Galveston Hotels

scapino

We have a party of 5 on the 7/15 Conquest out of Galveston and are arriving the day before. In searching for hotels in Galveston, they're VERY expensive (Super 8 @ $200 per room per night). Any suggestions PLEASE.

When my aunt and uncle cruise out of Galveston, they always stay in Texas City or near the Johnson Space Center. Both are cheaper, not as nice, but are close enough that you can get up and drive over to port at a good time. They also always use EZ parking. We have always stayed at the Hilton in Galveston, but my aunt works for Hilton so I have no idea what the price is for non-employees! Hope that helps!

Happy Cruising!

Although it's a little run down and not the nicest of Hotels, I always stay at the Sandpiper. The location completely makes any negatives with the hotel worth it.

All of the rooms are upstairs. When you walk down, you are about 100 yards from the big pavillion (or whatever it's called) at Stewart Beach.

The hotel also has a great top deck that's above the rooms and overlooks the island, and the beach. It's a great place for late night drinks. Plus we loved being able to walk to the beach in our PJ's and have a bottle of champagne.

I suppose if you're picky about your room, it may not be for you, but I love the place.

We've stayed in Texas City a couple times and found the hotels to be nice. There are several recently built hotels along I45. The Hampton Inn is a good place to stay.

Please remember, Galveston is a vacation spot and summer is prime time for them, allthough $200 for the Super 8 is high. I checked the Super 8 web page and the price I saw is $89.85 per night for 2 queens. Check back with them.

I had a family group in April and we stayed at Gaidos. It is on the Sewall and was very reasonable. It was recommended on the boards and i found it online thru the galveston dot com website. If you book it online I think we got another 10 percent off

You will love the Conquest, we did

Mel

If you haven't already, try www.galveston.com They have info (and booking engines) for all the local hotels, shuttles, limos, etc. Usually the prices are low. But you can always find the specific hotel you want, shop around for better deals then call the hotel directly and give them your lowest quote and where you got the quote from. Most places will match the quote. And if they don't book through wherever you got the better deal from.

Oh, and if you book your hotel through the website, they email you some printable coupons for 10% off stuff and other discounts at local places.

There are LOTS of motels/hotels - every major chain - in this area. We are approximately 30 minutes north of the Galveston cruise terminal and many of the motels are within a block or two of I-45 which leads from Houston to Galveston. Look for addresses in Webster,Texas, or on Bay Area Boulevard, or on NASA Parkway (AKA NASA road #1).

We are flying into Houston (Hobby) late in the afternoon the day before our cruise. We have the Hilton in Galveston reserved. Does anyone have a reasonably priced, reliable shuttle experience that they can pass on. We need to get from Hobby airport to the Hilton in Galveston. Thanks.

You can rent a car (approx $35-$40) through Enterprise and drop off the next day in Galveston. Drop off charge is $60. Gives you the freedom of coming and going as you please. When you drod off the car in Galveston, Enterprise will transfer you (at no charge) to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Stay in Houston. Prices are great and you are only an hour from the port.

The Galveston hotels jack up prices on the nights before and after ships arrive and depart.

If you're going to pay $200 per room, stay at the Tremont House and have a great experience.

The Baymont INN and Suites is located on the Seawall. It is a new hotel. It offers free breakfast, free high speed internet, free parking while you cruise all week. The hotel is very nice and we plan on staying in it again this year. The rates run around 89.00 a night depending on the season.

I haven't read any recent reviews about this place lately. We booked it for several reasons..

1) Price

2) They didn't require a 2-night minimum stay

3) Free parking

We sail Dec. 2nd which is Dickens on the Strand weekend. Many places are requiring a 2 night stay. We won't be getting into Galveston until late Sat. evening, so we really just wanted a place to rest, although we will be so excited that I really can't see any resting taking place.:) We normally stay at the Harbor House, but again the 2 night stay comes into play.

Has anyone stayed here recently or at all?

Thanks!

