Another Journey Review, 2nd June, Long!

lisiamc

Hi Lisa,

Wonderful report. How did you like your acupuncture treatment? My husband had acupuncture on our last trip on the Galaxy and it really helped him. So, he was thinking of doing it again--would you say it's worth it?

Patsy

Hi Patsy,

I have tennis elbow and it was sore after carrying too many heavy suitcases. (That'll teach me to overpack!) The treatment on the ship made it feel much better. The acupuncturist is from Australia, and is charming. She asked all the right questions and was very well-informed. She also pampered me with a lavender eye mask and some cooling gel on my elbow afterwards. We are Captain's Club members and had a coupon for money off in the book in our cabin. I think the price before the coupon was $150 for an hour session.

Lisa

Hi Patsy,

I have tennis elbow and it was sore after carrying too many heavy suitcases. (That'll teach me to overpack!) The treatment on the ship made it feel much better. The acupuncturist is from Australia, and is charming. She asked all the right questions and was very well-informed. She also pampered me with a lavender eye mask and some cooling gel on my elbow afterwards. We are Captain's Club members and had a coupon for money off in the book in our cabin. I think the price before the coupon was $150 for an hour session.

Lisa

Hi Lisa!

I also have tennis elbow due to too much golf!!!! :p Has the treatment helped you in the long run???? I was wondering if it was just a short term solution?????? :confused:

We're sailing again in September on the Connie TA and will have plenty of sea days to have procedures. Just wondering if they are really worth it! What's ypur opinion?:D

Lisa,

Great format for your review. Thanks for taking the extra time to split it up like that, even though it was so interesting and to the point that I read every word!! Also thanks for explaining your cruising background. It's hard to put someone else's opinion in perspective without knowing what they are comparing it to.

A few questions...

Nightime entertainment - on the Century there was a guitar player on the aft veranda in the evenings. He played some current music mixed with some Jimmy Buffett, John Mellencamp, etc. He was great, and the atmosphere was perfect. Is there similar entertainment on the Journey?

What was the music like in the Cova Cafe? In the disco, were people dancing? We like to go out and have fun in the evening. You are quite hilarious about the Waves singer. I have actually heard her mentioned in another review or two, so she must have a rather .... unique style.

Also, sorry, I have a lot of questions...How about on shore entertaiment? Did you guys ever go on shore at night? We are late eaters also. We are in our early 30's, and we tend to enjoy dancing and music more than shows. If you have any recommendations for us we'd appreciate it.

THANKS for the comments about the service and food. We are going for our 10 year anniversary, so we will definitely choose Aqualina for our anniversary dinner. I am extremely encouraged about that!! Again, great job.

Hi Patsy,

Lisa

Hello Lisa;

If my memory serves me right the price sounds about the same as we paid for my husbands treatment on the Galaxy. I am also a CC member so I'll look for that coupon. My husband has a bad knee and some other health issues, also, and had his treatment on the second day of our 12 day cruise. For the remainder of the trip he felt fantastic and was able to do all of the hiking and other excursions we had planned pain-free and in extremely good spirits! This acupuncturist was as you described--very well informed, charming, and professional. My husband loved it. I got a great picture of him covered with needles from head to toe!

Thank you for the info.

Patsy

A few questions...

Nightime entertainment - on the Century there was a guitar player on the aft veranda in the evenings. He played some current music mixed with some Jimmy Buffett, John Mellencamp, etc. He was great, and the atmosphere was perfect. Is there similar entertainment on the Journey?

What was the music like in the Cova Cafe? In the disco, were people dancing?

Also, sorry, I have a lot of questions...How about on shore entertaiment? Did you guys ever go on shore at night? We are late eaters also. We are in our early 30's, and we tend to enjoy dancing and music more than shows. If you have any recommendations for us we'd appreciate it.

Hi Happycruiser,

I didn't see a guitar player - I don't think there was one, but hopefully someone else will say for sure.

The music in the Cova was usually the lady with the harp, or the piano player. The piano player played piano bar standards, and played very well. The harp lady... well, I don't remember exactly what she played, because we always walked through quickly when she was there! One night, the jazz ensemble played John Coltrane/Miles Davis type jazz. We enjoyed them a lot. Gio, the DJ in the Looking Glass, actually cared what people wanted to hear, unlike any other cruise DJ I've ever seen. He recorded one of our Cuban CDs on latin night, and added it to his mix. There were people dancing on the nights we went up there after dinner.

