This is so Way OT....but I'll "tie in a cruise connection"

sail7seas

We've had hot, humid weather in and around Boston this week and DH and I were deciding if it was too hot to take our after dinner walk Tuesday night. We went back and forth discussing this subject through our dinner. We decided, by compromise, to walk but a shorter distance than usual.

Off we go, we trudge along, perspiring commensurate to the heat. We were turning off a main street onto a side street which would take us back to our home and we see a large SUV swing out of traffic and across the side street we are turning into. The driver is beeping and waving and smiling from ear to ear.

We look to see who is it......Our Cardiologist. He was so thrilled to see us "following doctor's suggestion" and got such a kick out of seeing us sweating our way down the street, he simply had to stop and say Hi.

Is that a nice guy or what? Did we earn a ton of brownie points on that one?

To keep the wolves at bay who will complain this is not HAL cruise related.......:)

When you cruise on an HAL ship, do you ever bear in mind those usual things you try to do at home to improve/maintain your health. Does your doctor's voice ever "echo in your head" when you stuff in more calories than you know he/she would approve?

Yep!!! And I sooth my demons by going for a walk "just one more time" around the promenade, or by ordering the fish entree instead of that hunk of Primerib being offered!! That doesn't mean though that my demons don't win at the Ice Cream bar in the afternoon!!!:eek: :cool:

:)

Weather we are on a cruise or at home we always try to keep good health an issue. Although husband's heart attack was genetic (he had low cholestrol, exercised 6 - 7 times a week, and ate healthy) - we still maintain good healthy habits.

He goes to the health club before 6 AM every week day and we have a treadmill at home.

This summer has not been a good one for us walking outdoors. He live in a very hilly area, lots of rain, and a lot of humidty.

That was great that your cardiologist saw you walking and stopped to talk to you.

:D

When you cruise on an HAL ship, do you ever bear in mind those usual things you try to do at home to improve/maintain your health. Does your doctor's voice ever "echo in your head" when you stuff in more calories than you know he/she would approve?

Yes ... in the sense that I've changed my life-habits and now walk, almost automatically, a couple of times nearly every day. Indeed, it's EASIER to walk on the ship ... the Promenade is so lovely, the view is so comforting, the people are so nice ... it's wonderful.

We exercise more onboard ship than we do at home. I think we eat healtier aboard ship, too.

We walk so much when we are off of the ship and try to use the health club every day.

We spend our days chained to our computers and don't make much time for walking. I am getting ready for my birthday resolution which includes losing a lot of weight. I know I will not have success unless I start to walk. I've read the South Beach Diet book. Now I have to start putting in into practice.......

I think it is so wonderful that you have the good fortune to have a doctor who cares to that degree. It reminds me of days of old...when your family doctor was your family friend. In these times of managed care, and the doctors being so rushed and overbooked, it's good to know there's one who thinks of you even in his off hours.

As the saying goes, Heather.....you sure did speak a mouthful. We met him for the first time last December when my DH brought me very, very ill to the Emergency Room and he just happened to be standing in the doorway on his way home. He had finished his rounds and had his topcoat on.....He came back in when he knew I badly needed his help. Without question, he saved my life and we BOTH know it.

There was an angel on my shoulder that night to (a) help me survive and (b) to provide him to help me do that.

I think (trying to read his facial expression as we chatted with him the other night) that he had to be thinking to himself......I did something good this year. Here is this woman who is healthy and well and out walking with her husband on a summer night. She could well have died if I had gone on my way home that night and not gone back into the ER.

I think we will always have a "bit special" doctor/patient relationship.

I think it's great that your cardiologist cares that much, and wouldn't have cared if you didn't relate your post to a cruise.:)

However, since you did ask a question, I guess I'll answer. On our last cruise we decided we were going to use the gym often. We did jog a couple of mornings before breakfast, but didn't make it to the gym until the last day, and then we went twice. Talk about too little too late.

As far as eating habits. I carefully watch what I eat all the time, so while on a cruise I just throw caution to the wind and enjoy. I know I'll get right back into my habits my first day home.

Wow ... you gave me chills. Wonderful story. Funny how things work out sometimes, isn't it? As you say ... an angel. Gives one pause to wonder why people are placed in a certain place at a precise moment. And that if they had not been, life would most certainly be at the very least forever changed. I had a very similar feeling when my life was miraculously spared in a head on collision with a driver who passed out at the wheel. I've never looked at life in quite the same way again. There is a reason for everything. Sometimes we find out why, sometimes we don't. Thanks for sharing your moment.

Archived