Galaxy Captain and Cruise Director

Bride2Be

Does anyone happen to know who the current Captain is on the Galaxy? Also who is the current cruise director? I know that they rotate these people and am just curious.

On May 21-June 1 the Captain was Capt Mikail Margaritis - a lovely person and the Cruise Director was Stewart Turnbull. The hotel director was Philip Herbert

On May 21-June 1 the Captain was Capt Mikail Margaritis - a lovely person and the Cruise Director was Stewart Turnbull. The hotel director was Philip Herbert

Was Stewart Turnbull CD on Galaxy at this time last year as well? - I recall meeting him (or someone with a very similar name) at the Cruise Critic Connections party on last years's 2 June 10-nighter.

Was Stewart Turnbull CD on Galaxy at this time last year as well? - I recall meeting him (or someone with a very similar name) at the Cruise Critic Connections party on last years's 2 June 10-nighter.

When we sailed Galaxy in May last year the CD, now X-CD, was Shawn Cavanag.... his departure was a topic of discussion here for a while.:eek:

When we sailed Galaxy in May last year the CD, now X-CD, was Shawn Cavanag.... his departure was a topic of discussion here for a while.:eek:

I've just checked my journal from last year and I definitely wrote that the CD's name was 'Stuart Something', so I think Mr Turnbull was on Galaxy on 2 June last year. However, I also recall that he said that he'd only just come on board and was filling in during staff holidays, or something like that. Indeed, I have a recollection that this arose because he started his intro with the words 'Welcme to Century!' (or some other X ship - definitely not Galaxy). We all had a laugh and he explained the reason for his confusion.

I remember the events about Mr Cavanagh's departure being discussed at length here, but that was later during the summer, wasn't it?

Hi we just got off the wonderful Galaxy on May 14 and Stewart Turnbull was an excellent CD. He was personable and funny, and kept his noontime announcements brief. When I expressed dismay about missig the Kentucky Derby (middle of the TA crossing, no signals) he sent me a mint julep as a consolation. Good man!

On the TA sailing in December we started with captain Mikail Margaritis and changed a few days into the cruise in Seville, unfortunately I cannot remember the new captains name, I do remember however that he was not very personable. The cruise director was Shaun Cavanagh, in my opinion he was awful, he was always talking at you instead of talking to you, you'll be pleased to know he is gone now. Philip Herbert, the hotel director was excellent, a very nice man.

On the TA sailing in December we started with captain Mikail Margaritis and changed a few days into the cruise in Seville, unfortunately I cannot remember the new captains name, I do remember however that he was not very personable. The cruise director was Shaun Cavanagh, in my opinion he was awful, he was always talking at you instead of talking to you, you'll be pleased to know he is gone now. Philip Herbert, the hotel director was excellent, a very nice man.

I am not "pleased" that Shawn is gone. I would never be pleased at someone's misfortune, even if he brought it on himself---though we do not know the real story. Shawn was a delightful man when we cruised with him (three times) and always had time for us.

This, however, is a dead horse.

I am not "pleased" that Shawn is gone.

Shawn had his staff provide more activities (TRIVIA) for us cruisers than any other CD on any other ship. I know many other people commented about his style but I wall always remember fondly the cruises that we shared on both Zenith and Galaxy.

Every ship will take you to the ports you want to visit. Shawn made it fun to get there.:D

Arno

Shawn had his staff provide more activities (TRIVIA) for us cruisers than any other CD on any other ship. I know many other people commented about his style but I wall always remember fondly the cruises that we shared on both Zenith and Galaxy.

Every ship will take you to the ports you want to visit. Shawn made it fun to get there.:D

Arno

Hi, Arno.

You are so right about Shawn and the activities he provided on his ships. The same is true of his staff; they ran the activities with a lot of class. They were fun, weren't they?

Patty

Hi, Arno.

You are so right about Shawn and the activities he provided on his ships. The same is true of his staff; they ran the activities with a lot of class. They were fun, weren't they?

Hi Patty:

We have never met a more congenial bunch of cruisers, who enjoyed the activities no matter what team they were on, as much as the group sailing on Zenith in October three(?) years ago.

Please accept my apologies if I have offended anyone with what I said about Shaun Cavanagh, I was not taking any pleasure at this man losing his job, I realise now after re reading my post how it looked. The point I was trying to make was I did not like him as cruise director. We are a young couple who had cruised only once before on the Century the previous year, we had such a wonderful time and feel the Allan King (cruise Director) and Nicolas Pigonis (captain) made the cruise very special. As a young couple all the misconceptions we'd had about cruising were very soon forgotten and we had a wonderful cruise. We booked our second on the Galaxy and found both Captain and Cruise Director very off putting, had this been our first cruise I don't think there would have been a second. Having read a number of the posts on the boards here I've found a number of people feel the same, so we have booked another cruise in December on Millennium and hope tohave as wonderful a cruise as we did on Century. Once again I apologise if I offended anyone with my earlier post.

We are a young couple who had cruised only once before on the Century the previous year, we had such a wonderful time and feel the Allan King (cruise Director) and Nicolas Pagonis (captain) made the cruise very special.

It's tough to beat this pair.

Allan King is an excellent CD... his groaners are special :D

He would make time rough on us cruise addicts by pulling out his palm pilot and asking questions to which few knew the answers. He did this nightly on the transatlantic on Century last November..

Please accept my apologies if I have offended anyone with what I said about Shaun Cavanagh, I was not taking any pleasure at this man losing his job, I realise now after re reading my post how it looked. The point I was trying to make was I did not like him as cruise director. We are a young couple who had cruised only once before on the Century the previous year, we had such a wonderful time and feel the Allan King (cruise Director) and Nicolas Pigonis (captain) made the cruise very special. As a young couple all the misconceptions we'd had about cruising were very soon forgotten and we had a wonderful cruise. We booked our second on the Galaxy and found both Captain and Cruise Director very off putting, had this been our first cruise I don't think there would have been a second. Having read a number of the posts on the boards here I've found a number of people feel the same, so we have booked another cruise in December on Millennium and hope tohave as wonderful a cruise as we did on Century. Once again I apologise if I offended anyone with my earlier post.

Apology accepted most heartily. Now, about Captain Pagonis---isn't he the nicest man? I had occasion to chat with him for about 30 minutes in the MB one evening. When I finally realized I might be overstaying my welcome I stood and excused myself. He followed me over to where DH was sitting and chatted with him a few more minutes. After he had returned to his seat our server came over and said, "The Captain would like to buy you a drink". You can't beat that!!

This probably sounds a little stupid but the difference between the captain and cruise director between our two cruises made a huge difference to our cruise. I don't suppose there is much possibility of Nicolas Pigonis or Allan King moving to Millennium before December?

Probably not. Captain Pagonis has been on Century for some time. The crew on Century would be very unhappy if that happened, also. They are very well treated by him. The other captain (they are on 3 months and off 3 months) is not that well liked.

Probably not. Captain Pagonis has been on Century for some time. The crew on Century would be very unhappy if that happened, also. They are very well treated by him. The other captain (they are on 3 months and off 3 months) is not that well liked.
Will we have Captain Pagonis for our July 9 Century cruise to the Arctic Circle?

Will we have Captain Pagonis for our July 9 Century cruise to the Arctic Circle?

Captain Pagonis starts his tour with the Transatlantic and European sailing which started April 26. Chances are pretty good he will still be on board.

We LOVED the Norwegian ports.

Captain Pagonis starts his tour with the Transatlantic and European sailing which started April 26. Chances are pretty good he will still be on board.

We LOVED the Norwegian ports.

Thanks. We are really looking forward to this itinerary.

Archived