We had to laugh!

TEXASMUNK

Had a nice cruise on the Sea this past May but had a serious incident onboard in which NCL security refused to interceed.....(Had a rather large family verbally attack my wife and her best friend then proceed to follow them around the ship making threats and getting rather nasty). Has a rather useless conversation with the Chief of security and the head Purser..followed by our handing them our Lattitudes membership cards and telling them we would not be back on NCL again.

Yesterday we got NEW Latttitudes cards (new account numbers, new members)!!!!

Guess our conversation went nowhere!

After years of spending every penny we made raising our kids, it is our turn now, we cruise twice a year, spend obscene amounts of money while onboard, always get a cabin on an upper deck.....we were not asking for anything special, just for security to usher Bubba and his clan away from Suzan and Nancy (Suzan and Nancy committed the crime of asking Bubba's kids to stop riding the elevators and pushing every button). Sure wish NCL well with their decision to drive away long term customers in favor of slobs and ill mannered grunts.

But, I guess we are still Lattitude members.

As far as receiving new Latitudes cards goes, that is pretty funny.

I'm sorry that your wife and her friend had to put up with that sort of treatment but it isn't the first time I have heard of security on a ship refusing to step in to stop abusive behaviour by one group of passengers to another.

I guess everyone is so afraid of being sued by one party or another that they prefer to stand back and do nothing.

I will probably get chastised for this posting but I have to say that what can you expect from kids whose parents act the way they do? In my college days I was a camp counselor in North Carolina at a very expensive camp for kids from Miami Beach. They arrived by chartered jet if that tells you anything. In the middle of the summer we had visitor's day and all the parents descended upon the camp. You could immediately tell which parents went with which kids. The well behaved and polite kids had well behaved and polite parents. The rude and obnoxious kids had the rude and obnoxious parents. I choose to cruise anytime when the kids are in school and if I have a problem it is my fault for not doing a Celebrity Escape for adults only.

Although I am saddened to hear that NCL did nothing to alter the behavior of the parents, I think it would be the same thing on any other main stream cruise line.

Just my opinion.. This seems to be a two sides to every story post..

My questions for you are... How did you approach the children? Why did their actions bother you? How did you approach security? What were your specific requests from them? Did you make a big deal over the children's actions?

I'm not passing judgement, but stories like this are always hard to read when you can't hear an explanation from both parties?

Chris Connolly <=== takes the stairs anyways

You've got security issues, Latitudes issues, and passenger and elevator abusers all under one umbrella! I wish they could/would have done something! Did the nutter Bubbas follow the ladies to the purser's desk (as in, did they just stick to them awhile) or did they continue it off and on over the length of the cruise? I would be interested in developing a course of action for myself in such a situation, as I expect the best from people and can imagine myself at a total loss when faced by something like this. What CAN you do?

Nicely asking kids (or adults, if it came to it ;) ) to stop playing in the elevators and pushing all the buttons is a responsible and appropriate thing to do, in my opinion, so turning a blind eye to and enabling that behavior wouldn't be the solution for me. My husband would likely disagree and stay out of it. Although boundaries and reminders are very valuable for kids, it sounds like they may have been already lost on these particular people.

My mom was similarly abused on her first cruise (Dolphin IV) by a drunk woman and it took me 11 years to get her to go again--on ANY line.

After years of spending every penny we made raising our kids, it is our turn now, we cruise twice a year, spend obscene amounts of money while onboard, always get a cabin on an upper deck.....
You go, Jim!:D

Good points & questions, Chris. (Your post was not there yet when I began writing my reply). I have been enjoying your return to the NCL board. I think yours is a great way to approach a posting with a "warning" or "I will not cruise xxx line again" type message.

In reading Jim's posts over the last couple of years, and I have felt that we have kindred approaches in a lot of cases, so I was already right beside him, there.

We had a few elevator issues on our last cruise. We had a girl sitting in the doorway of an elevator so it wouldnt move, and the other wouldnt come, so I nicely asked her to move and she respectively did. She probably had all sorts of things to say after I left but she didnt say anything disrespectful to my face. I have threatened my daughter and her friend that is cruising with us with certain death if they mess with the elevator buttons.

I cant count how many times I got in that elevator and all the buttons were lit up (ghost riders).....I would then explain to the next riders that "I" really didnt do it, it must have been some kids.

Had a nice cruise on the Sea this past May but had a serious incident onboard in which NCL security refused to interceed.....(Had a rather large family verbally attack my wife and her best friend then proceed to follow them around the ship making threats and getting rather nasty). Has a rather useless conversation with the Chief of security and the head Purser..followed by our handing them our Lattitudes membership cards and telling them we would not be back on NCL again.

