Tallinn/Klaipeda: Locally spun yarn

I would be interested in buying local spun yarn/wool. Does anyone have any hints for where to buy it? Has anyone seen it in any of the markets or bazaars in either of these two cities? Does anyone remember passing buy any shops that carry yarn?

I know that you can get wool knit products in these two cities, but I would be interested in buying a few skeins of yarn, particularly if it is hand spun locally.

I bought a hand knitted sweater at the market...it is an open air market just outside of the old town....the woman was knitting while her grandaughter was selling them...oh it is just a gorgeous sweater...all it cost was 30 dollars...I am sure she or others like her might be able to tell you where they get their wool....

now some sweaters were factory produced...so be careful...

I bought a hand knitted sweater at the market...it is an open air market just outside of the old town....the woman was knitting while her grandaughter was selling them...oh it is just a gorgeous sweater...all it cost was 30 dollars...I am sure she or others like her might be able to tell you where they get their wool....

now some sweaters were factory produced...so be careful...

Amanda -

I had a feeling that the open-air market would play a part in this search. I 'd heard about the market and that it sells some handmade items and figured that it would be a source of information if not of the wool itself.

My sister spins and I was hoping to get her a few skeins of the local home spun, if there is any available. If not home-spun, then it will have to be whatever is used locally.

I'm hoping that I can get the name of a place where they get their wool/yarn before we get there because we don't have a lot of time in Tallinn. If I could read Estonian, I could search on line, but alas my languages are purely Romance. Still, I'm not going to give up. I haven't hit TA or Google yet--or even the Tallinn tourist bureau.

Thanks for your help and your good advice about sweater buying.

Archived