PASSPORT UPDATE!! - Requirement Temporarily Lifted

this is all fine and good, but my one and only copy of my marriage license w/ my new last name is currently in the hands of the state dept., so either i need my passport back or spend $$ to get a new copy of the marriage license, since my DL and birth cert. don't match.

it has to be a certified copy of the ML to get on the ship if i remember correctly... someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

this is all fine and good, but my one and only copy of my marriage license w/ my new last name is currently in the hands of the state dept., so either i need my passport back or spend $$ to get a new copy of the marriage license, since my DL and birth cert. don't match.

it has to be a certified copy of the ML to get on the ship if i remember correctly... someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Of course the government tried to do something nice and didn't realize that it would make it more complicated for some. I have 2 copies of my marriage license (it was cheaper and more convenient to get extra copies when we applied for), but I was not required to send it in for my first passport. I took my marriage license with us on our cruise last year, but surprisingly I was never asked for it. I just used my driver's license, birth certificate and then seapass.

Do you already have a passport, just changing your name?

From the same MSNBC piece...

"Those without passports would receive additional security scrutiny, which could include extra questioning or bag checks."

I do not understand how having a passport eliminates the need for questioning or bag checks? Even with the extra security measures built into passports now, they can still be forged or stolen. Either the US should do security they want or not. (S**T or get off the pot as they say here.)

but what about the name change issue? that last name is different than the BC, and nothing ties the BC to the passport info/DL without the marriage license. i'm so confuzzled!

If you have a receipt showing you applied for the passport, that receipt will have your name change on it, correct?? and you should have a valid ID (drivers license) with the correct name, correct?? That should be all you need....Thats the way I read it....:D

At travel.state.gov it says this requirement is lifted until September 2007 for air and land travel. Will this also apply for cruising so we don’t have to bring all of the other paper work? For me that would be my German birth certificate, naturalization papers, marriage license, and State ID.

I have allowed 6 months for my Passport renewal which should more than enough time. I’m 8 weeks from sail away and still no Passport.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

We leave for Majesty 7/2 (leave for FL 7/1), it's 11 weeks today I sent it in, name change. DH got his in 6 weeks, new application! So, there's still a bit of time...

Sounds like you have a few more weeks before you have to start making phone calls. To be on the safe side, you might want to find out cost and time length it would take for you to get extra copy of your marriage license. Did you have to send your birth certificate too?

At travel.state.gov it says this requirement is lifted until September 2007 for air and land travel. Will this also apply for cruising so we don’t have to bring all of the other paper work? For me that would be my German birth certificate, naturalization papers, marriage license, and State ID.

I have allowed 6 months for my Passport renewal which should more than enough time. I’m 8 weeks from sail away and still no Passport.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

The laws for cruising haven't changed that I am aware of. They weren't going to inforce that till Jan 1, 2008. So I would assume for cruises leaving from U.S. as a U.S. citizen, you'd need your Driver's license, birth certificate and marriage license if needed. I would assume you need the same paperwork to cruise as you did previously, until the end of this year. I'm not an expert, so please don't quote me on this. I've read the info on the Dept of State page too much! ;)

i still have the BC, but, from what it sounds like, since my printout from the passport site will match my DL, i will be ok! i'm calling as soon as i get to the 14 day mark though, i want the passport to be on the safe side.

The laws for cruising haven't changed that I am aware of. They weren't going to inforce that till Jan 1, 2008. So I would assume for cruises leaving from U.S. as a U.S. citizen, you'd need your Driver's license, birth certificate and marriage license if needed. I would assume you need the same paperwork to cruise as you did previously, until the end of this year. I'm not an expert, so please don't quote me on this. I've read the info on the Dept of State page too much! ;)

I know we don’t need Passport for the cruise. Is what I’m wondering is that since I’ve applied for my Passport in ample time, if I don’t have it can I just use my receipt for my Passport and not have to bring all of that paperwork on the cruise. I only have one copy of my naturalization papers and don’t want anything to happen to them!

My Congressman's office just called to say my daughter won't need a passport after all. Simply print out the page from the passport website showing the passport has been applied for, plus bring a photo id if you're 16 or over and you're good to go. We're cruising next week and were at almost 13 weeks waiting for a passport. THis is good news because you never know when you might need to fly home from a port due to emergency.

I know we don’t need Passport for the cruise. Is what I’m wondering is that since I’ve applied for my Passport in ample time, if I don’t have it can I just use my receipt for my Passport and not have to bring all of that paperwork on the cruise. I only have one copy of my naturalization papers and don’t want anything to happen to them!

In understand what you are asking, but I honestly don't know. It would probably be best for you to try calling passport office. I don't know if RCCL is all caught up on these changes since they just happened. Good luck!

My Congressman's office just called to say my daughter won't need a passport after all. Simply print out the page from the passport website showing the passport has been applied for, plus bring a photo id if you're 16 or over and you're good to go. We're cruising next week and were at almost 13 weeks waiting for a passport. THis is good news because you never know when you might need to fly home from a port due to emergency.

Wow! That's great! Happy Cruising! :)

In understand what you are asking, but I honestly don't know. It would probably be best for you to try calling passport office. I don't know if RCCL is all caught up on these changes since they just happened. Good luck!

There’s another thread saying RCCL won’t honor the receipt. I’m thinking you’re on to something in thinking that the folks answering the phone don’t know about this new development. Hopefully they will allow the receipt because the people that applied for new passports have their documents at the State Department!

There’s another thread saying RCCL won’t honor the receipt. I’m thinking you’re on to something in thinking that the folks answering the phone don’t know about this new development. Hopefully they will allow the receipt because the people that applied for new passports have their documents at the State Department!

If I had a cruise booked and scheduled to leave soon, I think I would find all the birth certificates with raised seals, all the photo id's, any old passports, any passport applications and a BIG manila envelope...I dont think it would weight to much and be to much of an inconvience...Imagine how bad it would be to be standing in the terminal and have the little gray haired ladybehind the counter tell you, "you didnt have the right stuff" and say "sorry, you wont be cruising with us this time"...

Thats what I would do rather than take a chance.....The advise on CC is great but I am not convinced the real info has come out yet...

Play it safe, take it all.....:o

If I had a cruise booked and scheduled to leave soon, I think I would find all the birth certificates with raised seals, all the photo id's, any old passports, any passport applications and a BIG manila envelope...I dont think it would weight to much and be to much of an inconvience...Imagine how bad it would be to be standing in the terminal and have the little gray haired ladybehind the counter tell you, "you didnt have the right stuff" and say "sorry, you wont be cruising with us this time"...

That's all fine and good, if you have extra copies. But a lot of people don't and it takes time and $$ to get them, which some people don't necessarily have.

That's all fine and good, if you have extra copies. But a lot of people don't and it takes time and $$ to get them, which some people don't necessarily have.

Sometimes it is not so easy to get copies, either.

In my case it is not that I don’t have the documents I need to board the ship it is that I don’t want to chance have these documents lost or damaged. I only have one copy of my naturalization papers; the other copy was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina. Who knows how long it would take the government to get me a copy of the naturalization papers from 1967.

I also don’t know if I can get another copy of my marriage license because I got married in New Orleans. Again, thank you Katrina.

I’ve always had a passport but it just happened to be up for renewal during all this mess.

I really want my passport. 8.gif

Archived