Yesterday we got NEW Latttitudes cards (new account numbers, new members)!!!!

Guess our conversation went nowhere!

After years of spending every penny we made raising our kids, it is our turn now, we cruise twice a year, spend obscene amounts of money while onboard, always get a cabin on an upper deck.....we were not asking for anything special, just for security to usher Bubba and his clan away from Suzan and Nancy (Suzan and Nancy committed the crime of asking Bubba's kids to stop riding the elevators and pushing every button). Sure wish NCL well with their decision to drive away long term customers in favor of slobs and ill mannered grunts.

But, I guess we are still Lattitude members.

Jim, I know what a strong NCL supporter you have always been. I hate to see you drop them from your cruise list because of one horrible problem. I am a bit concerned we will find something similar in November. As much as I am looking forward to sailing out of Houston again and we love the passengers from the mid and southwest I do worry about what quality of guests we will get with the price being so low. I know that sounds like a bigited, snobby statement and I don't mean it that way. Of course how kids behave really has little to do with their financual background; it is more the way they were raised and we all know kids from all walks of life who need to having their parents take some parenting classes.

I would hate for this to happen, but I guess if I were in that situation, all I could suggest is when sitting at the pool, order up a few drinks and have them delivered to their table with a note saying something like "I am sorry if I did something to offend you".

If this did not help, go to the salon and have my hair dyied and altered, then purchase sun glasses and try to stay away.

order up a few drinks and have them delivered to their table with a note saying something like "I am sorry if I did something to offend you".

Arkansas fish

I know that it is usually best to avoid confrontation but don't you think this approach kind of encourages bad behaviour?

Sometimes people in this world just do not know how to relate to others. I have made more friends this way. Just be nice.

I have had people that did bad things to me, I kept being nice no matter what. Then they turned around, talked to me, apolojized.

They may be doing this to get attention.......

Still can't believe this happened! :D

Some years ago on The Norway I sat next to a woman I'd just met and we were happily reading on deck. Two young men (not children or teens) "got into a fight" and knocked my chair over which pushed me and this woman BOTH completely on the deck. :eek: Her arm was cut and sprained.

Security came. All injured were taken for treatment. (One of the men was in really bad shape.)

Guess this sort of thing can happen anywhere ... BUT, I'd never seen grown men fight except on TV or in the movies.

BIG PROBLEM: NCL Security questioned me and this other woman for well over an hour about what we did to provoke the attack? (Both men told Sercurity that they fell on us and were very sorry.) :confused:

Finally, I told NCL Securtiy that I was leaving because I needed to meet my husband (very true & already late) and that if they had any other questions to contact me in my cabin.

We had some very good cruises on NCL (5) ... and want to try NCL again ... BUT after this and the NCL Shore Excursion Group getting left behind in St. John on the same cruise .... it's taken us a while!

Fortunately, it's just sort of FUNNY NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Wow, Jim, this is the first I read about your incident! How unfortunate it did not get worked out. I am surprised that security did not help you out. Since I mostly stay awake 24/7 on cruise ships, I have seen a lot of things. For me, security is the one group of people you do not want to mess with. I have seen them remove intoxicated passengers, take away a fighting spouse/partner, clear out teens past curfew (on another line), shut down the disco, among other things! I am twice their size and I fear them! Still, I never hesitate to alert staff to call security for something getting out of hand. I understand that every ship has a holding tank!

Regarding the bad kids, there is a saying that "The apple does not fall far from the tree!" Even so, I know a lot of bad kids with good parents and a lot of good kids with bad parents. I hold every individual accountable for their own behavior.

Jim, I am sorry for your ordeal. I only hope that although they did not intercede, they did follow and watch bubba and bubba family secretly. One on the video cameras and the other hiding in very small places!

Coka

Sorry you had trouble with security. I do not blame you for not sailing NCL again. As far as Lattitude cards go. We have sailed NCL 5 times and I have never seen any advantage on any ship or any price reduction because of it. I think Lattitudes is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chip

Sorry you had trouble with security. I do not blame you for not sailing NCL again. As far as Lattitude cards go. We have sailed NCL 5 times and I have never seen any advantage on any ship or any price reduction because of it. I think Lattitudes is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chip

EArly boarding, 15% discount on drinks, fun party with great snacks, these are not advantages!? It's a free program and I wouldn't expect too many reductions etc. It isn't meant to offer us all kinds of perks.

NMNIta

Archived