Cruising with an Electric Wheelchair and VPap

Hi

I'm from Perth Western Australia and have Spinal Muscular Atrophy and use an Electric wheelchair all of the time and require the use of a VPap at night to assist with breathing.

I am very interesting in going on P&O's new ship Pacific Dawn in November. I have been told by P&O that the cabins only have 240V power coming out only at 60Watts. My questions is will I be able to cruise, as I will have to have my VPap running and be charging my Electric chair over night.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm very excited and desperately want to go!

Scooterrach

Scooterach, Although Pacific Dawn will be new to P&O Australia, she is actually a conversion from the current Regal Princess. Can't say for sure, but as an older Princess ship which has sailed itineraries all over the world, I would expect the ship's cabins to be fitted for both US and European voltages. Surely P&O Australia should be able to answer that for certain. If I were you, I would be equally concerned about the availability of a handicapped accessible cabin - as Regal, she had very few and most of them were inside. But with an electric wheelchair you would need an accessible cabin in order to have a cabin door wide enough to access and a level floor and grab bars in the bathroom. Unfortunately for you guys down under, both Carnival and now Princess seem to be "dumping" their older ships your way as they have new ones coming on line. Not that they are antiques, but they do not have either the number or variety of accessible cabins that the new ships do:) :)

Archived