Done Conquest, How about RCI Voyager Class?

atlj

We've completed our Conquest Cruise and had a great time, but would like

to hear from others who have done Carnival and then done a Voyager Class

on Royal Caribbean.

The specific reason we want to try Voyager Class on RCI is more variety

of activities especially for our children who would be 10 when we cruised again. They were 9 on this past Conquest Cruise and found activities for

this age group really lacking. The activities in the organized kids program were very juvenile for this age group and besides the arcade there was not

much else going on. Of course they had a great time with the pool, slide and

everything else going on board. Again, we all had a great time, but thought

the extra amenities such as rock climbing, ice skating etc. sound good.

So again, anyone who has done both classes of ships, I would love to hear

from you.

Thanks.

We were on Mariner of the Seas in January. It was very nice. We don't have kids so can't say exactly but did notice all ages using and enjoying the rock wall, ice skating, putt-putt. I think they had separate areas for teenagers, pre-teen, etc also. Kids would probably like it alot.

We won't go on it again but only because we felt like the ship closed up at 11 p.m.-very litle night life. They did allow 18-21 year olds to drink beer and wine which was not pretty. They were vomiting all over the disco.

I am a TA and have clients who LOVE the Mariner, but I went on the Explorer, and it was the nastiest, dirtiest ship I have ever been on, and the service has horrible... I cant compare to the Conquest... I am leaving on it next week for my honeymoon!!! But, I have been on all lines, and this was my only dissapointment.

RCI's kids program pales in comparison to Carnival's, according to DD & SIL.

Rock walls and ice rinks at sea? No thank you.

*Years* ago, RCI's product was far superior to what Carnival offered. The Song of Norway was a fabulous ship for it's day, while the best Carnival had to offer were the Fantasy Class ships. Perhaps they've gotten complacent, but Carnival has raced past RCI in "total cruise experience." RCI has tried to counter with "gimmicks" like the rock wall, putt-putt, skating shows and Johnny Rockets franchises onboard. Blecch.

Back in the day, RCI marketed itself against Princess, now it seems they view Carnival as their primary competition. Perhaps they should position themselves as an alternative to NCL, they may do better. :rolleyes:

Did both....Conquest in March '03 (new) and Mariner Jan '04 (new).......The ice rink and the rock wall are not all they're cracked up to be........never saw too many wanting to try the rock wall.....and the putt putt?..........please....on a SHIP?.........lol........However I did win the "CC Host's Golf Tourney",,,,,lol,,,,,nothing to brag about on par 2 holes and it taking several more shots to get in because.......yeah.........THE SHIP ON WAVES.....imagine that...lol

Seriously.....I think Carnival has a better handle on their kid/teen programs than RCI......and I'd sail Conquest again in a heartbeat......Mariner?......na.

Well I am looking forward to the Navigator in December. I found my two cruises on the Majesty OTS to be great. I found the crew to be much friendlier than what I have experienced on Carnival. I also found the service to be much better. Even though I do not have kids, I cannot see where Carnival has that great of a program for teens. If they did maybe we would not see them running around the ship bored with nothing to do with many getting into trouble. I say go and try RCI. You may be surprised.

I am the opposite. Conquest was ranked second to last on my 23 cruises as far as ships go. My reason, the ship is just not designed well. The public areas are crammed into one area. THere is not a promenade around the whole ship, and there are just too many people onboard. Sailing on the Voyager class vessels is a unique expereience and I think the negativity here is in the minority of thosee who have sailed on them. WHile I did not use the rock wall or ice rink, the ships are awesome in size and amenities regaurdless.

Food and service are very similar to Carnival. Not great not bad and will vary on expectations just like Carnival. FOr me, I am the oposite... I am done with the Carnival COnquest and Destiny class, but ould sail the Voyager class again for sure... if they changed the itineraries.

I'm glad you asked this question. We just booked the Mariner for Apr 2006. We thought since it is a Sunday departure, we would just pull our daughter out of school a couple of days early and go to Disneyworld.

I have to admit, that we have been on the Radiance and Monarch and we felt their kid's programs weren't at the same level as Carnival's program (although she did love climbing the rock wall). Our daughter has always had the most fun in Camp Carnival followed by Princess Kids' program. But, we figured that with a ship this big, there has to be plenty of other activities to do.

We're leaving in two hours for our flight to New Orleans and can't wait to set sail on the Conquest this Sunday.

We went on the Explorer in 2002 and the Adventure in 2003 and have nothing but praise for both of these ships. They are clean, spacious and very classy. Service was exemplary. Most of all, there were 3600 people aboard, yet you'd never know it. Our children are currently 12 and 10, and had the time of their lives!

This year we wanted to try something different, so we took the Miracle in June 2004. What a mistake! It pales in comparision to the Voyager class. Cramped, crowded, dark, dreary.....crew too over-extended to provide top-notch service to 2600 people aboard. I agree with the previous poster who said that the ship isn't designed well, especially not for accomodating such a large crowd.

