RCCL Credit Card Cancelled

Yep, Would you believe it? I've been a victim of Credit Card Fraud.

I went to check my account online yesterday and found that there was an "Alert" on it and my account was on hold.

I got a call from the Fraud Department at Bank of America yesterday afternoon in reference to some unusual charges being placed on my card. Sure enough these were online charges that weren't mine.

So they had to cancel my account and will be reissuing a new card with a new account number. He said it will take 5 to 7 days. What a hassel this is going to be. I immediately called our investigator at home and told him what happened. He's got all the information and will work on it. We're pretty sure we know where it happened.

All I can say is "Hats off to Bank of America" for being on top of it and stopping it before it got really crazy.

Do you think they got your numbers off of a receipt or was it over the phone or something. I get so paranoid when I have to give my numbers online or the phone. Sorry you had to go through this.:mad:

I've had it happen twice on my RCCL Visa card. Once 3 years ago and once last October. Quite frankly the bank tells me these "guys" are so good it's next to impossible to stop anyone who is good enough. Both times had to have new card issued. I have to say that the bank made what could have been a major hassle, much lees of a problem.

About 7 weeks ago my RCCL card was cancelled too. I received a call from them saying my card had unusual charges on it. They mailed me a new card, new account number. I asked what the charges they were and they said they were from out of the USA (I haven't traveled since 2006).

We had the same thing happen last year right before we were going to cash in our Disney Visa points. I also suspect that our number was lifted at a restaurant. I was very nervous about our points not being transferred correctly and a new card not being issued quickly since our vacation was so close at hand. Anyway, Chase did a great job of detected the fraud, transferring our points and issuing our new card. It was amazing that they noticed the fraud since my husband travels frequently and we always seem to have all sorts of charges on our card. I hope everything goes smoothly for the OP too!

My boss has had issues (not BOA card) with fraud charges and has their card canceled 2 times.

The charges are from out of country (France they think)

And it is the War of warcraf software or online game site that is being charged on his account

All I can say is "Hats off to Bank of America" for being on top of it and stopping it before it got really crazy.

I have banked with BOA for years and so has my mom. They are great about catching things, even on a checking account. I never write checks, okay occasionally, I am just finishing my second box of checks since moving to Texas like 8 yrs ago, anyway, I wrote a check to a friend for something and before they cleared the check they called me to make sure I really wrote the check! They said since I had never written one to that person before it alerted them to fraud.

This happened to us last week. I checked my Bank of America card charges online, which I do every week or so and there was a message to contact the fraud alert department. Apparently, somebody used my card and swiped it in a machine in New York (we live in Florida and have not been in New York for some time). Both my husband's card and mine are here, in our wallets. Luckily the counterfeit card had the wrong expiration date (our cards had just expired and new ones were issued last month) so the charge was denied. No other attempts were made to use the card - all other charges were ours.

The Bank of America people cancelled our card and assigned our charges (and Royal Caribbean credits) to a new number and have sent out new cards to us.

this happened to us as well- last sept and the week we were leaving for enchantment of the seas- i was in panic mode - cc company ended up having to overnight the new card to us at the precruise hotel- it arrived safely about an hour before we headed to the ship...........close - and this was also the day i needed to make final payment for another cruise and to buy insurance for that cruise........................thankfully , it all workd out just fine :) phew!

Slghtly tongue in cheek....Do you get points for the fraudulent charges, before they cancel and reissue your card? LOL

Hypo (Just kidding, I am setting here bored and wishing October was here for our cruise)

I too have had my credit card number stolen. Had about $900 charged to some vitamin company. The credit card company was the one that actually caught the charge.

A friend of mine had the exact same thing happen the same month, to the same company. Except hers was about $3500. I think my remaining credit left on the card was lower, so that limited the amount they could charge to me.

Anyway, the only thing we could figure out is that we both had ordered a Halloween costume from the same online site a few months prior to the charges showing up. That had to be it.

The credit card company took care of it of course, and issued new cards, but it made me wary of ordering anything online - but one can't live in a bubble. :rolleyes:

I have banked with BOA for years and so has my mom. They are great about catching things, even on a checking account. I never write checks, okay occasionally, I am just finishing my second box of checks since moving to Texas like 8 yrs ago, anyway, I wrote a check to a friend for something and before they cleared the check they called me to make sure I really wrote the check! They said since I had never written one to that person before it alerted them to fraud.

BofA has an excellent fraud department! DH got a call from them and was worried it was a phishing expedition so I told him to return the call to the 800# on his CC and ask for the fraud department. Sure enough, someone used his CC and they caught it, declined the charges and cancelled his card. They told him what they do is put through a very small charge just to see if it will go through, then hit it with the big purchases. He has no idea how they got ahold of it.

One thing that more people should do is have more than one account. I sell on Ebay and have a checking account with a atm visa when I get paid the money gets moved to another account at a different bank. I have 4 different cc's 3 of them have a very low limit on them ($500.00) I use these cards at restraunts and on line ordering ect. If there is some fraud on one of the card I still have others so it does not spoil my vacation. it is a little more work to keep everything straight ut it is worth the time.

We just had it happened to us 2 weeks ago. DW checks our BofA page everyday and on this particular day there was a $1.00 from some other country. I can't remember which one now. She called BofA immediately they froze the account and reissued new cards, which we received on Thursday. I had DW call BofA just to make sure that they did not screw-up our points. They didn't. So all is well for now.

Reminds me of when our number was "cloned" off our Discover card many years ago. My son, who usually runs like a rat when he hears the car pulling up with groceries, comes out to "help" me. Asks if Dad had been to California on business lately. Told him no. He said our Discover bill just came (this was before internet) and he had opened it because we shared the card and wanted to know what his charges were. There were a whole bunch of charges from California--about $3K worth made over one week (which was the time it takes from the closing date to get the bill to you). They ate cheap but got new furniture. When DH came home, I presented him with the bill and told him it was bad enough he sneaked off to California without me but what really frosted my pumpkin was the $300 he dropped at Victoria's Secret for his girlfriend! There was no problem with Discover taking the charges off.

Another time I was doing a blitz errand trip just around here. We have a lot of small towns that ring Houston and I hit about three different ones in a couple of hours charging as I went along. When I got home, I had a call on my machine from Discover's fraud department to call them. Luckily, this was after my last charge so I wasn't turned down anywhere.

Tucker in Texas

Archived