Please Respond about Rum Point

sas80

Hey everyone!

We are doing a tour with our (then) 10 month old.

From the description of Rum point beach, it sounds very nice - is it?

We were wondering if they have cabana's to rent on the beach?

And/or, is there a hotel there that we could consider getting a room for the day? We are just concerened about getting the baby to nap while we are out. (A well napped baby is a happy, non fussy, baby)

Thanks everyone.

sas80,

Our family loves Rum Point and actually takes a land vacation there every other year. We love the "barefoot" beach and lack of crowds. To answer your questions:

Cabanas: There are none, unless they have appeared in the past 2 years. There are lots of trees with plenty of shade, however. There are also many beach chairs.

Hotels: I do not believe that any of the hotels on Rum Point provide the service you describe. Most are smaller, condo-type establishments with longer rentals. Seven Mile Beach, however, has hotels that do this.

We love Rum Point, but it may not be for everyone. The snorkeling is only okay, and as you know, it is far from the port. I think it can be a very relaxing and enjoyable day with your baby, though. We have gone since our children were babies and are going back in March.

I don't know much about Rum Point (but I think it sounds great too!) - however being the seasoned mother of two well traveled kids and 7 nieces and nephews under the age of seven, I can agree that a well napped baby is a happy baby. I can tell you that past expereince says that a baby in the shade in a sea breeze will have the nap of a life time!!!! (maybe you will too). If there is shade you'll be fine! I love seeing young couples with their babies in tow. It's so nice to expose your kids to traveling and adventure. Our oldest is now 20 and she still loves to travel with us. We are visiting Grand Caymen on our curise in August and I'm sure she'll be napping on the beach too. Good luck with your plans, and have a great time. I for one love seeing kids and families on the curises and on the beach. :)

We were wondering if they have cabana's to rent on the beach?

And/or, is there a hotel there that we could consider getting a room for the day?

Nice beach. No cabanas. No hotels for miles.

There's one "beach bar" style restaurant (outdoor seating). One small gift shop. One dive shop that rents water sports equipment. Chairs and hammocks. Trees. That's pretty much it. :D And it's about 45 minutes each way from the port.

It's a great beach if you're looking for the "secluded day at the beach" type of excursion. If you have a young baby and need more amenities handy, you may want to stick with Seven Mile Beach. It's closer to the port and shops and restaurants, and a number of the hotels there do day passes or rent umbrellas & chairs, etc.

Rum Point absolutely has cabanas for rent. They are rarely rented out due to the prevalence of natural shade. Just ask at the Dive Shop.

There is no place nearby to rent a day room. That part of the island has many condos and beach houses, but no hotels.

Rum Point absolutely has cabanas for rent. They are rarely rented out due to the prevalence of natural shade. Just ask at the Dive Shop.

That's weird...I stand corrected then. Where are the cabanas in relation to the bar and dive shop? I've never noticed them, and I've been there a couple dozen times now...

Here's a pic that shows most of the beach (not mine, but it's a better angle than most of the ones I have)

http://www.wt-group.com/stpics/Caribbean/Rum_Point_5.jpg

Maybe you could point me in the right direction to find the cabanas in relation to this picture...I'd love to rent one the next time we're there, so I don't have to deal with the tree needles if I want shade...

There is no place nearby to rent a day room. That part of the island has many condos and beach houses, but no hotels.

Drew Sailbum,

Thanks for the information! I, too, have been to Rum Point several times on land trips and never knew cabanas were availalbe. I'll look for them on my next trip.:)

My DH and I rented a Jeep so we could drive over to Rum Point on our own.

This will be our 3rd visit and we've done the Rays, snorkling, Hell, Turtles, etc.

We made the reservations through a place we found online.

We're going on the 7/21 Enchantment of the Seas. I always make sure to

take plenty of pictures and I will post some along with any other info.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we won't miss it due to going around

a hurricane!

I don't know what it would cost via taxi, but it's a long ride and I imagine it would be quite expensive. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get there.

We also rented a car and drove out to Rum Point....easy drive, really beautiful views. They do drive on the left, but there isn't much traffic outside of Georgetown. DH said it was easy to get used to.

I don't think we paid that much....I think $60??? It really depends on the car you rent. We rented from Avis. They are at the airport, but picked us up at the cruise port and shuttled us over there and back to the cruise dock after drop off. This saves driving in the busy port too!:eek:

http://www.aviscayman.com/

Here are a few shots from our trip there 2 years ago. LOVED the beach and well worth the drive; I think we used Andy's and they picked us up where the tenders dropped us. This was the year after Ivan (I think) crossed the island.

1349148597064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

1349147270064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

1349147341064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Andy's is a local rental car company.

The cabanas for rent are designed to shade one chair. Again, ask at the dive shop for those.

A taxi to Rum Point would cost at least as much as renting a car... for each way. Expect $150 or more for a round trip. To take you on such a run the taxi driver essentially has to give up all option of finding other fares as it is so far from town. You end up paying a premium for having them wait for you.

You can rent a car using your US driver's license. You pay a US$7.50 fee with the rental for your temporary Cayman driving permit.

Drew,

Would you happen to know if the beach that is mentioned in the Carnival excursion to Stingray Sandbar and Rum Point Beach Extravaganza is "Rum Point Beach"? They don't tell you which beach you visit but it would only make sense. Don't you think?

You have such great information for everyone, thought maybe you could answer my question. thanks.:)

Luvtacruise27

I can only make an assumption that any shore excursion to Rum Point actually goes to the one and only Rum Point. Red Sail does have a watersports outlet there. Take a credit card if you want to rent a jet ski.

There is only one other nearby dock - at Kaibo Yacht Club - and a couple of ther names for nearby beaches (Starfish Beach, Sand Point).

The cabanas for rent are designed to shade one chair. Again, ask at the dive shop for those.

Ahh...the lightbulb has now gone on. :D I've seen those. You're talking about the domed things that go over a beach chair, right? In my worldview, those aren't what I think of as cabanas...I've always called those personal beach umbrellas (as opposed to the regular kind on a pole).

When I think of cabanas, I think of the portable or permanent structures that have four poles with a roof over top, and can shade a couple of chairs, and maybe have curtains or something to block the sun and create privacy.

That's good to know...I couldn't figure out how I'd missed seeing cabanas there for all these years... :D

I can only make an assumption that any shore excursion to Rum Point actually goes to the one and only Rum Point. Red Sail does have a watersports outlet there. Take a credit card if you want to rent a jet ski.

There is only one other nearby dock - at Kaibo Yacht Club - and a couple of ther names for nearby beaches (Starfish Beach, Sand Point).

Thanks for the info drew sailbum. Carnivals excursion, the one mentioned by luvtacruise27, stays at rum point for about an hour. I'm looking to keep my 18yr old occupied while we are there. Do you happen to know the age requirement for renting a jet ski or wave runner? Any reason why I should take a credit card to rent a jet ski?

Debating on whether to do the excursion or rent a car to rum point.

Thanks

Archived