Military Discount: Interesting Change to Policy

joepeka

We just learned something from our TA regarding the military discount which may be old news to some of you and to those of you that do not book air travel through Carnival, it will probably reinforce the notion that booking air through Carnival is not a good choice.

Our TA isn’t sure when this changed but our TA's rep’s supervisor at Carnival told her yesterday that they have changed their policy on the military discount such that it is not available if you book air travel with Carnival, you can only get the military discount on a cruise-only booking. I don’t understand this and our TA doesn’t understand it either since we both thought the military discount only applied to the cruise portion of the booking anyway. I’m really struggling to understand the connection between the military discount and whatever arrangements Carnival makes for air travel on their client’s behalf. Perhaps some of you have gotten an explanation for why Carnival instituted this policy; if so please share.

So just be advised that if you qualify for the military discount, plan to book your own air travel arrangements. A lot of you do that anyway (including us for all future cruises) but I just wanted to pass this along to those that may be planning to use “Air Carnival” and the military discount.

I don't know how much the air thru cruises are but if you call the airline that you want to travel with they will give you military discount. I have never heard of a TA giving military discount on airlines like for example some of the major online travel sites do not give military discounts.

Our PVP called when a military discount came up on the cruise we are about to take, went on with getting the copy of DD2124, his I.D. and everything, told me we should know something by the next day. We got a call back from her the same day, and they said that because we had booked air through Carnival, that we weren't eligible for that discount. When we initially booked the cruise, we booked cruise only, but wound up adding air later, right before we paid it off, because it was cheaper through them. I thanked her, and told dh about it when he got home, he couldn't understand why last June on our first cruise through a TA that we got the military discount even though we did book cruise air as well as a pre-night hotel stay. I e-mailed our PVP back the next morning with the question of why, and she said she didn't know when or why they changed it, and sent me what she copied & pasted from their manual on the restrictions of a military discount. (See 3rd line Below)

Restrictions:

• Capacity controlled; based on availability.
  • Applicable to all sail dates, but excluding: Christmas and New Year's.
  • All rates are per person, double occupancy and exclude air transportation.
  • Offer is not combinable with any other promo or discount offer.
  • Offer is combinable with percentage off discount letters. Check with ResSolutions for combinability.
  • Offer is not combinable with air supplements.
  • May be combinable with 3/4/5th guest promos.
  • Normal individual deposit and cancellation policies will apply.

So, it is true, and this above is what our PVP e-mailed us. We found out the hard way:( Good news is, military discount or not, we sail this time next week:D

I don't think it's right though, the military should be honored for their service, and if the airlines can do it, the cruiseline should have continued doing it. They should be honored whether they purchase the air or not, in my honest opinion.

This may be a silly question:o , but what is a DD2124? Do we need it to get on the ship? My DH is military and of course I will ask him, but thought that I would ask you guys anyway.

Just a few more days:D

:eek: I meant DD214 :o Thanks for catching that, didn't realize I hit a 2 in the middle, sorry. Boy do I need this vacation I have coming up

:eek: I meant DD214 :o Thanks for catching that, didn't realize I hit a 2 in the middle, sorry. Boy do I need this vacation I have coming up

That is ok...I'm still don't know what a DD214 is. Can you tell me. Will I need it to get on the ship. My DH said he thought all he needed was a Military ID.

Help:o

Some airlines and sites do give military discounts on flights.

We know that, but the point here is Carnival used to let you get the military discount even when you did book air through them, but have changed their policy, and now if you have booked air through them you can't get the military discount anymore.

DD 214 is the discharge papers from the military; it'll show time served, where stationed, all awards, schooling, and, type of discharge, ie, honorable, retirement, etc.

I just had to fax a copy of my DD 214 to CCL, and supposely, they will keep it on file for upcoming bookings/cruises. I think I showed my retired ID card at embarkation on the last cruise, don't remember for sure.

DD 214 = Discharge papers.

Good Luck and have a GREAT CRUISE!!!