My kids were bored out of their minds on the Miracle, and ended up spending a large amount of time in the cabin playing gameboys...the kids club was in an inconvenient and difficult to access location, and there never seemed to be more than 3-4 kids in their ages group participating...the pools so crowded we hardly used them. It was the worst experience I've had in 15 years of cruising.

I think you can't go wrong with the Voyager shops, especially with children, and we sincerely regret not sticking with them and trying Carnival this time.

I would also disagree with the critics here. We've been on Voyager and Navigator. It is a whole different dimension of cruising. Of course, we always come back to Carny because they're just more fun. Two times is plenty for any class ship. Except maybe Spirit class. We're doing that one 3 times.

well, I'm 15 years old. I've never really done the kids programs. I seem to be more of a relaxed cruiser. I've never had a better time than on CCL. I'd sailed RCCL 3 times in a year and a half prior to my first CCL cruise, on Voyager, then Adventure on its inaugural season, and then navigator on its preinaugural cruise. While each ship was beautiful, the food did decline, as did service everywhere but the dining room, and to be honest I wanted to try the rock wall, but I can go ice skating at home, and rock climbing, and putt putt seems difficult when you're rocking around on a ship. While I have not sailed the conquest class, I'm sure glad they don't have a Royal Promenade. On our cruises, it was constantly crowded and there wasn't a good alternate route apart from cabin hallways. Just 5 or so months into its sailing career, Adventure was in not so good shape...

I don't think I'll ever sail a voyager class ship again, honestly. My grandmother, a former travel agent with over 53 cruises behind her flat out refuses to sail with that class of ship again. This coming from someone who has done no less than 15, probably more RCCL sailings, including her honeymoon.

I asked the original question and have another for those of you with

9-11 year olds who cruised Conquest. Am I the only one who thought

Carnival's kids program for this age group was not good?

What kids in that age group wouldn't want to rock climb, ice skate etc. compared with playing games designed for 5 and 6 year olds.

Just my opinion, but I can't see the greatness of Carnivals kids program.

I have sailed Voyager and many times on Carnival. I loved everything about my cruises but prefer Carnival.

On the VOyager--ice skating was only one hour that whole week. Mini-golf was good--if the ship was standing still..lol its hard to hit a ball on a moving ship. But the ice show was awesome. And the rock climbing wall.. in the begining of the week-- they had lines to climb but no one was climbing after Tuesday-- (got old fast??) Kids program on Rccl when they particiapate in activities they scored ship shape Dollars which they can turn in at the end of the week for soverniers.

Carnival has a better night life..unless you like music and dancing which seemed to be my choice on the Voyager.

my Voyager web page==

http://joephila.net/cruise/

My 9-year-old Son didn't want anything to do with Carnival's kid's program on Victory this summer. He did enjoy "hanging out" on the ship with me and playing in the arcade, but not the organized kid's program. He said it was "boring". He loved the kid's program on Disney, but he was a few years younger then. His favorite ship is Explorer of the Seas (also my favorite). Although, he did not like the kid's program on Explorer either, he DID love all the activities on the ship! He rock climbed, ice skated, roller bladed, played golf, ping-pong, and tons of other things. He loved the Royal Promenade and the entire ship. He wishes every ship was a Voyager-class ship! I was very surprised to read a previous post describing Explorer as a "nasty" ship :eek: . I sailed on her twice (most recently was in April) and both times she was sparkling from end to end and the service and overall experience was outstanding. Far from nasty! I'm glad I wasn't onboard the same week as shungirl. I can't imagine what happened that week to leave her with such a low opinion of the ship :( Whatever it was, I'm sure RCCL must have addressed it because most of the reviews I read about Explorer are complimentary. Maybe the crew was on strike that week? ;) Anyway, to the original poster, I can tell you that my 9-year-old would highly recommend a Voyager-class ship to your 10-year-olds and he has been on several Carnival ships and on Disney as well.

We have done both the Conquest and 2 Voyager class ships. My girls were 9&11 when we did the Voyager. The kids programs are hit or miss depending on the camp group leader and the kids on board on a given sailing. My kids prefer the Voyager ships.They do the rock climbing,roller bladeing(sp), ice skating ect. They also enjoy the promenade more.The issue I have with both is the cost, RCCL is always several hundred to a thousand more rate wise and the rewards (visa Card) is harder to achieve than with CCL. I prefer RCCL but I would rather cruise more often so we choose CCL. I do like the RCCL gimmicks but for my actual out of pocket I go with CCL.

