princess cay shopping question

lssg

I read somewhere on these boards about buying from venders behind a

fence on princess cays ....Where are these venders? What fence? I was on the CB and went to princess cay and don't recall there being a fence....can someone explain this to me...

Yes, there is a small shopping area just outside of the actual Princess compound at Princess Cays. The entrance to it is right where the tenders come in, but at the rear of the property.

MUCH better prices on small items and jewelry than the "official" Princess Cays shops.

Yes, there is a small shopping area just outside of the actual Princess compound at Princess Cays. The entrance to it is right where the tenders come in, but at the rear of the property.

MUCH better prices on small items and jewelry than the "official" Princess Cays shops.

I don't get it---the shop is on the Princess Cays-aren't they part of the Princess lines ? Even if the prices are cheaper. I can't see Princess letting some vendor setting up shop on their property,even if it is outside of the Princess compound.

Please fill me in:confused:

I don't get it---the shop is on the Princess Cays-aren't they part of the Princess lines ? Even if the prices are cheaper. I can't see Princess letting some vendor setting up shop on their property,even if it is outside of the Princess compound.

Please fill me in:confused:

Princess only leases the land, and then it isn't the whole island, just the part you call their compound. The "official" Princess shop are on the area leased by Princess. The "other" shops are outside of the area leased by Princess, so Princess has no control over them.

Princess only leases the land, and then it isn't the whole island, just the part you call their compound. The "official" Princess shop are on the area leased by Princess. The "other" shops are outside of the area leased by Princess, so Princess has no control over them.

Bruce described it real well. The name "Princess Cays" is very much a misnomer to make it sound as if Princess actually has their own little island. In reality, Princess Cays refers to a small section of beach on Eleuthera Island in the Bahamas. The island is over 35 miles long and Princess leases this small section of beach. The depth of the Princess property can't be more than 100-150 yards or so, if that. The private shops are directly behind the Princess Cays compound.

This "private cay" is like RCCL's Labadee. However, at least now RCCL is admitting that Labadee is actually on Haiti. When we sailed RCCL 3 years ago and went to Labadee, they kept calling it Royal Caribbean's "private island". Total bull. Labadie is a Haiti State Park, on the mainland, that RCCL leases 3-4 days a week. The other days when ships aren't there, it's a public state park. 3 years ago they wouldn't even admit it was part of Haiti.

But, to answer your question, like Bruce said, the other shops are not controlled by Princess. In fact, we did all of our trinket shopping on the outside shops. If you are looking for expensive jewelry or high end shopping, this is NOT the place. It's very much local crafts, locally made jewelry, and small souvenirs. There is no town to go into. Just a small grouping of local shops.

Hope this clears up your questions.

Brad

Hmmm...I like this! Don't often do too much shopping, but I would much rather support a local person, than Princess. Can someone be pretty SPECIFIC on how to find this area -- we will be there in October, and I'd like to check it out! Thanks! :)

Hmmm...I like this! Don't often do too much shopping, but I would much rather support a local person, than Princess.......QUOTE]

Amen to that!!! I couldn't agree more. Those people need the $$ WAY more than Princess (or any cruise line, for that matter). That's why we did our shopping there. Again, let me stress that this isn't like shopping on the main street of Georgetown, Grand Cayman or the main streets in St. Thomas or St. Maarteen. This would be more akin to shopping the local market in Jamaica or Mexico. Not too much high dollar, high end stuff. More local arts, crafts, trinkets, etc. We bought some shell bracelets, fridge magnets, postcards, small figurines and a lot of what would be called local souvenir stuff. But, the people were very nice and VERY thankful for whatever sale they could make.

As you can imagine, Princess Cays didn't have a sign saying "Cheaper, Local Vendors this way" with an arrow. But, they also didn't keep you from leaving the compound to shop here either.

See if you can pull up the attached picture. It is of Princess Cays. The 2 jetties (looks like sand bars in the pic) sticking out into the water are the entrance to the tender docking lagoon. That lagoon to the right (in the picture) of the jetties is the tender dock. It's a darker blue water due to it being deeper. There is actually a tender in there in this picture in the top left corner of the lagoon.

