Ships without buffets

nny92825100

Disney has 3 separate dining rooms that you rotate through on different nights with an alternative restaurant (Palo's), but there is a $10 fee for Palo's. They, unfortunately for you, also offer a buffet restaurant though.

Every ship will have a buffet, unless you go onto a small "explorer" type ship. Even the 50 passenger Windjammers have a buffet lunch. GOOD NEWS FOR YOU is that almost every ship (at least every main line company) has alternative Breakfast and lunch dining in one of their dining rooms at no cost to you. If you are interested in a sit down lunch or breakfast with a little better food and service, you just go to the designated dining room and have a seat. Simple as that. You can easily make it through a cruise....well fed.... and never get into a buffet line.

Mrsfuzzmo

Every major cruise line has dining rooms that are open for "no charge" breakfast and lunch for those who do not like the buffet. Myself, I do not like the buffets and prefer the service and quality of the breakfast and lunches served in the dining rooms.

If you want a ship with no buffet, I don't think there are any.

If you want a ship where you can have table service for all meals, and also have a choice of venues beyond the regular dining room, most of the big ships can do that for dinner.

All large ships have table service in the main dining room for breakfast and lunch.

as far as i have experienced the only time you have to eat in the buffet is if you want lunch on the day you board----------after that there is a dining room for you to take meals in --dont forget room service or specialty restaurants

Every cruise line has buffets, even the high end luxury lines like Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea. They are a fact of life in the cruise industry. You don't need to use the buffet, but you might be surprised by the quality of food in the buffet, especially with the high end lines and by Celebrity, a mass market line.

There is never an extra cost to use the main dining room, so I don't know where you got that notion. The only place there's an extra charge are for the alternate restaurants for dinner. Those restaurants that have an extra charge aren't open for breakfast and lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with you, I'm not a big fan of buffets, either. The food at the buffet on Infinity at boarding time last week was surprisingly good, it was the only choice at the time, that is the only time I will go. After that, the one lunch and one breakfast there was just like any other cruise I've been on. I'm quite surprised by how many people bypass the dining room in favor of the buffet, but I guess it is to our advantage.

Some argue that the food is the same for breakfast, that may be, but it is so much nicer to eat off of real plates, served to you by gracious waiters. I'm in no mood in the morning to fight through buffet lines and then search in circles to find a table, then have to leave my food getting cold to obtain a beverage. Others will say that the buffet is quicker than the dining room for breakfast. That may be true to a point, but we will allow an extra 10-15 minutes if we are getting off early at a port. They do serve an express breakfast, or you can tell the waiter you are in a hurry.

To answer the OP, I think I'd have to say, other than room service, no, alternative dining is always an additional charge. We have dined at the alternatives several times, it is well worth the extra spent.

Celebrity has alternative casual dining for dinner - there are tablecoths on the tables and waiters, 2 menus that alternate each day. The charge is minimal - covers the tip - on our last cruise in Jan. it was only $2 per person. However, you do have to make reservations by 5 pm.

Archived