Galveston Hotels

aggiegrl

We have stayed at Harbor House and just love it. We originally had our cruise booked for Nov., but changed to Dec. Already had a room booked at the Harbor House...so I called to switch dates, so happens that the weekend we are sailing is Dickens on the Strand....Harbor House wanted a 2 night minimum stay, so I had to call around and found that many hotels are already booked or wanted the 2 night stay.:eek:

Luckily after about 5 phone calls I tryed Howard Johnsons..they accepted my reservation at 99.00+tax. Not even sure how this hotel is....on the website it looks okay.. is on Harborside Dr.... plus they will let us park our car for FREE! So guess that's what we will do.

Aggiegrl...when are you sailing?

ginag- we stayed there on the first trip out of Galveston- you need to bring mosquito spray. We were almost carried away by them.

It was bad. But if you go in the room and spray real good you should be ok.

The hotel is right on a canal so that is why there were so many mosquitos.

I cant sleep if I hear the buzzing- it drives me nuts.

Karen

Mosquitos...even in December?! I may call around some more...thanks so much for the heads up. How was the conditon of the hotel otherwise?I really appreciate the information. I'm really going to miss the Harbor House!:(

Gina- I think the trip we took was the August trip on the Jubilee- It left from Galveston as well.But we did have mosquitos. Otherwise the hotel was ok.It had continental breakfast that we took to the room.

we are going to see how the Harbor house is for the first time.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Karen

We're staying at the Tremont. We got a fair rate and they are close to the Pier where Galaxy will dock, but not as close as the Harbor House.

The pics of Harbor House were not as nice and I have seen one or two not so glowing reports about the harbor house rooms being small.

Roy

We are staying at the Harbor House for one night in December before our cruise. I booked 2 months ago for $99 and the price is now up to $115.

The info on Harbor House's site says that each room has a "sitting room".

Since we have a 12 yr old, does anyone know if the sofa pulls out in the sitting area? I'm assuming it does. Also, are there two tvs or just one? It's only one night but sometimes little things mean so much (the tv!).

:) We loved the Harbor House....sadly as you may have read in my previous post, it's not going to work out to stay with them again this cruise.

In our room we had 2 queen size beds...along with a couch. Our couch did not pull out, but we didn't need it either. The rooms are quite large and we had one tv in a armoire. We were very pleased with our experience at the Harbor House. Very quite, and over-looks the harbor for a beautiful view. Several restaurants with-in walking distance and of course it's located in the Strand District for some excellent shopping. It's right at the terminal(5 mins. away) and we borrowed the hotels dolly to take our luggage to the terminal....all you have to do is ask.

As far as the price I don't care what I have to pay...I'm on vacation and I personally believe it's well worth the money. Lasy year we payed 109.00 + 20.00 parking fee. This year we would have payed 79.00 +20.00.....just depends on the time of the year.

Hope you enjoy your stay!:)

Aggiegrl,

We stayed at the http://Commodoreonthebeach.com on the Seawall. The hotel is not real fancy, but they had great beds and continental breakfast. They let us park our car there for the duration of our cruise for free, and also shuttled us to the pier free. The staff was wonderful!! The room cost $63.25, that included all taxes. We stayed there in February when the prices are cheaper than the summer time. We will stay with again when we cruise out of Galveston. I believe that they have a parking fee during the summer months.

Archived