Booking directly through Carnival *$&#^!!!

zoomer

We have taken a couple of cruises this year booked through an Internet service but for our next cruise in Dec. I decided to book directly with Carnival. So far, I have had nothing but problems--nothing serious, just small, aggravating things.

The girl who took the reservation never emailed me confirmation as she said she would. Next, I couldn't get my reservation to show on the Carnival website so I called the same girl back, but she never returned my call--it's been a week now. Also, I sent two emails to Carnival but never got a response, and today I received my booking confirmation with both my name and my address misspelled; however, somehow they did manage to charge my credit card correctly!!! (BTW, kudos to the USPS for getting the letter to my mail box).

I'm curious if this is standard procedure or just a fluke. Do most people prefer to book directly with the cruise line or to use an outside source because there would be a middle-person to act as a go-between when there is a problem?

Sorry to hear that. I have booked all my 6 cruises directly with Carnival and have never had a problem. More than likely the reason you are not locating your reservation on line is because as you said your name was misspelled. Try calling again and ask to speak to someone who can help you with the web site. I couldnt pull mine up either because I signed in under Cathy and they had me listed as Catherine. They straightened it out for me right away. Give them another chance . I have found them very helpful.:)

I have booked 4 cruised directly with Carnival. They've been great every time. One time, they didn't fax my confirmation right away, but I called them the next day and my fax was ringing as soon as I got off the phone. The other times, everything came exactly when they said it would. Sorry you are having problems.

I booked my next cruise with Carnival directly. I too could not find my reservation on the web. I called back and asked where is my fax confirmation or email confirmation. I received a reply within a 1/2 hour. My first and last name were reversed on the reservation and that was why I could not find it. They straightened it out immediately and re-sent a fax. I then went on the web and found my reservation. However, to this day I cannot get my past guest number to appear on the web. I have called at least 4x with no success. I now have given up. So the answer is they will eventually get it straightened out but with a little frustration.

I've been on four Carnival cruises booking one directly with Carnival. I'll never do that again. The customer service was spotty at best. Also, I've always gotten a better price with an outside travel service

Not for long, It seems that I read somewhere that Carnival and RCCL are enforcing a new even price structure policy across all TA's, etc.. where in that they will all offer the same "Carnival Appproved" pricing, hoping that TA's will compete on customer service rather than by slashing prices.

I booked my last cruise through a Carnival PVP and had great service and prompt responses to any of my questions. It must be the luck of the draw, which is unfortunate.

Agents will only be able to ADVERTISE Carnvial-approved retail prices. Agents can sell anything they want--you'll just have to contact them direcrtly and ask for a quote, or use a web site that lets you get competing quotes from multiple agents.

Zoomer, my goodness, from your title I thought it was something really horrible! Then you said it was only small aggrevations....although I know those little things can add up to dissatisfaciton.

I've booked my last three (and upcoming) cruises with the same Carnival PVP, and have nothing but praise for her. Sorry your PVP isn't as efficient. My PVP even calls me when there's a rate reduction. In turn, I call her when I see a price drop, and have always rec'd reduction and/or shipboard credit - each cruise.

You know - if you aren't happy with your PVP for whatever reason, you CAN call a supervisor. Happy cruisin' !:)

My first experience with a PVP was for my last cruise, this past April.

When I first called, I talked to a young lady who was very personable, seemed to be very thorough and knowlegeable, and offered options as well as the advertised 'Past Guest Specials' without me prompting her. After several days of talking with the DW (future at the time), I called the PVP back and put a deposit on the cruise, air etc. They also connected me with the Wedding Department to confirm that date was available for an 'in-port' wedding. All went off without a hitch! :cool:

The only thing I noticed is that each time I called after the initial booking, I always received a voicemail from her phone line, so I just pressed the proper button and talked to another PVP! ALL of them were courteous, helpful and extremely willing to assist me. They were all good.. If you aren't happy with one of them, just connect with another one, or a Supervisor.

I'd continue to work directly with Carnival, except a local TA matched Carnival's quoted price, so I figured 'let them do the walking', and put a few extra $$$ into the local economy!! :D

A PVP returned a previous call after I had booked with the TA, and when I told him I had booked through a TA, his response was;

WONDERFUL, Sir, have a great cruise.. and thank you for sailing Carnival!

and I'm sure I will! :)

I would never use a TA again - ok maybe never, but I would much rather book straight through Carnival. I too had decided to keep the $$ locally and I got a whole lot of nother but frustration. I had thought, "ok, someone is town to look at face to face," yah we can look at each other that is all. I don't like not being to call Carnival on my own behalf. I know there are some great TA's out there, but for me booking direct seems to be best.

I have booked 2 cruises thru T/A's and 1 thru Carnival and have had no problems. Have booked my S/O's son and his girlfriend thru a T/A and finalized the dining and prepaid tips directly with Carnival and had no probems. Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. Every time I had a question pertaining to documentation or a specific question about one of their ships, or problems arising about their web site, Carnival reps bent over backwards to answer all questions.:o

Ok, maybe someone else is or has been in my situation. I'll admit its strange and I'm feeling alittle uncomfortable with it right now.

I book my cruise thru a TA in Houston as part of a group cruise going associated with a local FM radio station (106.9). I booked this back in early June and gave em my credit card and everything. Well the CC charge went thru almost immediately (the charge was to Carnival) but then I heard nothing for 3 weeks. I finally got kinda nervous and called the TA back and asked what was up? The TA was like, oh you'll get all your paper work in late Oct (for a Nov 11 sail).

For some reason I expected to hear something right away from Carnival (acknowlement of my payment or something...anything). Has anyone else booked a group criuse thru a TA and had a similar experience?

Cotton, how do you know that there was a reduction on fare for your cruise??

Phil, after I book a cruise ... I wait a coupla months, then start looking around on Carnival's website, as well as internet sites, and also check with a local TA to see what "deal's" there are for my particular cruise.

If I see anything less than what I paid, then I call my PVP, who will either adjust my final payment OR give me a shipboard credit (if it's after I've made final payment).

You just have to be diligent. It has always paid off for me!:)

Why would anyone want to book directly with Carnival when there are better deals through internet providers.Just wondering if I'm missing out on something?Buddy
Hi Buddy. You probably ARE missing out on something if you don't at least check Carnival's pricing as well as the online agencies.

I've made it a policy to check three onlines, one local TA, and last is the call to Carnival PVP. I've done this for each of my past three cruises, and the upcoming one each time, and my PVP has beaten all the others. (I don't just assume a cruise will be less thru the PVP, so I repeat this procedure each time.) Really doesn't take that much time, and it's been worth the effort.

I might add that you need to actually TALK with a PVP, not just check the website. They might just find a discount you are entitled to. Sometimes there's "state residency" discounts, sometimes "past cruise", etc. In talking with them, these little things all come out - and usually to your benefit.

Everybody has their own BEST way to book, and swear by it.

This is mine.;)

I always book directly with Carnival, never a problem, and another good thing about doing this, is if you find a special rate with a cruise agent/travel agent, you can call Carnival and tell them your agent will pick up the reservation then you will receive the agents special price or group price and have the cabin you wanted!!

Archived