You get off the tender on the left side of the lagoon (top in the picture). The shopping area entrance is basically to the left and behind the lagoon when coming into the lagoon. In the picture, the shopping area is that grassy and sandy area just to the right of the tender lagoon. You can pretty much see it right when you get off the tender. You will have to go out of the Princess Cays compound fence which is manned by Princess security, and then show your cruise ID to get back in. But, there are no security or safety issues at all. It couldn't be any safer as all this is is a group of local merchants that have set up a small shopping area.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I encourage you to check it out because it's more than your normal cruise shop fare. The only thing the Princess Cays shops had that the "outside" shops didn't have was A/C. :)

later, Brad

ps...we were there in October ourselves. 2 years ago. This October we are trying Norwegian for our first time and I'm trying to find info on their "private cay", Great Stirrup Cay.

PrincessCayAerial.jpg.e2f3a245581a19a4a3b4205571f97816.jpg

Hey Brad! Thanks so much for this GREAT information - I was able to view the photo and see exactly what you were talking about. Sounds like something we will definately check out! I bought a straw purse from a vendor (NOT in the straw market) earlier this year when we were in Nassau, so I am hoping to find another on Princess Cays -- from a local vendor, not some Princess rep! While cruising is a great way to travel and see the world, we always like to support the islands and people we are visiting...we hardly ever even book a tour or excursion through the cruiseline anymore. We've had terrific luck and experiences with native people who have the ulitmate knowledge and love for their country! We like to purchase things from these people as well -- especially handcrafted items - such a nice rememberance! Enjoy your next trip...we are doing a 10 day in October - friend's are getting married on the ship -- can't wait! Mary :)

Boy - I love these boards- You ask a question and you truly get an answer...Thank you one and all for the information- I really thought that the Cays were just a place to kill time. But I will make it a point to get off the ship and spent some money to help the folks that really matter.

Happy Sailing to All !!!!!!!!

Hey, I'm glad to answer some questions and hopefully help some people. I can certainly return the favor that's been done for me in years past. And, you're right Mumsie, you can get a wealth of info on these boards! I have been on 3 cruises in the last 3 years. Everything I did at the various ports was all done after reading all the different reviews here. ie, the non-ship excursion to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman (done twice actually), the non-ship excursion up Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios, going to Chankanaab State Park in Cozumel, etc. etc...

Heck, the shopping on Princess Cays that we have been talking about was info that I had found on these boards 2 years ago. I would have never known about these shops if not for reading it right here on the Cruise Critic boards myself. And like you Mary, my wife and I would much rather have something locally made than something out of the cruise ship gift shop. You are right about those rememberences sticking out more in your mind and meaning more to you.

So, GREAT that you all got something out of it! Have a great cruise!

Brad

Hey, I'm glad to answer some questions and hopefully help some people. I can certainly return the favor that's been done for me in years past. And, you're right Mumsie, you can get a wealth of info on these boards! I have been on 3 cruises in the last 3 years. Everything I did at the various ports was all done after reading all the different reviews here. ie, the non-ship excursion to Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman (done twice actually), the non-ship excursion up Dunns River Falls in Ocho Rios, going to Chankanaab State Park in Cozumel, etc. etc...

Heck, the shopping on Princess Cays that we have been talking about was info that I had found on these boards 2 years ago. I would have never known about these shops if not for reading it right here on the Cruise Critic boards myself. And like you Mary, my wife and I would much rather have something locally made than something out of the cruise ship gift shop. You are right about those rememberences sticking out more in your mind and meaning more to you.

So, GREAT that you all got something out of it! Have a great cruise!

Brad

So Brad---What did you buy ? The t-shirts that are there are they "Princess Cruise" stuff ? And the folks that are running these shops-where are they from ?

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

Merv1 there were straw purses sold there. There was one lady close to the food and beverage area that sold straw bags with flowers on them (very pretty and lined with fabric) and she would put a name on for you if you wanted. I bought 3 for DIL's but no names. Other vendors had bags also. Hematite (grayish black) necklaces were also very plentiful and inexpensive. We were there in December and they had some ornaments also. I had fun shopping there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Thanks for the info on the off-compound shopping.

What are the typical prices of things and are the vendors willing to negotiate?

I assume they are accepting American dollars as well.

Also, when you get outside of the Princess area, have you heard of anyone taking a tour of Eleuthera?

Prices from the vendors outside the fenced princess area are cheaper and they will negotiate prices. when we were there november 2008 they did accept US dollars. No one was offering a tour of the island and I hear the town wasn't close.

• 2 years later...

Great information...If these are the vendors "behind" the main service areas the ladies are very nice, great items. I recall some that also braided hair. I picked up a few items. These ladies only take cash so make sure to have small bills.

Princess shops if I recall take cruise cards but not 100% never bought anything from them...I know they take cruise card for drinks :D:p

Archived