qe2 launch.

nitwit

Fantastic photographic ability for one so young:)

I remember the day well.

David

:D i asked for that didn't i :D

i didn't know what to write, i just wanted to see if i could copy and paste a picture:)

glenn

Just as a point of interest, and I know it's not your fault (the text at the bottom is the right way round, and I've seen this photo before), the photo is back-to-front.

Regards, Colin.

Hi Colin,

I've just downloaded the photo and flipped it. I'm sure you are correct. The background toward the horizon is right when looking east.

Well spotted. (but remember he was only 36 days old;) )

David

I've got the added advantage that my father worked at John Browns.

Regards, Colin.

As did mine, but he left in '55, and thus missed out on QE2.

David

Saw her on the day she was launched (but didn't actually see the launch itself). I was at university in Glasgow at the time and used to travel through Clydebank quite regularly on sundry mountaineering trips. The ship tended to dominate the Clydebank landscape and it was quite strange to drive past her that morning then come back at night and see that she'd gone. It was a bit like driving to work past the Houses of Parliament in the morning and finding that they'd disappeared when you came home at night. Haven't seen her from that day to this but we can get reaquainted again in about 32 days time :)

Jimmy

when that picture was taken my mum was in labour and I was born on that day!! :eek:

unless somebody was actually born on it on that day you win:D

cruachan, i think we're going to have a great time.

glenn.

Are you talking about Worldcruiser? Or the QE2! <teehee!>

Karie,

who is being naughty!

Karie,

Pretty sure it was the QE2 - but as a student in the 60's things could get a bit "hazy" on occasions, so anything's possible ;)

Jimmy

Was it not called "Q4" or something before the real name was announced or is the rosy telescope of time playing me up?

The name was kept secret and was not to be known until launch. The ship was referred to as Q4 until that point. Hence the "Q4" Club in Clydebank.

David

The ship was referred to as Q4 until that point. Hence the "Q4" Club in Clydebank. David

And, in the same way as QM2 has the G32 disco (her yard no.), QE2, being originaly a two class ship had the Q4 Room (where the forward half of the Lido is now) and the 736 Club (her yard no., where the Queens Grill is now)

Regards, Colin.

Archived