Entertainment and Dress Suggestions

Iamboatman

Personally I love the dress up nights. My husband wore a suit every day of his life and when he retired he gave them all to Goodwill. He will only wear blazers and pants but owns 3 formal outfits and loves wearing them. Me I am an old fashioned girl I love to dress up. So please don't take them away - there are not enough oppportunities anywhere these days to bring out the glitz.

Similarly, Celebrity today is not Chandris of yesterday. Zenith was actually very popular - even without balconies - because it was intimate and it cruises many longer cruises because Celebrity's older passengers liked her better.

Sad but so true. I changed from Celebrity to Regent for my New Zealand cruise because of reading over at the Celebrity board. I could not believe the posters going nuclear over the prices for the new R-ship. They want Royal Caribbean prices BUT the old Celebrity food and service. shrug.gif I was on the Horizon before RCI brought the line and loved the line... Hot rolls would be Hot. Even with fixed seating with tipping, the waiters worked together. On lobster night, the waiter from another set of tables can to my table to help my waiter take the meat out of the lobster shell.

Sad but so true. I changed from Celebrity to Regent for my New Zealand cruise because of reading over at the Celebrity board. I could not believe the posters going nuclear over the prices for the new R-ship. They want Royal Caribbean prices BUT the old Celebrity food and service. shrug.gif I was on the Horizon before RCI brought the line and loved the line... Hot rolls would be Hot. Even with fixed seating with tipping, the waiters worked together. On lobster night, the waiter from another set of tables can to my table to help my waiter take the meat out of the lobster shell.

Not to hijack this thread, but that is in part why Azamara Cruise Line was established for the two R ships. I think I would still take the Celebrity cruise over the Regent one because...and think about this: Those that complain the prices are too high aren't the ones taking the cruise!

Not to hijack this thread, but that is in part why Azamara Cruise Line was established for the two R ships. I think I would still take the Celebrity cruise over the Regent one because...and think about this: Those that complain the prices are too high aren't the ones taking the cruise!

There was a lot of reasons I changed from Celebrity to Regent, that was just part of it. Also the Mercury has a lot of problems.

But back on this thread, don't change what works. While that sounds good, in the case of Celebrity, they are changing things to drive down prices IMHO. They just dropped their named Chef. While there are pluses and minus for this, it appears like they wanted to RCI the food more than it was.

IMHO just IMHO, Carnival has done a better job with their lines, allowing the lines to be themselves vs RCI which has appears to have RCIed the Celebrity line.

On entertainment, on my Regent cruise, I talked to some of the entertainers and they said Regent had paid millions for EACH major show they did. I am not sure how much Seabourn pays for Royalty rights for the songs they do now, but that new cost would have to be factored into having new shows and changing them.

I do not believe the issue is the cost of the shows (and on Regent most of them are pretty pitiful even though of a larger - but not large- scale). The cost for the shows on Regent is not millions; no where near.

For Seabourn, presently the number one issue is lack of berths for the entertainers. The second issue is what will appeal to the broadest market of seasoned and new cruisers. Presently the "shows" are not big draws and I do not believe it is intended to change that dynamic.

Also, I think the key is going to be "options" rather than a Choice A or B. Possibly one type of music in lounge A, another type of music in lounge B, possibly a show in C and quiet in D. How to accomplish that and with what are probably more the things being looked at.

(BTW, I stopped posting on the Celebrity board because of the vast amount of misinformation and the tenor of the "discussions"..including about the food. If you want info, let me know separately.)

Eric

What the entertainer on Regent say was millions for the "big shows" the major part of the cost was to the copyright holder of the music used in the "production". The music industry looks at the shows on cruise ships as people paying to watch a musical. He said the cost included a fixed period of time that "show" could be used. He could be wrong on the cost, I do not know.....

Hey Seabourn Nail

And "When I Dream" I would be on your september Pride cruise!

That is great news - I am sure we can have as much fun as we did on the crossing in November. Looking forward to seeing you again. Meet you at the Sky Bar if I don't see you in the Hotel.

On a number of threads, particularly the luxury lines, the debate about formal nights vs. all country club casual has been raging. One idea I have not heard mentioned is different dress codes on different itineraries. Why not have some sailings with formal nights and some without and advertise them clearly in advance? Then those who want formal would just pick an itinerary with formal dress and those who do not can avoid those cruises? Just a thought. It would also be a way for the cruise line to satisfy both types of clientele (and judge which dress code is more popular). (Personally, I can go either way.)

I think Seabourn handles the "dress code debate" very well by having 2-3 dining venues every evening, each with a different atmosphere and suggested attire. Unlike its competition, Seabourn does not "limit" the number of visits to the main alternate restaurant ("2"). On my last cruise, I met a couple who ate there four times without a problem. Therefore, you already have a true "dress code" choice each and every evening (except the first and last nights which are casual throughout:D ).

I think Seabourn handles the "dress code debate" very well by having 2-3 dining venues every evening, each with a different atmosphere and suggested attire. Unlike its competition, Seabourn does not "limit" the number of visits to the main alternate restaurant ("2"). On my last cruise, I met a couple who ate there four times without a problem. Therefore, you already have a true "dress code" choice each and every evening (except the first and last nights which are casual throughout:D ).

Well done!

Archived