We didn't go ashore too much at night, but they have Harbor Night on Wednesday, which is a street fair, with music, dancing, food and tables of crafts and souvenirs. It was noisy, crowded and fun.

One of the main hang-outs seems to be Cafe Cairo on Front Street. People spill out of the front door and practically hang out of the windows every night. You will see a fair number of off-duty crew there. There seems to be plenty of night-life available in Hamilton, so I am sure you will find things that suit you ashore, if not on board.

Lisa

Hi Lisa!

I also have tennis elbow due to too much golf!!!! :p Has the treatment helped you in the long run???? I was wondering if it was just a short term solution?????? :confused:

We're sailing again in September on the Connie TA and will have plenty of sea days to have procedures. Just wondering if they are really worth it! What's ypur opinion?:D

It has really helped me, but everyone is different, of course. I don't play tennis, or golf, so I'm not sure why my elbow was annoyed with me! I've had it since December. I tried going to the physical therapist a few times, but it didn't help much. I started going to an acupuncturist about two months ago and it's been getting steadily better since then. Getting a top-up on the ship worked very well. I think I will keep going occasionally here at home to keep things working smoothly.

Good luck with your elbow!

Lisa

Do you have the time and day of the ship's sponsored on board parties? Such as Welcome Aboard, Captain's Night or Elite Event.

I'm sorry to say that we didn't keep any of the newsletters, and I don't remember the exact days. Hopefully someone else can help on this one?

Lisa

lisiamc;10459854]It has really helped me, but everyone is different, of course. I don't play tennis, or golf, so I'm not sure why my elbow was annoyed with me! I've had it since December. I tried going to the physical therapist a few times, but it didn't help much. I started going to an acupuncturist about two months ago and it's been getting steadily better since then. Getting a top-up on the ship worked very well. I think I will keep going occasionally here at home to keep things working smoothly.

Good luck with your elbow!

Thanks Lisa!

I think I will take advantage of the ship offering in September and after a full summer of golfing, I will sure need it!!!!! Right now, I wear braces on both elbows which help while playing!:D

Do you have the time and day of the ship's sponsored on board parties? Such as Welcome Aboard, Captain's Night or Elite Event.

The senior officer's cocktail party for Elite and Select was on Sunday. The regular Cocktail party was on Thursday and the wine blending for elite and select was on Friday. I don't remember the times and they are not written in the newsletter. We had a letter in our room with the times of the events when we got there.

Hi Lisa.

Thanks a lot!! That's great news about the nightime activities. Is the bar you mentioned very near the port? In other words, will we have trouble finding it?

Also, from your description of the harp lady, I think we would all get along very well :) .

Hannah

aka HappyCruiser123.

Hi Lisa.

Thanks a lot!! That's great news about the nightime activities. Is the bar you mentioned very near the port? In other words, will we have trouble finding it?

Also, from your description of the harp lady, I think we would all get along very well :) .

Hannah

aka HappyCruiser123.

Hi Hannah,

We could see the Cafe Cairo from our balcony, so it's just a very short walk from the ship. There were other likely-looking places nearby too.

Lisa

Hi Hannah,

We could see the Cafe Cairo from our balcony, so it's just a very short walk from the ship. There were other likely-looking places nearby too.

Lisa

Another good pub with nightly entertainment is Flannigans.It's located on front street,right across the street from where the ship is docked.

Lisa, I love your review. You managed to say things you did not enjoy, like the singer and the harpist, without being negative. I also really liked that you gave your background. It always helps to compare. I have never been on Celebrity so can not be a big help in comparision. i am excited as this will be for my 20th, and would really like it to be special. Especially since we are paying a little more than we usually do. Cruises in September in Florida go for a song at the last minute. You helped me become excited once again instead of worried.

What is a one day travel pass?:confused:

Lisa:

Thanks for the detailed review. However, we find we have a few questions not covered.

