Cabin Facilities On QM2

anniel

We will be on the 26th June sailing to New York and as an avid tea drinker I am wondering if QM2 has the usual British facility to boil a kettle and make tea in the cabin.

I can find no reference to this in the brochure, so I am guessing that we will have to use room service for every tea and coffee we want in the cabin.

Can anyone confirm if there is a kettle etc. in the cabin.

Yes please join our Roll call. You can get coffee and tea after 7 am outside Connexxions (deck 2 - Internet) and also anytime in King's Court on Deck 7. There is a steady stream of waiters delivering room service early in the morning. Mostly coffee trays. LInda

Thanks HeelMD and Lannp. I have put our details on the roll call and was astonished to see another David and Ann there already!!

The cruise is now close enough to start getting excited especially as this is our first cruise on QM2. I guess it will be very different from the dear old QE2.

We will be on the 26th June sailing to New York and as an avid tea drinker I am wondering if QM2 has the usual British facility to boil a kettle and make tea in the cabin.

I can find no reference to this in the brochure, so I am guessing that we will have to use room service for every tea and coffee we want in the cabin.

Can anyone confirm if there is a kettle etc. in the cabin.

No facilities at all - that's what cabin service is for. Or, alternatively, one of the many other facilities on board.

You don't need money - anything you buy is charged. Cabin service is complimentary.

Matthew

This will be our first Cunard cruise. My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary. Look forward to seeing you there and maybe you can teach a Yank a few things about a proper tea.

Yes please join our Roll call. You can get coffee and tea after 7 am outside Connexxions (deck 2 - Internet) and also anytime in King's Court on Deck 7. There is a steady stream of waiters delivering room service early in the morning. Mostly coffee trays. LInda

Don't forget Sir Samuels for coffee/tea and pastries It's early, but I am sorry. I don't know the time (I don't DO early!)

Karie,

who would sleep til noon if she wouldn't miss too much!

Hi Anniel ...

To pull this informatin together a bit ... There are no kettles or other heating units in the cabins because of the possibility of fire ... and they ask you not to use your own.

However, as others have said, room service on the QM2 is quite quick and friendly and generous quantities.

If you want tea delivered in your room during the breakfast hours, you order it the night before on the "breakfast hang tag" and indicate what time and put it on your cabin doorknob (outside!) All other times of day, just ring the room service number on your phone (i think there's a "dedicated push button") and it'll be there quite quickly.

Room service food and coffee and tea, etc., are "free" (soda is NOT); and if you opt in to the daily service charge, you're also paying for the service. However, I always give the steward a dollar bill and they seem pleased. I don't think it needs to be more.

On the QM2 (not the QE2, though), tea is available 24 hours a day at King's Court ...

At Sir Samuel's Wine Bar you can get tea and coffee and pastries during opening hours, but I believe a charge is made to your account.

By the way ... if you just order tea for one, you'll get a small pot that holds only about 1 1/2 cups; if you want more, either exaggerate the number of people you're ordering for (you'll get that many cups, too!), or ask for a large pot.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Yankeeclippr

I just must thank YankeeClipper for such a detailed reply. Husband is making sure we have a ready supply of those handy dollar bills. I do like my tea!! I found my travel kettle together with cups and spoons and am debating whether to take it with a supply of Yorkshire Tea!!

If only we did not have to lug our luggage off the ship for the 4 day stay, it would be feasible. As it is I am making lists and trying to cut down on the clothes we take as I want empty space for the stuff I want to buy in NY!!

I do like my tea!! I found my travel kettle together with cups and spoons and am debating whether to take it with a supply of Yorkshire Tea!! NY!!

Hi,

Don't take the kettle. Take the tea if you feel that "Yorkshire Tea" (didn't know they grew it there:D) is better than anything you will be served aboard. You can then just ask for boling water from room service or visit the Kings Court (where there is water for tea 24/7). I'm sure you wouldn't want to spoil other peoples holidays all because you started a fire with a kettle you'd smuggled aboard.

BTW I think that "Yorkshire Tea" is Kenya/Assam/Ceylon. Look out for that blend!

Have a great time!

Warning. The type of tea kettle may be confiscated during boarding. Cunard does not allow things like immersion heaters, irons, candles, etc that could cause a fire.

Where does it actually say this? Immersion heaters are included in non thermostatically controlled devices; but a kettle that turns itself off counts as thermostatically controlled. I agree that there's little point in a travel kettle when there's room service, but on the last morning a kettle is useful to make tea in the cabin. We have taken a kettle in the cabin several times on the QE2 and never had a problem.

Yorkshire Tea is a proper brand of tea in the UK made by Taylors of Harrogate -- not a generalized location name type like "Ceylon tea". It's like saying you want Celestial Seasonings tea.

BTW I can't see why you couldn't find it stateside if you looked in the right gourmet grocery store with a real tea selection, although it would be just as easy to carry a box or two. Depends on whether you're willing to invest time in the search or space in the packing, I guess. :)

Hi,

Don't take the kettle. Take the tea if you feel that "Yorkshire Tea" (didn't know they grew it there:D) is better than anything you will be served aboard. You can then just ask for boling water from room service or visit the Kings Court (where there is water for tea 24/7). I'm sure you wouldn't want to spoil other peoples holidays all because you started a fire with a kettle you'd smuggled aboard.

BTW I think that "Yorkshire Tea" is Kenya/Assam/Ceylon. Look out for that blend!

Have a great time!

It is excellent tea, but boiling water from room service (which certainly would not be boiling) to make tea? Not a good idea. As you say take your tea to the Kings Court.

P&O had tea making facilities in the cabins the last time we sailed with them, not sure if this is still the case, but dear old Fred Olson recently removed them from Breamar because one had exploded!!

David.

How I have enjoyed your replies! Husband found the travel kettle and we tried it out. It switches off automatically, so that would not be a problem, but I want to act like a responsible passenger, so maybe I will take along the tea and use the buffet facilities. The water from room service is generally far from boiling by the time it gets to the cabin and it is de rigueur to have boiling water for tea.

I use Yorkshire tea for hard water areas as we live in London and I find it has the best flavour.

P&O does have tea making facilities in the cabin( we sail on P&O ships about twice a year) and so does Saga.

The first thing I ask of our steward on P&O is to bring a teapot, a litre of semiskimmed milk and a small milk jug. I have never failed to get these accoutrements on any cruise yet!

I know it is such a cliché but it is true - myself and BF drink gallons of the stuff. Have you tried Twinings Everyday tea? Good, robust and not unlike Yorkshire.

I too will be bringing a box of PG or Twinings to slate mine and BF's thirst at 3am (probably after a couple or six daiquiri's downed whilst idling the days round the Caribbean!)

Moo! (who really must get one of those darn ticker things!)

Archived