first time scared costa person

ivan427

my wife and i are fisst time costa passengers. we are from ny , live in long island, born in brooklyn, i read the good and bad , please someone give me some good news on the food, we were on rccl last year and we had a horrible waiter, and my wife hated it. be fore i make the same mistake, i need some positive feedback about the food

thanks

ivan and marianne

I found the food to be below the quality of Royal caribbean, but not by too much. Our waiter and assitant waiter were friendly and personable. I can say that the lobster tails were the best of any cruise line I have been on. Our waiter had no problem taking back any dish we didn't care for and replacing it with another choice. I would definitely ask your waiter for his/her recommendations each night--they'll usually steer you in the right direction.

While we have only been on two Costa Cruises (40+ total), it's not because we did not enjoy them both and would not hesitate to sail Costa again when we can find a 10+Day or B2B that suits our schedule.

One thing we loved about Costa was the GREAT service! Both times our waiter, room steward, bar servers, etc. were all happy, friendly, and helpful!

We were alway made to feel like they actually cared if we enjoyed our meals, drinks, and "were having a good time".

It's fun to try different cruise lines! Really don't think you'll be unhappy with Costa!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Its not that Costa is bad, its just the passangers they attract that mess it all up. Service is great, food is different but overall very good. There ships are clean and well cared for, just remember you wont be with Americans all week, and that can make a vacation miserable! brett

We were on the Atlantica in March We found the ship to be very clean and the staff helpful. There were alot of Itlalian Americans which we found to be different. Two ladies found it no problem changing there bathing suites by the pool trying to be discreet under a towel, it was unbelievable when the washroom was right there. Adults only pool did not count to them, there kids were exempt! We found the dining room to be very noisey on the lower level so we were lucky enough to be changed to another table with friends we had met on board with no problem on the upper level. I was disappointed that I could not get an expresso after dinner as I prefer to have that other than desert. It was only abvailable at breakfast and no amount of begging could I get them to make me one. The food was okay we did eat in the speciality restaurant one night it was wonderful for the ambiance the food was just okay. Never did the toga thing it was about 50-50. We had an inside cabin which we had more than enough room we were impressed with that and was always cleaned an fresh ice there. For the price that they offer it was fine but if we would have payed to brochure price we would not have been impressed.

Helpme,

Adults only pool did not count to them, there kids were exempt, found Italian Americans to be different.

Did you take a survey, since you seem to know who was Italian American, or do they look different than other Americans.

Italian Americans are American, they are born here, why would they be different from you. Do you think only Italian Americans let there kids do whatever they want. Italian families keep their children closer. Families and togetherness is very important to Italians, but I think it is also important to others besides Italians. Being Italian has nothing to do with being able to follow rules.

ILove2cruise I was not knocking the Italian Americans seeing I have lots of friends who are. They did speak Italian so that was a given and no they dont look any different. I also think its wonderful that all the families are together but I'm sorry when I go to a adults only pool because I've worked hard all year for a vacation I dont think its too much to ask for adults only in a pool when there are other pools on the ship for families to enjoy. Sorry if I offended you it was not intended in the least.

Ivan247

Sailed my first Costa this past Feb. I found the food enjoyable in the dinning room, but as bethcollins said, asking the waiter what he recommends is the way to go.

Each evening I asked our waiter what he recommended, and each night I had the most wonderful meals. I even ordered items I wouldn't have normally ordered because the waiter recommended it, and I wasn't sorry I did!:)

I'm glad I asked each night.

So the only positive thing I have to say is.... ask the waiter!

p.s. the service staff is wonderful, enjoy your cruise:)

I don't disagree about the children. Costa charges only $99 for children, so there are alot more than any other cruise line. Yes the parents should know better but It's still up to costa to inforce the rules(and they don't).

I was on the Costa med, more than 50% of that ship were out of control children. Their parents allowed these children the run of the ship all night long.

I was on the Atlantica and it was not overrun by children, lots of children yes, unruly no. The staff on ship went to the children and their parents and told them to go to the family pool, and when the European women started taking off their bikini tops the children were herded out of there by their parents. We liked Costa enough to book another cruise with them.

WE have cruised Costa 2x and enjoyed both cruises...It was enjoyable seeing some of the crew from our first cruise 2 years earlier who had moved from the Romantica to the Atlantica...and yes they remember you!!

In my opinion service and friendliness is a notch above Carnival and RCCL... Food is good however, breakfasts have a European flair (cold cuts, cheeses, etc). There are also many foreigners on the ship. This is even true during Spring Break. We noticed many Latin American families and European families. I would say its a very "culturable" experience

The problem with children running rampanth appears to have little to do with ethnicity OR cruise lines. We were on an RCCL cruise in June where the kids ran unsupervised all the time and the staff did nothing. When we complained that children were constantly in the pool area designated for adults we were told that they were paying passengers too and there was nothing the staff could do. WRONG!! If it is posted in advance that an area is adult only, there should be no problem with clearly enforcing it.

