Has anyone gone to Whistler pre-cruise? Worth it?

noodle

We were planning on arriving in Vancouver 4 days before the cruise and touring the city, but we have been seeing some great deals on Whistler resorts on the internet. Anyone have any ideas on whether it is worth forgoing Vancouver for Whistler. Is there much to do if you are not skiing? Is there good dining? How is the scenery?

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

Yes, Whistler is a beautiful place anytime, summer or winter. I am not a skier, actually am highly allegeric to the cold. That is the reason we reside in Victoria and tending to vacation in warm places in December and January.

Whistler has been developed into a beautiful resort with good night life and restaurants. The time we have spend there was during late spring and summer to golf and hike the many scenic trails in the area.

Take advantage of the cheap price you see on the web and enjoy.

I just returned yesterday from snowboarding Whistler (my 2nd time there) and loved it. I've never been there in the summer, but there seemed to be plenty of activities advertised - zip line, mountain biking, hiking, etc. There is also world class dining. It is a beautiful place.

One small note of caution - it is a 2 hour drive from Vancouver and very twisty turny. I didn't have a problem the first time but this time I took an excursion limo and was a bit motion sick riding sideways and looking out the side rather than the front. If you're driving or don't have a motion sickness problem it should be just fine.

Happy cruising icon_smile.gif

Thankyou both for your feedback. I would love to go to Whistler to ski, but was worried that we might get bored without that. It doesn't sound like it would be a problem.

Tsunami, you said there was world class dining, did you have any experiences that stand out? Or have you been told of places that are musts? We are amateur foodies, and are always interested in the restaurant scene.

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

We loved the Rimrock, recommended to us by a taxi driver. Also, La Bocca right in the Village was very good. We had a group of 9, ages 25-38, and everyone enjoyed their meal (I believe I had the seafood pasta. We also split 4 desserts, all amazing.). I would NOT recommend the slopeside bars for anything but snacks. We had hamburgers at the Longhorn that were atrocious. For lunches, we ate at the mountaintop chalets, all surprisingly good and large portions.

http://www.rimrockwhistler.com/

http://www.labocca.com/

My wife and I spent three nights there before boarding the Galaxy a few years ago. Great place--very similar feel to Vail in Colorado. I took my golf clubs and played a few rounds at some great courses. We returned to Vancouver and spent a few nights before boarding the ship. Since we rented a car in Seattle, we visited Victoria after the cruise. So Seattle to Whistler; to Vancouver; to Victoria; back to Seattle. Air was cheaper to Seattle and rental cars were very cheap in Seattle. Our B&B hosts, in Vancouver, watched our rental car while we were on the ship.

Enjoy! Kel

Thankyou all for the great imput. I think we will book Whistler for our few days pre-cruise. It will be nice to be in such a beautiful place. I have been to Vail and loved it. Maybe my husband will bring his golf clubs and I could get spa treatments while he golfs. icon_smile.gif

Pride 02/15/04

Spirit 05/11/05

Archived