Matt

We know that, but the point here is Carnival used to let you get the military discount even when you did book air through them, but have changed their policy, and now if you have booked air through them you can't get the military discount anymore.

Not everyone knows that apparently and I was pointing out that it is an option.

Besides it is usually cheaper in the long run and less stressful to book your own air.

Just being helpful hon. ;)

That is ok...I'm still don't know what a DD214 is. Can you tell me. Will I need it to get on the ship. My DH said he thought all he needed was a Military ID.

Help:o

The reason I asked if he was active or discharged is because I know a DD214 is a form showing your discharge from the military, but I'm not sure what form they ask for if you are active military. Please understand, I wasn't trying to get too personal on whether he's active or not, was only trying to help. :)

The reason I asked if he was active or discharged is because I know a DD214 is a form showing your discharge from the military, but I'm not sure what form they ask for if you are active military. Please understand, I wasn't trying to get too personal on whether he's active or not, was only trying to help. :)

Don't worry about it you are just trying to answer my question. Thank you for answering it. He is active duty so we don't have to worry about that. DH wasn't sure what it was.

Thanks feel better about that now:D

Thanks Matt will have a great cruise, Thanks to all of the help on these boards.

Found that one out the hard way. My TA and Carnival both confirmed that because we booked Carnival Air we could not get my fiance's military discount for our cruise.

I don't understand it because one fare doesn't have anything to do with the other. Just because I get a discounted cruise doesn't mean I get discounted airfare as well. :confused: I wasn't asking for discounted airfare!

That really is a shame... is it possible to cancel and rebook your air independently so you can still get the discount? Or maybe the break you get on airfare isn't worth the discount if its better... I don't know I have never booked air through the cruise line as you can probably tell :o I know Carnival will only let you use one discount per cabin... for example my Dad is over 55 and a veteran, but they only let him use one discount category.

I don't understand it because one fare doesn't have anything to do with the other. Just because I get a discounted cruise doesn't mean I get discounted airfare as well. :confused: I wasn't asking for discounted airfare!

This is what has us stumped also - we've used the military discount in the past with air booked through Carnival and do not see the connection between the military discount and whether or not you have Carnival book your air travel. I don't expect any discount on the air fare, just the cruise portion. Regardless, we still got a nice discount and will just book our own air and probably save a little more money on top of that. ;)

Holland seems to have similar policies. For example, I believe if you are booked on heavily discounted cruise fares (such as a TA rate) you are often unable to purchase not just airfare, but transfers, insurance, and pre/post hotel stays.

Not sure why the reason for this is. As everyone points out, the cruise line would be making more money, so why don't they want to? My guess is that it is probably something really mundane, like it would complicate their accounting practices.

Anyway, I think it's generally poor customer service to only offer some services. But it's the cruise line's prerogative.

We were told the same thing when we booked, and that was in March. It didn't really make sense to us either. But we weren’t planning on using Carnival’s air fare anyway so it didn’t really matter to us.

Also, DH is active duty and had to fax a copy of his military ID to our TA at booking.

That really is a shame... is it possible to cancel and rebook your air independently so you can still get the discount? Or maybe the break you get on airfare isn't worth the discount if its better... I don't know I have never booked air through the cruise line as you can probably tell :o I know Carnival will only let you use one discount per cabin... for example my Dad is over 55 and a veteran, but they only let him use one discount category.

If I'm not mistaken, as long as you have not made final payment, you can have the air removed from your reservation. Now, I have a great PVP, she would change our reservation to give us the military discount without cancelling & re-booking had we have decided we could get the airfare cheaper on our own, but unfortunately, booking air through them was cheaper for us......this time. We saved over $200 pp at the time, and since then, the airfare has gone up over $650 per person (if we were to book on our own) than what we paid for it through Carnival. Not sure about a TA, worth a try though.

We received my husbands military discount when we booked our cruise. Carnival booked the airfare on our behalf but we had to pay for all that portion upfront. We weren't even aware of the discount when we booked so we were thirlled for that and it made the "sting" of paying the whole airfare costs a little easier to swallow.

Archived