Cashing Euro Travelers Checks Onboard?

Almagetty

Does anyone know if the bank onboard the Galaxy will cash Euro travelers checks into Euros? Do they charge a fee for the transaction?

Thanks!

While I can't directly answer your question, I can tell you we had a misarable time with them in Austria and Germany over Christmas. No one other than our hotel would take them, and our hotel charged 5% for each check they cashed.

In a similar vain, can you get Euros onboard using an ATM card or charging to your room? Otherwise, we are forced to get a ton of money out of the bank in Rome prior to our cruise and keep it in our room safe because I would never use travelers checks again.

I've tried seaching these boards, but the search engine is rather weak, so please forgive me if this has been widely discussed.

Does anyone know if the bank onboard the Galaxy will cash Euro travelers checks into Euros? Do they charge a fee for the transaction?

Thanks!

We cashed AmX Euro travelers checks for Euros on the Millennium last fall in the Med. No problem. We also cashed them at an AmX office in Venice. When we returned we had to mail them in to convert them to dollars. None of the banks would do it. I'm not sure I'd use them again. There are ATMs everywhere in Europe where you can get Euros at a good rate of exchange. The exchange rate for dollars to Euros on the ship was not very good.

Archived