One word.........Priceline! We have done this in the middle of the summer and gotten the Tremont Hotel for $80. I put in 3 star (highest it offers) and have gotten this hotel and the Galvez. You can also try 2 star and probably get the holiday inn or la quinta.

I haven't stayed here, but it gets pretty good reviews on tripadvisor.com. I had this booked for my daughter and her husband for a night prior to their cruise, but cancelled as I wanted to treat them to a bed and breakfast instead.

I was in Galveston in May and we stayed at the Casa del Mar. This condo complex sits right on the corner of Seawall and 61st st. The Super 8 is behind Casa del Mar. The parking at the Super 8 looks to be kind of a small area from what I can see, and to get in to their motel, you must go thru a Waffle House restaurant parking area. Super 8 is set back from 61st which might be nice for the noise factor. Check out www.tripadvisor.com to see all the latest reviews on hotels. Have fun. Here's the web site with Super 8's reviews.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55879-d241641-Reviews-Super_8_Galveston-Galveston_Texas.html

I haven't stayed here, but it gets pretty good reviews on tripadvisor.com. I had this booked for my daughter and her husband for a night prior to their cruise, but cancelled as I wanted to treat them to a bed and breakfast instead.

I was in Galveston in May and we stayed at the Casa del Mar. This condo complex sits right on the corner of Seawall and 61st st. The Super 8 is behind Casa del Mar. The parking at the Super 8 looks to be kind of a small area from what I can see, and to get in to their motel, you must go thru a Waffle House restaurant parking area. Super 8 is set back from 61st which might be nice for the noise factor. Check out www.tripadvisor.com to see all the latest reviews on hotels. Have fun. Here's the web site with Super 8's reviews.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55879-d241641-Reviews-Super_8_Galveston-Galveston_Texas.html

Thank you so much for taking the time to post! Also for the link...I'll definitely check it out! :)

Does anybody know of a good place to stay up I45 somewhere like near Texas City? We've stayed in Galveston before and think the hotels are just to pricey. I would like to find a place right near the highway so we wouldn't have to stray to far off. But I would sure like to find a clean hotel, it doesn't have to be fancy.

Luvmy2doxs,

There are a lot of motels in my area (Clear Lake/NASA) that are very convenient to I-45. This area is about 30 minutes north of the cruise terminal. All of the chains have places here. Look for addresses in Webster, Texas, or with street addresses on Bay Area Blvd. or NASA Parkway/NASA Road One.

Also , there are several motels in Texas City that are near I-45. Look for addresses on Lowery Expressway. Places with Hwy 146 addresses will be some distance East of I-45.

Just ask if you need more info.

• 3 weeks later...
Luvmy2doxs,

There are a lot of motels in my area (Clear Lake/NASA) that are very convenient to I-45. This area is about 30 minutes north of the cruise terminal. All of the chains have places here. Look for addresses in Webster, Texas, or with street addresses on Bay Area Blvd. or NASA Parkway/NASA Road One.

Also , there are several motels in Texas City that are near I-45. Look for addresses on Lowery Expressway. Places with Hwy 146 addresses will be some distance East of I-45.

Just ask if you need more info.

Clearlakecruisers, how about the Days Inn in Webster or Dickinson? They both seem to be very close to I45 and have reasonable rates to stay just for 1 night. One is about 4 years old and the other was renovated last year. Are these both in a good area to stay?

Clearlakecruisers, how about the Days Inn in Webster or Dickinson? They both seem to be very close to I45 and have reasonable rates to stay just for 1 night. One is about 4 years old and the other was renovated last year. Are these both in a good area to stay?

They are both in okay areas and are convenient to I45. As you probably know, they won't be plush lodgings but, for one night, either one should be fine. There would be considerably ore choice of restaurants, shops, etc. at the Webster location but, I'm thinking, the Dickinson location may be the newer one.

Thanks clearlake for the advice of the hotels. Sounds like either one will be fine for 1 night. All I want is a safe/clean place to sleep close to I45. I can't see paying $125+ for rooms in Galveston. I'd rather spend the money on the cruise.

Archived