THE LABADEE ZIP LINE - Everything You Always Wanted To Know

Trainman-2

You stated he is 2 inches shorter th

an the requirement.......if you encourage him to break the rule, just because others his age are tall enough, it really isn't teaching him right from wrong. How will you justify him breaking other rules later if you encourage him to do this now? He will grow .........Hopefully, if it's not safe, the cruiseline won't allow him or you to break the rules. Think of what you will do IF he gets hurt or killed......and you allowed and encouraged him to do it. Tell him no......you are his parent, and should be following the rules, and teaching him to do the same.

Cruising Grandma,

Thank you so much for your advise on parenting. I will make sure and let you know if I need more.

PS. Does anyone else know how closely they monitor the height requirement?

Cruising Grandma, thanks for that info on the camera rules. When you say that you have to strap your camera to your waist do you mean you just run a strap through the wrist/hand strap on the camera and then around your waist so your hands are free and you can't drop it on someones head? It's also good to hear that the ship takes your picture as you come in because frankly, taking pictures will probably be the last thing on my mind.

On the height rules, I don't disagree with your concern about safety. But in many cases rules are written with "wiggle" room (no pun intended). With the epidemic of lawsuit crazy people, Lawyers and Insurance companies are going to have a tendency to over restrict things, sometimes to the point of the ridiculous.

I'm assuming the height requirement has something to do with the ability to secure the person in a harness. If that's the case then TORSO length would be a more accurate and safe criterion. What if the kid meets the minimum height requirements ONLY because he has long legs or neck or head. Rules are typically based on averages and generalities and sometimes I think it's okay to apply some REASONED parental discretion. Of course, they should also discuss the rationale behind the "rule exception" with their child.

Regards,

Jimmers

Carnival Imagination, Western Caribbean 9/95

RC Mariner, Western Caribbean 3/06

RC Navigator, Eastern Caribbean 2/07

RC Liberty, Western Caribbean 8/07

RC Jewel of the Seas, Transatlantic Europe 4/08

Cruising Grandma, thanks for that info on the camera rules. When you say that you have to strap your camera to your waist do you mean you just run a strap through the wrist/hand strap on the camera and then around your waist so your hands are free and you can't drop it on someones head? It's also good to hear that the ship takes your picture as you come in because frankly, taking pictures will probably be the last thing on my mind.

On the height rules, I don't disagree with your concern about safety. But in many cases rules are written with "wiggle" room (no pun intended). With the epidemic of lawsuit crazy people, Lawyers and Insurance companies are going to have a tendency to over restrict things, sometimes to the point of the ridiculous.

I'm assuming the height requirement has something to do with the ability to secure the person in a harness. If that's the case then TORSO length would be a more accurate and safe criterion. What if the kid meets the minimum height requirements ONLY because he has long legs or neck or head. Rules are typically based on averages and generalities and sometimes I think it's okay to apply some REASONED parental discretion. Of course, they should also discuss the rationale behind the "rule exception" with their child.

Regards,

Jimmers

Carnival Imagination, Western Caribbean 9/95

RC Mariner, Western Caribbean 3/06

RC Navigator, Eastern Caribbean 2/07

RC Liberty, Western Caribbean 8/07

RC Jewel of the Seas, Transatlantic Europe 4/08

I wrote the camera needs to strap around your wrist..........not your waist. You couldn't drop the camera on anyones head........there's no one out that far in the water. It's to keep you from losing your camera if dropped, and probably to free your hand to hold the bar if needed. My husband made a video coming down, as did others from our cruise critic group. Everyone here has enjoyed seeing the video. We did buy the photo from the ship, too, but it doesn't really show much of the zipline. Other family members or friends can make pics, but unless they know exactly when you are coming down, it's so fast they might not get you. Five people come down at a time. The bystanders also must stay farther back, so they might not get a good photo. The ship's photographer is at the beginning of the landing platform.

As for the rules....fortunately my 4 year old grandson says, "Rules are rules!", and is taught to abide by them.

Archived