Getting to port from Seattle

C&S

We have a back to back cruise (Sun Princess) on hold that leaves/returns to Vancouver. However, the flights are much less expensive to Seattle. I have been searching and it seems that Amtrak and Quick Coach or possible ways to get to Vancouver. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any other recommendations. We have 8 in our group.

Fascination 4/03

Nordic Empress 11/02

Sensation 6/00

Disney Magic 12/99

Dolphin Seabreeze 9/89

(it sank 12/00)

There are 24 people in our cruise that are flying into Seattle rather than Vancouver. They are flying in on 9/17, and staying at the airport and then taking the train the following morning at 7:45AM. They will be in Vancouver at 11:45AM the day before the cruise. We will all be together then on the day before cruise and go to the ship the next day. When they return on 9/26, their train leaves at 6:00PM so they won't be rushed, and will spend the night at the airport in Seattle before flying out the next morning. Even factoring the hotel nights and train ride it is still cheaper to fly into Seattle.

Flying back to Ga. you will need an overnight flight or fly out the next day after returning to Vancouver via ship. You can't make an afternoon flight leaving before 2pm. Options for transfers are cruise transfer. Amtract rail at 6pm - rest of transfers are buses, Quick Shuttle, one way rental car.

C&S: The train from Seattle to Vancouver is an easy, relatively inexpensive and beautiful trip, with much of the route right next to the water along Puget Sound. The Vancouver train Station is a quick cab ride to the port and/or some very nice hotels within walking distance of the port.

Golden Princess 4/03

Celebrity Millenium 4/02

Ocean Princess 4/00

Carnival Destiny 4/99

We are renting a car from Hertz in Seattle and dropping it off in Vancouver. It is only $55.00 with no drop off charges. After our cruise, we are again renting from Hertz and dropping in Seattle. For our group of 5 this is by far the least expensive and most convenient option.

YES- call Hertz and rent a Van or two cars...by far the least expensive way! No one way fees or drop off fees and they will even reimburse you for portion of taxi to take you from terminal to rental place once in Vancouver. If have entertainment book- HUGE discount or upgrade- if don't have entert. book- got to their website and buy one- only $10 now- and well worth it for all discounts you get in your city. Good luck...

*Fantasy 11/97;12/00;12/01

*MS Destiny 7/98;9/00

*Sov. of the Seas 9/98;9/99;5/00;1/04

*Majesty of the Seas 3/01;5/02

*Fascination 5/01

*Celebrity Millenium 1/02

*Navigator of Seas 11/02

*Grandeur of the Seas 5/03

*Explorer of Seas 9/03

*Disney Wonder 11/03

*Radiance of the Seas 5/04

*Mariner of the Seas 11/04

GOTTA LUV CRUZIN'

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;05;28;13;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until ALASKA!! Mama's trip!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;11;07;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Mariner of the Seas

We are also doing back to back cruises on the Sun Princess on 5/31 - 6/14. I booked our air into Vancouver after deciding I didn't want the hassles of transferring from Seattle. It was a little pricey, but we had one free ticket through my credit card. I booked our pre-cruise hotel in Vancuover on Priceline and got the Marriott Pinnacle for $50. It looks like a great hotel that is very close to the cruise port. Hope you have a great cruise!

Kathy

Thanks to all who have posted. We have Amtrak bus seats (they have bus routes in addition to trains) being held, but I plan on doing some further checking into rental cars today. We thought the car rental would be expensive because of drop off fees, but it appears not all the companies charge drop off fees.

A note to Kathy - that is the same cruise we are taking. I'm planning on doing priceline for Seattle. I hope it will be a great cruise for you. We are certainly looking forward to it.

Fascination 4/03

Nordic Empress 11/02

Sensation 6/00

Disney Magic 12/99

Dolphin Seabreeze 9/89

(it sank 12/00)

I have rented from National, Budget, and Avis. There is also Hertz to look at. You will want a Seatac pick up and a DOWNTOWN Vancouver drop off. All the offices are walkable to Canada Place without luggage and mobility limitations. You will need a cab to downtown Seattle to catch the bus - adding about $25++ if you are not staying downtown?? OR look at Quick Shuttle that has airport pick up?

We are leaning toward renting cars, but for anyone else looking at the options, this is what I've found so far (thanks to all for the wonderful help). Quick Coach is $74 per person roundtrip. A private limo/van is about $325-350 one way. Amtrack is about $23 per person each way. Princess is $45 per person each way. Holland America is $50 per person each way according to our travel agent.

Fascination 4/03

Nordic Empress 11/02

Sensation 6/00

Disney Magic 12/99

Dolphin Seabreeze 9/89

(it sank 12/00)

Last Alaska trip we flew into Seattle and took the train to Vancouver. It was a delightful trip and we are getting ready to book the train again for our second Alaska cruise.

Vancouver train station is an inexpensive, easy cab ride to the pier.

The train would be a nice way to go but the departure is very early int he am from Seattle and therre is only 1 train per day to Vancouver the other schedules are actually a train to Bellingham Washington and a bus the rest of the way to Vancouver.

Quick Shuttle is a Vancouver bus company that operates a Seattle Airport to Vacnovuer shuttle service - they use modern comfortable buses and are an excellent and convenient way to go as they will deliver you right to the ship. Quick Shuttle have 5 scheduled departures per day.

However for a group your size it would be much more economical to rent a car - It is an easy drive directly north up the I-5 from the Seattle Airport ot Vancouver. We normally allow ourselves 3 hours for the trip including customs.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used the SkyTrain to go from the Train station to Canada Place? It looks on the map like it is right outside the train station and drops you right near Canada Place. With it's elevation, it might be a nice ride and a nice way to see a little of Vancouver if anyone can say it is as close as it looks.

Thanks!

BigAl_7

Nordic Empress 11/2002

Future:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;31;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sun Princess 6/2004

It drops you right at the Canada Place but you are only above ground from the train station to the next station - stadium then the remainder of the downtown stations are underground - you will get a quick view of False Creek and Science World - fare is $2.00

Cheers

Dennis

can anyone name some of the 4 star hotels that quick shuttle drops you off at in vancouver and seattle. because of the convenience of getting on the bus right at seatac and being picked up again after the cruise right at canada place we are going to use them. i just want to make sure we wont have a long walk if we get a hotel in vancouver or seattle that isnt on their list of drop offs.

thanks alot. we will be aslo staying 2 nights in seattle pr-cruise and need a room there also. i dont know whether to go with priceline or hotwire for seattle. uggggggggggggg.

DUSTY

Carnival Spirit, 9/10/03 Alaska glacier bay

Carvival Spirit, 5/11/05

Alaska glacier bay again

[This message was edited by dustyroad on 05-07-04 at 01:13 PM.]

Archived