is really the best one of all! You say, "Personally I would like to see more injuries and deaths from these things just to get rid of them, then parents might smarten up a bit." Wow, wow, wow.

So, you think kids shouldn't be on these things because they might get hurt. Not enough kids are getting hurt to prove that they get hurt, so you want more kids to get hurt, to prove you are right. Beyond the obvious logic problem here, you want kids to get hurt! I should be so smart! (I've settled down some, gone back and removed most of the sarcastic comments--but I am still really floored by your comment! The only thing I can think of is that it is tongue in cheek and I just missed that...)

Have a nice day.:)

"...I know I have seen my share of scooter 'events' aboard ship over the years and I'm sure no one on this thread would be calling for a ban on them, although I think that the riders of those things should be required to wear a helmet and carry liability insurance."

First, your post is way off topic. We are talking about children whos parents either purchased these wheelies for their them because they can't say 'NO', or parents that let their kids do what they want and are oblivious to the fact untill something bad happens.

Maybe I'm just jealous because my parents COULD say NO and I wasn't allowed to have many of the things I wanted because they would have either injured me or ended up in the garbage, or were just inappropriate.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS WORLD? Why does everyone in a race to see who has the most and newest toys, gadgets, and things? what happened to being outdoors, imaginations, books? And the parents are leading the way with their cellphones, ipods, blackberries, etc...

However, I do think those driving a motorized wheelchair or scooter SHOULD have to carry liability insurance if you want someone to agree with you. I too have seen accidents and damages done with these vehicles, especially to the woodwork, walls, fixtures, etc.....

Here is the Original Post: Sneakers with wheels........ does anyone know if Celebrity is ok with kids using those sneakers with wheels on them on board?

Somewhere along the line it morphed into bad parents, bad toys, injury and death.

Regards

And....with that list, scooter which you brought up.

Heres some info from X's website to get back on track.

And to simply answer the OP's question, the answer is they are not allowed, period. If that helps.

Discourteous or Disruptive Behavior

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except on selected itineraries, and then it will only be allowed in designated areas (contact the Guest Relations Desk for details). Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board (except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s medical staff).

Parental and Guardian Responsibility

For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 21. Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying minor(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in the company of their minor(s).

Consequences

Failure to act in accordance with this policy may result in:

• Intervention by Security, other management personnel, or law enforcement

• Removal of certain onboard privileges, which may include being detained, quarantined or confined in a cabin or holding cell

• Confiscation of illegal/contraband/prohibited items (may be turned over to law enforcement authorities)

• Denial of boarding on the current or any future Celebrity Cruises cruise

• Reporting of incidents to government and law enforcement authorities for follow-on legal action

• Removal from a ship at the next port of call. Guests removed from a Celebrity Cruises ship pursuant to this policy, are responsible for their own accommodations and transportation home, at their expense. Documentation requirements for re-entry into the guest’s home country are also the responsibility of the guest. spacer.gif

Hope that helps!

And....with that list, scooter which you brought up.

Heres some info from X's website to get back on track.

And to simply answer the OP's question, the answer is they are not allowed, period. If that helps.

Discourteous or Disruptive Behavior

Pool, deck and theater chairs may not be reserved. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except on selected itineraries, and then it will only be allowed in designated areas (contact the Guest Relations Desk for details). Boom boxes or loud radios are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, scooters, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized on-board (except for mobility aids related to special needs, as approved by the ship’s medical staff).

Parental and Guardian Responsibility

For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 21. Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying minor(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations. This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in the company of their minor(s).

Consequences

Failure to act in accordance with this policy may result in:

• Intervention by Security, other management personnel, or law enforcement

• Removal of certain onboard privileges, which may include being detained, quarantined or confined in a cabin or holding cell

• Confiscation of illegal/contraband/prohibited items (may be turned over to law enforcement authorities)

• Denial of boarding on the current or any future Celebrity Cruises cruise

• Reporting of incidents to government and law enforcement authorities for follow-on legal action

• Removal from a ship at the next port of call. Guests removed from a Celebrity Cruises ship pursuant to this policy, are responsible for their own accommodations and transportation home, at their expense. Documentation requirements for re-entry into the guest’s home country are also the responsibility of the guest. spacer.gif

Hope that helps!

Thank you Dave, I think your posts are always the beat and I always know when you are "Tongue in Cheek".

I have a pair of 6 foot stilts that I like to wear in crowded places....it doesn;t mention stilts in the "rules and regs"...I wonder if Celebrity will allow me to use them on my July baltic cruise?

I have a pair of 6 foot stilts I like to use when I am in crowded places...do you think Celebrity will allow these?

Only if you can provide medical documentation that they are a mobility device ("Hey, I used to have six foot long legs. They are prosthetic replacements!") and such opinion is concurred with by the ship's medical staff.

Here is a link to an article on the foxnews website about the danger of Heelys: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,278562,00.html

I think that they are not a lot more dangerous than roller skates/blades but that people don't treat them with the same respect as roller skates/blades (i.e. they do not wear protective gear nearly as often and utilize them in potentially hazordous areas).

I agree that they should not be permitted on cruise ships. I did actually see one teen with them on my last cruise; fortunately I did not observe him using them in an out-of-control manner, but still it certainly has no place on a cruise ship.

Apparently the injuries caused by Heeley's isn't just broken bones and bumps on heads. Because of how the foot is positioned for the wheels to come out, the American Academy of Orthopaedics is seeing many more injuries to the foot and ankle including achilles tendon ruptures, etc.

Looking at the Celebrity Travel Agent Guide , there is a FAQ section in the back, with answers to almost any question a client could ask. The category "Skates" says simply:

Q. Can I skate on deck?

A. No.

You can however, bring a surf board (as long as it is stored in your cabin)!

Cheers!:p

Archived