Vancouver Debarkation/Princess US Direct/On-Board Check In

4_THE_HALIBUT

Here is the information I received on day 2 or 3 of my cruise for June 4th debarkation from Coral Princess in Vancouver/Canada Place. Enrollment form had to be turned in by noon on day 4. Notes in italics were entered by me.

"Princess Cruise Lines is proud to introduce a revolutionary new Luggage Valet and Airline Check-In Service. This service will help expedite your departure from Vancouver Airport after your cruise vacation, as you will no longer need to check-in at the airport. For a $15.00 fee, your airline boarding passes will be issued here onboard and airline representatives will be on hand at the pier in Vancouver, BC to transport your luggage directly to the aircraft. (note: $15 is in additional to $18 Princess transfer).

Participating Airlines: American, United, Alaska, Northwest, Horizon, US Airways, Sky-West.

Requirements: You must be on a Direct Flight from Vancouver (YVR) to the United States (US). Your flight and all connections (within the US) must be with a participant airline listed above. Final Destination must be within with US (Puerto Rico, Alaska and Hawaii included). Flights must depart after 11:30am on the day of the ship’s arrival into Vancouver, Canada. The maximum number of checked luggage pieces per person is two (2). You must be a US Citizen and have either a US Passport or US Permanent Resident Card (No birth certificates are allowed).

Benefits of this service: You will not need to claim your luggage upon arrival in Vancouver, Canada. Your luggage will be checked directly to your final airport destination. You will not need to check-in at the airport, as you will already have been issued your boarding passes and luggage tags on the ship."

Personally, I was disappointed with the 11:30 time, as Princess representatives on the phone informed me numerous times I would be allowed to participate for an 11:00am flight. I did make my flight with 20 minutes to spare before boarding (Customs is a nightmare), and this is with one ship only in Canada Place.

Thanks for the exact information. Since USDirect is relatively new there is a lot of incomplete (and conflicting) information on this board. Hopefully they have the system stablized and it will be a smooth process for us future cruisers.

Hi - thanks for the info. I am going on HAL in August and called them this week. They were able to tell me that it would be available on our cruise but could not tell me if there were any time restrictions. Do you know if the time restriction was determined by Princess? Will each cruise line be different? Anyhow - thanks for the details. My flight is 11:50 so I'm praying they don't say noon!

sue

Thats funny - I just pulled out our form from the Sapphire Princess and our time is 10:30am for USDirect on our form???

Not sure why it would be different on the Coral.

We didnt even use this program because (USair, Delta and Continetal) all supposedly backed out at the last minute. It didnt matter because we were in the aiport, checked our own bags, through customs and waiting at our gate by 9:45am

I am disappointed that Delta is not participating in this program. We have an 11:35 flight out on Delta. I am now wondering if it would be better to arrange my own transporation pick up and get on off before the cruise buses or keep my Princess transfer............any suggestions??

If I had to do it again, I would do self walk-off. They were off the ship at 7:30am sharp. I was in the customs lines at the airport at 9:00am and finally made it to my gate at 10:25am for an 11:00am flight. This was with only one ship being in port. The customs line got longer and longer behind me. Transfers and getting luggage at the airport was no problem, just the customs line.

Delta is no longer a participant at least on Princess. They backed out at the last minute. This I am 100% sure of

I think you should keep your transfer. We struggled with the same dilemma - transfer and get of the ship or catch a cab on your own.

Considering there is a big taxi shortage in Vancouver- take the transfer. You will get a Red tag because of your early flight, get off the ship, hand the person your customs form and get straight on the bus. You dont have to worry about your luggage because that is taken directly to the airport.

If you dont do the transfer - who knows how long you will wait to get your luggage at the cruise terminal. Could take a while

Once you get to the airport, you find your luggage and go check in. Simple as that.

Everyone with transfers will get off before you that is why I bought one at the last second. The issue will be waiting for your luggage in the cruise terminal.

You will have no problem with an 11:50 flight if you take the cruiseline transfer.

Archived