We tried getting into the night club twice and both nights it was totally overrun by teenagers (not 20-somethings --- teenagers) --- even at closing time. Most of the adults "evacuated" and returned to our cabins--- where he spent the remainder of the night listening to the kids running around the hallways having a grand time.

I can tell you that my children would NEVER have been allowed such unsupervised access to the ship. If this were a first time event, I'd chalk it up that that particular cruise. But it has happened on the last couple of cruises we have taken. So I'm afraid it's a sign of the times.

I was on Celebrity over New Years, over 500 children. They were kept out of adult only areas of the ship.

I don't care how many children are on board there is no reason why they are allowed to roam the ship all night. As much as we say, mine would never do that, when mom's away, children will play.

I'm all for family vacations, but when alot of these parents get on board they forget they came as a family. They go their way and their children go the other way.

Costa blows RCCL out of the water. We were on Costa 2 years ago and it was fabulous. Totally different then RCCL. Just returned from our first RCCL and will never cruise with them again. Costa is superior in all accounts. You will love Costa. If you liked RCCL then you probaly will not enjoy Costa as the passengers on Costa remeber how to use a little thing called manners!

Hi!

I was back from Costa Atlantica last week, and I found food very very good from the quality to the variety and I have to admit that it's a real good cooking and Costa deserve a cruise, better, more than a cruise.

I was afraid about the choice of cruising with Costa, because I read all last winter long discontinous reviews written by past passengers, but, during my stay aboard the Atlantica, and I ever cruised on american and english ships, but I have to admit that they serves delicious dishes. I'm Italian and I know how food should be.

Night buffets are fine, don't miss the "buffet Rustico" full of very nices specialities.

About passengers (we were cruising in the North Europe) I found all very discrete, disponibles and happies, no one bypassing a line. About children, there were enought of kids, but they were all OK and well watched by parents.

Enjoy your cruise!

We've been on Costa a few times. The food they served was fine, what we were diappointed in was what they DIDN"T serve. We are big fans of the old Italian Line and Home Line where dining was like eating in Italy. We expected many, many more unique, different, regional Italian dishes that you would never expect on say, RCI but they just weren't on the menu.

After reading many posts about Costa's food, I'm begining to think they serve very different food when sailing in the states and when sailing from Europe.

STEFY14 who is from Italy and sailed from there thought the food was very Italian. I'm from Italy and live and sailed from the states and thought the food was not Italian at all.

I would take a guess and say that when Costa sails from the states they try to be more American. I picked Costa thinking it would be very Italian, It wasn't.

As much as I didn't care for Costa, I'd cruise Costa again before I cruised RCCL again.

We felt that way also about the food. One of the reasons we picked Costa was because we love Italian food. I was disapointed as my favourite is the stuffed ravioli preferably with crab or lobster and we never saw it on the menu also it was impossible to get expresso after dinner.

One of the main reason I like to cruise is for the entertainment.

On Costa Atlantica, in April 2004, we found it very limited. We missed the comedians. I guess they couldn't have commedians since they would have to say the jokes in 5 languages.

The food was okay at best. Our waiter and asst. waiter didn't work very well together, and I felt like I had to beg to have my water glass refilled. My children asked for a flavor of sherbet, that was not on the menu, and they refused to see if they could even accomodate the request. The ship was spotless, and our room attendant was wonderful.

After 2 Carnival, 3 RCL and one Costa Cruise we are about to embark on an NCL cruise. We will likely not cruise Costa again.

Why should it become more American?

There are not enough American ships around?

I think if somebody takes a Costa cruise is to try a different experience (from food to service to shows) rather than to have another cruise American style, not to mention that even in sailings from the states there is a vas minority of Europeans to please.

My opinion, on the contrary, is that Costa should bring their style back to the old times when cruising Costa meant a completely different experience (and better food…), but I’m afraid this will be impossible under Carnival umbrella

There are not enough American ships around? There is only one ship that sails under an American flag (NCL).

When in the US their food is geared toward the American, so why not their entertainment.

I think unless Costa changes some things they won't make it here. They are not making it here the way things are. Do you see their prices compared to other cruise lines. Children are free, on most cruise lines the price goes up closer to sail date, not on Costa.

The flag means nothing; otherwise one could say MSC is not Italian, as their ships sail under Panama flag.

When I say American ships I mean American style, despite of the flag they sail under.

In my opinion Costa marketing policy is blind as if they try to “Americanise” themselves there is nothing to distinguish them from all other lines, while if they enhance their diversity they could be leader in a market niche, attracting all those open minded Americans looking for a more international experience: it will be a minority, but still a big target. I still remember the times when Carla C. and Eugenio C. were among the best ships sailing the Caribbean, and always full.

Archived