My wife and I are booked on the 18 day South America (Brazil) repositioning cruise on 11-10, also on deck 7. Having had 29 other cruises in the past 11 years, we understand the old style cruises, but, our questions are as follows:

1. How was the ship's stability in the Atlantic? Wife is a little concerned with sea sickness.

2. Due to open seating, how were your tablemates? Dinner is a social occasion to us and as my wife has heard all my Navy stories, I need some new ears. The thought of starting over with new tablemates each night is a little scary.

3. Entertainment: One show only? We also prefer late dining and would hate to miss the entertainment.

4. How was the "Butler" service? Other posts have described it as only glorified or "punched-up" room steward service

5. My wife and I are asthma/COPD patients and down filled pillows leave us feeling smothered or breathless. Are foam pillows available?

6. We need a refrigerator in the stateroom to store insulin. Was there a referigerator in your cabin?

7. We historically come aboard with diet coke in cans as a carry-on. Any ides if this will be a problem?

8. Unfortunately, Azamara has not completed their website and no info on shore excursions is available.

Any insight you can provide will be appreciated.

Harry & Brenda

I just came back and I agree with Lisa. Had a gret time - still no Elemis soap, tho.

1 Use a patch! it can get rocky, but no more than others I've been on.

2 Tablemates will vary. But it's a small hip and people get to know eachother quickly.

3 Go by the daiy schedue

4 No real butler service in less than suites. However thy are very attentive and available.

5 you can request foam but you might want to call or emal the pecial needs office in advance.

6 All cabins will have refridgerators by October,but many are available now. Peope needing insulin get them first. Request it if not in your cabin.

7 You can bring your Diet Coke - we did

8 Can't help with that one

Lisa:

Thanks for the detailed review. However, we find we have a few questions not covered.

My wife and I are booked on the 18 day South America (Brazil) repositioning cruise on 11-10, also on deck 7. Having had 29 other cruises in the past 11 years, we understand the old style cruises, but, our questions are as follows:

1. How was the ship's stability in the Atlantic? Wife is a little concerned with sea sickness.

2. Due to open seating, how were your tablemates? Dinner is a social occasion to us and as my wife has heard all my Navy stories, I need some new ears. The thought of starting over with new tablemates each night is a little scary.

3. Entertainment: One show only? We also prefer late dining and would hate to miss the entertainment.

4. How was the "Butler" service? Other posts have described it as only glorified or "punched-up" room steward service

5. My wife and I are asthma/COPD patients and down filled pillows leave us feeling smothered or breathless. Are foam pillows available?

6. We need a refrigerator in the stateroom to store insulin. Was there a referigerator in your cabin?

7. We historically come aboard with diet coke in cans as a carry-on. Any ides if this will be a problem?

8. Unfortunately, Azamara has not completed their website and no info on shore excursions is available.

Any insight you can provide will be appreciated.

Harry & Brenda

I just came back and I agree with Lisa. Had a gret time - still no Elemis soap, tho.

1 Use a patch! it can get rocky, but no more than others I've been on.

2 Tablemates will vary. But it's a small hip and people get to know eachother quickly.

3 Go by the daiy schedue

4 No real butler service in less than suites. However thy are very attentive and available.

5 you can request foam but you might want to call or emal the pecial needs office in advance.

6 All cabins will have refridgerators by October,but many are available now. Peope needing insulin get them first. Request it if not in your cabin.

7 You can bring your Diet Coke - we did

8 Can't help with that one

Lisa, I love your review. You managed to say things you did not enjoy, like the singer and the harpist, without being negative. I also really liked that you gave your background. It always helps to compare. I have never been on Celebrity so can not be a big help in comparision. i am excited as this will be for my 20th, and would really like it to be special. Especially since we are paying a little more than we usually do. Cruises in September in Florida go for a song at the last minute. You helped me become excited once again instead of worried.

What is a one day travel pass?:confused:

Hi tinkr2,

I'm glad you enjoyed my review! I've read so may helpful things on these boards, and I wanted to try to give something back in a small way.:)

You can buy a travel pass that can be used all day on the buses and ferries. I have also heard of people buying three-day passes, and I think other lengths are available too. I don't know what the prices are like, since ours were free, but I think they're a pretty good deal if you are planning to travel around a lot. You can also pay for each bus or ferry trip separately if you're only planning a little bit of travel.

I hope you have a great cruise, and a happy anniversary!

Lisa

Archived