Steve

kkorman,

Jan 2005 Miracle $1967.60

Voyager $2548.60

$600 savings (4 people including all ports and taxes)

$1000 off with CCL mastercard points

$500 off with RCCL points

Net net..... $967.60 with CCL

$2048.60 with RCCL

Total difference in my case is $1000+

Steve

We've done the Conquest and the Explorer........my kids were 8 & 11 on the Explorer and I didn't see them except at some meal times the entire week!! They LOVED the kids program. They had scavenger hunts and parades and pirate night where they met the captain and had their pictures taken with him. They had pajama night where they went to a movie and had popcorn. They were in two different age groups but both had the time of their lives! Even on the private island they went with their groups all day......had water balloon fights in the sand and who knows what else! I never had so much freedom while at the same time no guilt cuz I knew they were having a blast. The 6-8 age group had to be signed in and out and you always knew where they were. The 9-11 age group could only sign themselves out if you gave them permission, which I did sometimes. My kids even stayed till 1:00 am several of the nights (you had to pay per hour for that but it was worth it..........they BEGGED to stay). The ship was immaculate!........They drained and scrubbed all but one swimming pool and hot tub EVERY NIGHT. There was ALWAYS someone wiping down hand rails and elevator buttons with disinfectant. It was constant. And they (the staff) ALWAYS made eye contact and smiled and said hello.

The Conquest was quite a different story. Although we did have alot of fun on that cruise too (how can you not?), the kids were not thrilled with the kids program. My kids were 9 and 12 on the Conquest, and the 12 year old didn't get involved with the program at all. He hung around his older brother the entire trip (he's 20). My 9 year old went to kids club and had fun but it was very confusing for him AND for us to know WHERE to meet at what time. There was no specific place to meet or pick up..........it was a constantly changing thing. Drop off at the Cezanne restaurant at 2:00, pick up at the Degas Lounge at 5:30, etc. The whole week was like that. And if the kid got bored (which he did several times), they could just sign themselves out!!! 9 years old and I had no idea where he was most of the time. I spent an AWFUL LOT OF TIME during the week looking for my kids. It got quite annoying and took away from my trip for sure. We took walkies but found it difficult to use them because they were kind of heavy and many times he would want to swim or go on the slide and didn't have anything to do with it then. I knew all the counselors on the Explorer and they knew my boys and greeted them by name after the first day. There was always a group of 5 or 6 of them at all times. On Conquest, many (most) times it was just 1 counselor and not always the same one so it was difficult to get to know them and vise versa.

So strictly from a kid standpoint (and from the parent of kids) I'd definitely say the Voyager class ships are more fun. We never used the rock wall or the ice rink but we did play putt putt once (just because we could). But my boys all LOVED the full court basketball and all the activities that took place there. And they LOVED the promenade. On the other hand, they also LOVED the water slide on Conquest and the 24 hour ice cream (Explorer shut off the ice cream at 8pm). Both had the 24 hour pizza which they also loved.

So there it is............for what it's worth............hope it helps.

kkorman,

Jan 2005 Miracle $1967.60

Voyager $2548.60

$600 savings (4 people including all ports and taxes)

$1000 off with CCL mastercard points

$500 off with RCCL points

Net net..... $967.60 with CCL

$2048.60 with RCCL

Total difference in my case is $1000+

Steve

Don't know your specific dates, but I priced the 3rd week in Jan on my website of choice and 4 people on an inside cabin and got VOS for 2335 and the Miracle for 2317. Can't do anything about the rewards, but looks like you got a good deal on the Miracle.

Since I am a Diamond Member with RCL and a often Carnival Cruiser (8 so far), let's compare the my last two cruises: Mariner vs. Glory

1) RCL has a conceiges lounge

2) Carnival has a waterslide

3) RCL has mini golf, in-line skating, and a rock wall. (Cool if you use it!)

4) RCL had two speciality restaurants (or is it three with Johnny Rockets), Carnival had one.

5) Glory had lots of places to eat outside, Marnier None.

6) Carnival had laundrettes, Marnier nothing.

7) Marniner had RANCH Steak, Carnival had Filet.

8) Mariner - Full size basketball, Carnival - Smaller than half court

9) Carnival - More self serve ice cream stations

10) In my opinion, the food is a toss up. But Carnival has more free speciality stuff (Fish & Chips, Deli, etc.)

11) In my opinion, the activities and entertainment go to Carnival.

12) In price comparisons, CCL is generally less expensive. I guess this makes RCL more upscale.

13) Glory left on a Saturday and the Mariner left on a Sunday - Same embarkation port. Could make a difference to some people.

14) The Room service menu on RCl was much nicer than CCL - More Choices!

Hope this helps.

Host Terry

7) Marniner had RANCH Steak, Carnival had Filet.

O.M.H.! I *forgot* about the raunch steak! That one item, in and of itself, should be worth a 20 point deduction on the next CDC inspection.

O.M.H.! I *forgot* about the raunch steak! That one item, in and of itself, should be worth a 20 point deduction on the next CDC inspection.

In the last lists of upgrades to the RCI fleet that I read on the RCI board a few weeks back, it was stated that the Ranch steak will be phased out... much to the disappointment of everyone on board.

I've never seen the ranch steak on any of my RCCL cruises. Is it on the main dining menu or in the Windjammer? Somehow I've avoided it! I'm not a big steak eater anyway, so even if it was there, I would not have noticed it I guess. It has certainly acquired a reputation though! :eek: I'm sure it will be missed! ;)

Archived