Safety In London

Considering the everyday gun violence in the US a trip to London where guns are illegal is a walk in the park. Just use common sense as you would in any major city and protect your belongings. Honestly I feel safer in the UK vs. the US. There's always traveler's checks which are replacable if lost or stolen. Have a great trip:)

Just because guns are illegal in the UK doesn't mean there are no guns in the UK! If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can still encounter someone with a gun. Or a knife.

As you say, though, if you use common sense as you would in any big city, you should be fine. I normally feel quite safe in London.

Lisa

Yes my words of advice are to keep things in proportion!

Your chances of getting mugged or pickpocketed in London are no greater than any major city such as New York, Paris, Rome or Toronto. Likewise your belongings are as safe in a hotel in London as anywhere.

Commonsense is the secret. Keep your money and credit cards in a safe place on your body when in crowded places. Don't go done empty streets at night and have your valuables locked up in the hotel safe.

These rules apply everywhere.

You will have a wonderful time in London it is world's coolest city and you'll have a brilliant cruise!

Exactly -- very well said.

Never carry more money in your pocket than you are prepared to loose.

Wear a moneybelt.

What are the bad parts of London with regards to crime and safety?

I would say to stay away from the Houses of Parliament and then numbers 10 and 11 on Downing Street. There are crooks and pickpockets loitering there most weekdays pretending to be politicians.

Not too much in the way of a threat to foreign tourists most of the time though, they tend to prey on UK citizens

I would say to stay away from the Houses of Parliament and then numbers 10 and 11 on Downing Street. There are crooks and pickpockets loitering there most weekdays pretending to be politicians.

Not too much in the way of a threat to foreign tourists most of the time though, they tend to prey on UK citizens

We have no citizens, we are subjects of a monarchy, worst luck regards

My nephew was pick pocketed at the Tower of London, last week. It was VERY busy at the Tower because it was the Trooping of the Colour in London and there were so many tourists. He said it seemed like an organized group of people working together, they just all swarmed past him/around him like a crowd, and and he was bumped/jostled. They got his wallet right out of his pocket and he didn't even realize at first. That's how smooth they are.

Apparently one of the worst things you can do is pat the pocket/place where your wallet is, to check it's still there. The gangs have people looking out for that and they then know exactly where to go for. Sometimes they are so slick that they can replace your wallet with a pad of cardboard, so you're unaware until much later that your pocket has been picked.

Just because guns are illegal in the UK doesn't mean there are no guns in the UK! If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can still encounter someone with a gun. Or a knife.

As you say, though, if you use common sense as you would in any big city, you should be fine. I normally feel quite safe in London.

Lisa

Just for informational purposes, here are some statistics,

http://www.guncite.com/cnngunde.html

After a quick google search I found this from a 1998 article:

Here are gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in the world's 36 richest countries in 1994: United States 14.24; Brazil 12.95; Mexico 12.69; Estonia 12.26; Argentina 8.93; Northern Ireland 6.63; Finland 6.46; Switzerland 5.31; France 5.15; Canada 4.31; Norway 3.82; Austria 3.70; Portugal 3.20; Israel 2.91; Belgium 2.90; Australia 2.65; Slovenia 2.60; Italy 2.44; New Zealand 2.38; Denmark 2.09; Sweden 1.92; Kuwait 1.84; Greece 1.29; Germany 1.24; Hungary 1.11; Republic of Ireland 0.97; Spain 0.78; Netherlands 0.70; Scotland 0.54; England and Wales 0.41; Taiwan 0.37; Singapore 0.21; Mauritius 0.19; Hong Kong 0.14; South Korea 0.12; Japan 0.05

Per 100,000 in the US: 14.24%

England and Wales: 0.14%

Another more recent related article- http://soc.enotes.com/can-gun-article

Compared to other industrialized nations, the United States has a higher per capita rate of fatalities due to firearm violence. In 2000, firearms killed 8,493 Americans, out of a population of over 270 million. By comparison, Great Britain, which has a population of 59.5 million, has averaged fiftytwo firearms-related homicides per year since 1997.

Happy travels:) Just wanted to mention that one is likely much more safer in Britain vs. the US regarding violent crime, even with Britain's recent terrorism scare.

After this weekend it's the terrorists that you need to worry about, not pickpockets!! Seriously though as someone posted previously, if you look like a tourist or a victim well, you are a target, Americans are a soft touch because the pickpockets get the accent. It's global, just take precations with you bits & pieces.

I've lived and worked around London for over 20 years, husband was born here. Use tube, buses, everything in central London. Worst that has happened is I lost my purse 15 years ago - might have been stolen, might have left it at a shop. Regularly walk around West End/Soho/theatre area at night without worrying and get tube home. Thousands of women work in London and go home by public transport after dark, alone. Rough areas are well away from tourist areas. Just need to be sensible.

Archived