I got the whole Port Canveral issue figured out

Ok so here it is. It is NO big deal what so ever for RCCL to move a Freedom Class ship to Port Canaveral that already has open bookings. First they will simply change the departure point to PC....Now keep in mind NO one has booked air fare yet for any of those sailing as airlines only let you book out 6-8 months in advance. So really no one will be out unless they planned some big pre vacation in Miami...Example is right now Southwest is only open for booking up to Nov 7th 2007. SOOOO they will send out emails saying you are now cruising out of PC etc etc....SIMPLE really...What do you think??

I just don't think that is going to happen. Since when have you known a cruiseline to change a departure port after bookings opened? Seems that the only ship that doesn't have a schedule for 1st part of 2009 yet is Enchantment. Could it be so? Could Enchatment be going to Pt. Canaveral? I'll take bets on it. lol.

I just don't think that is going to happen. Since when have you known a cruiseline to change a departure port after bookings opened? Seems that the only ship that doesn't have a schedule for 1st part of 2009 yet is Enchantment. Could it be so? Could Enchatment be going to Pt. Canaveral? I'll take bets on it. lol.

No WAY....Dont think it will happen at all...Only time will tell, but I say a Freedom Class 100%...Im putting the money on my source.

No WAY....Dont think it will happen at all...Only time will tell, but I say a Freedom Class 100%...Im putting the money on my source.

Tim. . . I agree. My source suggests that a Freedom Class will be the replacement.

Radio

;) ;)

I also think that it will be a Freedom class ship. Way too many people enjoy boarding at Port Canaveral due to driving distance, Disney and many other reasons. I think that RCL will move either Freedom or Liberty from Miami and since Genesis will be done in 2009, Genesis will replace either Liberty or Freedom in Miami when one moves to Port Canaveral. Believe you me there is too much money still to be made at Port Canaveral and they will want to keep all the die-hard Mariner fans somewhat happy. Just from my readings on Cruise Critic it seems that the Mariner is one of the most favorite (if not the favorite) ship to most. I just don't think they will go down to a smaller ship. JMO

Did anyone notice that the Port Canaveral Website shows them widening the turning basin where the ships turn to go back out to sea? This may be a sign of things to come :-) http://www.portcanaveral.org/images/maps/20yearmap.jpg

yes, they've been working on that for several years now! Even being from Texas I've be thrilled to see that class ship in Port Canaveral.

d

It happened on last year's (9/26) Hawaii Circle sailing of the Radiance of the Seas. When bookings opened the departure (and return) port was San Diego. A few months later they changed it to Los Angeles. Fortunately, it was early enough that most people hadn't booked their air yet.

Ok so here it is. It is NO big deal what so ever for RCCL to move a Freedom Class ship to Port Canaveral that already has open bookings. First they will simply change the departure point to PC....Now keep in mind NO one has booked air fare yet for any of those sailing as airlines only let you book out 6-8 months in advance. So really no one will be out unless they planned some big pre vacation in Miami...Example is right now Southwest is only open for booking up to Nov 7th 2007. SOOOO they will send out emails saying you are now cruising out of PC etc etc....SIMPLE really...What do you think??

You can book airline tickets at least 329 - 331 days in advance. I already have a seat reserved (and paid for) on an April 19, 2008 flight.

The port did report on their website which you can check was bringing one of RCCL's larger ships to the port possibly of the Freedom class. They had planned already to widen a basin and build another cruise ship terminal.

Course, now I can't find the article on their website, but the site is Portcanaveral.org. Look under the news section.

When i sailed Voyager a few years back we booked to go out of Manhattan but it was changed to Cape Liberty, New Jersey.

Last Spring, we booked Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston. In August, I checked our reservation, and found that it had been put on hold. A couple of days later, RCI called me to advise that my reservation had been cancelled. They were sending the Rhapsody to Eurpoe.

If RCI thinks it's in their best interest, they'll reposotion any ship in a heartbeat.

We just got off Enchantment, and would love to see it in PC, even if it is a smaller ship than Mariner. But if the Port Authority has intentions to widen that turn basin, they aren't going to spend that kind of money for no reason.

Just a note of interest. If you go to the RCI website and click "Before you board" then "itinerary updates" it has an e-mail option for them to notify you of port of departure changes or times so I guess port of departures could change after you book or why would they have this option?

This may be a possibility of the Freedom going to PC as it has been rumored since early spring in the Orlando area that the Freedom was going to move to PC.

Last year, RCCL was going to move Enchantment to Tampa to continue a 4/5 night itinerary especially with Navigator beginning 4/5 nighters in Nov. of this year. They had to keep Enchantment in Fort Lauderdale because it cannot fit under the Sunshine Skyway bridges since it's lengthening.

Enchantment in PC is an interesting thought. We might do a short cruise there especially if Julian, the wonderful concierge, is onboard.

Last year, RCCL was going to move Enchantment to Tampa to continue a 4/5 night itinerary especially with Navigator beginning 4/5 nighters in Nov. of this year. They had to keep Enchantment in Fort Lauderdale because it cannot fit under the Sunshine Skyway bridges since it's lengthening.

Enchantment in PC is an interesting thought. We might do a short cruise there especially if Julian, the wonderful concierge, is onboard.

Enchantment in PC? Humm going to have to look that over. Having enchantment do Bermuda cruises would be a nice thing. It is not a Voyager or Freedom Class but it is a possibility :D What length of cruises would she do? She has been doing shorter one to date.

Enchantment in PC? Humm going to have to look that over. Having enchantment do Bermuda cruises would be a nice thing. It is not a Voyager or Freedom Class but it is a possibility :D What length of cruises would she do? She has been doing shorter one to date.

She could do the same thing she is doing now out of Lauderdale...That would be cool to be able to go to Key West, Cozumel out of PC. Expect something to come out very soon about Mariner's replacement, it will not be smaller than a Freedom class, but Enchantment would be a cool weekly new departure.

She could do the same thing she is doing now out of Lauderdale...That would be cool to be able to go to Key West, Cozumel out of PC. Expect something to come out very soon about Mariner's replacement, it will not be smaller than a Freedom class, but Enchantment would be a cool weekly new departure.
Hope you are right about the ship being at least the size of Freedom.

If you think Southwest is the norm for airlines, I can see how you would think this. Go check American Airlines. I have booked a year out Im sure for vacations from work. Only the cut throat airlines work the way you seem to think, opening flights only a few months out at a time.

How much compensation do you think RCL would give folks who were upset that they changed the port just to give Port Canaveral a ship because they wanted one? A lot of people pick the cruise by the depature port and they would all be screaming.

Unless there is a hurricane like happened with Katrina to New Orleans, I cant see this even being possible, sorry, but thats my take.

Archived