THE LABADEE ZIP LINE - Everything You Always Wanted To Know

Trainman-2

I was there last week and was impressed!

Here is a photo I shot as the Mariner sailed away from Labadee

IMGP5980_716x537.jpg

Most of these photos are mine but a few are from other threads or the Internet. I have never tried posting this many photos in a thread so I may need to make several posts if I exceed a limit I don't know about.

The Zip Line is called the "Dragon's Flight" and is located at Dragon's Breath Point conveniently close to the Dragon's Breath Bar when you exit the ride.

You start out on a small (shorter) line for "suiting up" and learning how to stop at the end of the ride. Here is an overview of the short line looking through the end up to the beginning.

IMGP5975_716x537.jpg

And looking up at the beginning...

IMGP5972_716x537.jpg

And the end.

IMGP5974_716x537.jpg

Note in all of the photos that the structures are built of welded aluminum to avoid rust problems. The design is impressive!

An interesting note here. You don't hang from an overhead bar and you don't sit on a seat. You actually wear the seat!!!!

After the "training ride" you climb into a special truck for a ride to the top.

IMGP5948.jpg

The system just told me that 14 photos are too many so here are the first five.

To be continued...

Continuing on with the story...

When you get to the top of the hill, you have to climb up the stairs to the top of the tower. [photo source unknown]

5430lrs.jpg

And two nice views looking down from the top (source unknown)

Zipline1.jpg

4qpssk6.jpg

To be continued...

Continued...

Here is our son Calvin, age 17, in the yellow shirt, coming down and landing.

IMGP5966_716x537.jpg

IMGP5967_716x537.jpg

IMGP5970_716x537.jpg

The crew on the landing deck is pretty good. They use small portable steps for the riders to stand on while they unhook them than they walk to an area where they get help removing their seat/harness gizmos which at then taken to the start of the small training line.

Note the rectangular "thingies" on the cables. These are brakes which slow the riders down when the hit them and also cause them to swing forward and lift their legs up for the landing. This brake is enough for small kids but a big guy like Calvin blows through it and hits the springs at the end of the cable.

More to come...

Continued...

The roller "thingies" that ride the cables are easily removed by the crew and stacked on a wall. Not that they are welded aluminum with stainless steel axles and rubber wheels.

IMGP5950.jpg

When the pile gets big enough, a small FWD truck appears and they are all loaded up and driven back up to the top of the hill.

IMGP5959.jpg

After everyone is unhooked and the landing platform is clear, the crew uses long poles to shove the brakes as far out on the cables as the can and the ride is ready for the nest group of five. (There are five cables)

IMGP5958.jpg

And that, dear readers, is the end of the story of the Zip Line.

For an old guy like me, the best way to enjoy it is from the Dragon's Breath Bar with a cold "Foo-Foo" drink in hand.

But being truly dedicated, I ventured out into the hot sun, away from the "Foo-Foo" drinks in order to bring you this report. :)

I hope you enjoy it and thanks to the folks who posted the unknown photos that I used.

I did my first zips last year thru the jungles of Costa Rica. Amazing

This one looks super but it look like there is only one long ride not numerous platforms and numerous rides

The cost of $70 per person seems a little steep for a one time ride

but it does look like its a hell of a ride

I am going on Dec 16/07

jazzyman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, thanks for all the great pictures and videos. 5 of us are signed up for the zip line at the end of August on the Liberty. Was wondering how we can get some pictures of us as we land. Anyone know if there's a place at the landing site where the first person landing or one of our friends who aren't doing the zip line could take pictures/video of the others as they come in?. thanks

My DH and I did this zipline last month.....RCI charge was $65 PP. If you were flipflops or loose sandals, you strap them to your harness. If you want to take photos along the ride, you must have a camera that straps around your wrist. My husband took a video of his ride down, and then of me as I came down. The ship also took a photo of the landings. It was lots of fun......... It is the longest zipline over water in the world. The shorter one is just a practice run. Then, they transport you by open air jeep to the top of the mountain for the long ride. Try it.......we did the first one at 8 AM, and then had time to enjoy the remainder of the day on Labadee beach. They do fill up quickly, so book early to avoid disappointment.......

GET OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Quick question. My son is 13 and enjoyed the zip line tour last year in Jamaica. The problem is that he is 2 inches short of the height requirement for the labadee zipline and we leave in less than 2 month. If anyone has been on it please let me know how strictly they enforce the heigth issue. Thanks.

Quick question. My son is 13 and enjoyed the zip line tour last year in Jamaica. The problem is that he is 2 inches short of the height requirement for the labadee zipline and we leave in less than 2 month. If anyone has been on it please let me know how strictly they enforce the heigth issue. Thanks.

Why would you as his parent want to allow him on the zipline if they state he's too short??? Have him wait till he reaches the right height. It is probably for his safety........What would you think if RCI allowed him to go and he got injured????

Why would you as his parent want to allow him on the zipline if they state he's too short??? Have him wait till he reaches the right height. It is probably for his safety........What would you think if RCI allowed him to go and he got injured????

Cruising grandma,

Thank you so much for your concern. I simply asked how closely they monitored the height issue. I assure you as parents we will closely monitor his safety. As a parent who has a son who is the shortest in his class, sometimes you have to make exceptions when things are safe to allow him to do the things that all the other kids his age do. He has ziplined, parasialed, and many other things all under supervision and is perfectly safe. Again, thanks for your concern.

Regards

You stated he is 2 inches shorter than the requirement.......if you encourage him to break the rule, just because others his age are tall enough, it really isn't teaching him right from wrong. How will you justify him breaking other rules later if you encourage him to do this now? He will grow .........Hopefully, if it's not safe, the cruiseline won't allow him or you to break the rules. Think of what you will do IF he gets hurt or killed......and you allowed and encouraged him to do it. Tell him no......you are his parent, and should be following the rules, and teaching him to do the same.

Archived