Why Is The Coffee So Bad?

Those machines your referring to do not use a bag in a box system the use a internal bean crusher, They do brew coffee like normal but the problem is the , the tank where the coffee is held drains into your cup and once it's low enough it refills by brewing another tank. There is no such machine that uses a syrup to brew coffee, except for iced coffee. The problem with syrup and hot water you wouldn't even get anything that could possibly ever resemble coffee you would get liquid with floating globs of stuff in em and it would smell like water not coffee the problem mainly is they are mixing older coffee with new coffee, bitterness. And you get a stronger flavor because of mixing. Also cleaning the tank on those machines is very very hard to do right can take a few hrs sometimes. So I'm sure they aren't getting cleaned they way they should be. I get this from my coffee company rep at aramark. Ok flame me I'm sure someone knows more than me, as normal:)
Not a flame. But there are a number of companies that produce liquid coffee concentrate for both commercial and personal use. Some of those are Autocrat, Brewfresh, and Java Juice (which sells travel packs).

As far as cleaning goes, sanitation standards onboard the cruise ships are very high. CDC is responsible for inspecting the ships that stop in US ports. While this does not guarantee that the standards are met over the entire cruise, the ship should be standing tall at least once each cruise when they return to the US:) The time involved in cleaning any piece of food service equipment is irrelevant when it comes to passing the inspections which can happen at any time and are normally not pre-announced.

Charlie

Those machines your referring to do not use a bag in a box system the use a internal bean crusher, They do brew coffee like normal but the problem is the , the tank where the coffee is held drains into your cup and once it's low enough it refills by brewing another tank. There is no such machine that uses a syrup to brew coffee, except for iced coffee. The problem with syrup and hot water you wouldn't even get anything that could possibly ever resemble coffee you would get liquid with floating globs of stuff in em and it would smell like water not coffee the problem mainly is they are mixing older coffee with new coffee, bitterness. And you get a stronger flavor because of mixing. Also cleaning the tank on those machines is very very hard to do right can take a few hrs sometimes. So I'm sure they aren't getting cleaned they way they should be. I get this from my coffee company rep at aramark. Ok flame me I'm sure someone knows more than me, as normal:)

Not a flame but I have actually seen the liquid glop used in coffee makers, in the buffets on some ships, so it wouldn't surprise me if that is what was used throught the ship. Not knowing the internal workings of the actual coffee brewing type machines your explanation makes sense.

I detest cruise ship coffee. Yick! It's just the most horrible stuff. I don't drink much coffee on a cruise. Why is it bad? To make us more likely to get off the ship at the crack of dawn on the last day. I'll grab my crap and head down the ole gangplank, for good coffee. It's a brilliant plan.

Sounds like there must be thousands of unsatisfied coffee lovers cruising all around our waters at any one time. Maybe it's time to create a new cruise ship.... Java of the Seas ..... just for real coffee lovers!

On our most recent cruise they announced that RCCL would only serve Seattle's Best Coffee. In Windjammer I've seen them pouring beans into the coffee machines so I don't believe that they use syrup. For me the coffee is a bit to strong but, I usually just add a touch more half n' half and I'm good to go.

d

I'm an daily coffee drinker and HAVE to have a decent morning cup or...well it's not pretty...

On the Jewel I found the coffee available at the coffee kiosk (purchase) very good, on the Navigator the 'free' coffee in the centrum coffee shop was good, but on the Mariner it was pretty much like in the windjammer..

On the Mariner I actually resorted to getting a double expresso in a large cup and having them add hot water and cream to it....that was actually very good.

Told you ...I am hooked ; )

When I cruised Voyager in 2003 I thought the coffee to be sub par. When we were on Freedom last year I thought the coffee to be better, but had plenty of room for improvement. First cruise I ever went on was Home lines now out of business. The coffee on that cruise was as good as any I have ever had anywhere. So I know good coffee can be made on a ship. Like a lot of things in life does someone want to spend the time, effort, and money to do it right? From what we are all saying the answer is apparently not.

Wish I could get my husband to post this as he is in the restaurant business and he tells me the coffee RC uses is "fresh brewed instant". The concentrate is in a box inside the machine and put an empty cup up, press, and it fills with coffee. Just like the instant orange juice machines we all know. He keeps telling me the product is not bad it is just that the machines are not properly calibrated and that is why you can find a "better" cup at some locations.

I've seen the boxes and they remind me of the milk boxes that don't have to be kept cold or like a carton of chicken stock.

Wish I could get my husband to post this as he is in the restaurant business and he tells me the coffee RC uses is "fresh brewed instant". The concentrate is in a box inside the machine and put an empty cup up, press, and it fills with coffee. Just like the instant orange juice machines we all know. He keeps telling me the product is not bad it is just that the machines are not properly calibrated and that is why you can find a "better" cup at some locations.

I've seen the boxes and they remind me of the milk boxes that don't have to be kept cold or like a carton of chicken stock.

Happy that you posted this info. DH (who is the real 98charlie who posted coffee syrup info previously on this thread) has been in the restaurant business for 34 years. We have cruised many times on several different cruiselines - only 2x on RCI - so he wasn't sure if RCI uses the coffee concentrate or not.

However, we have seen the coffee concentrate loaded into coffee machines on various ships on various cruise lines many times. His comments about the concentrate are the same as your DH.

Dianne

98charlie's other half, 49charlie

I wonder if most of the coffee connoisseurs come from colder climates? Sue is from Ohio and loves a good cup of coffee. When we lived in Florida there were no coffee shops. Or very few at least. Now there are more. I would just as soon a cold drink in warmer climates. Still I wonder why these large ship lines wouldn't have a better reputation for something as simple as coffee? We may have to bring our own in this case.

I wish that they would have Starbucks on the larger cruise ships. Should be very profitable and would be a big plus for most of us coffee drinkers.

Personally I'd switch to bringing my own coffee or tea on ships that serve only Starbucks. Truly believe the company serves over priced coffee to consumers who don't know that you can get a good cup of coffee at a much lower price.

I enjoy a good cup of coffee and remember brewing it and serving it to diner customers years ago as a waitress. We charged 5 - 10 cents a cup with 1 refill free. When companies like Starbucks and other coffee specialty companies came on the scene the coffee serving cup got much larger and the price skyrocketed.

Dianne

PS: I think you will find that some cruise lines do serve Starbucks on some of their ships for a price.

For the life of me I cannot fathom how anyone can say the coffee on a ship is bad, then state they drink Folgers at home :rolleyes: .

I remember not so many decades ago a time when the price of coffee beans sky rocketed and DH & I turned to a Louisiana coffee mix laced with chicory. We were raising our 3 kids at the time and needed to pinch pennies.

Have to say that chicory mix tasted pretty d... good to us each morning and we grew to enjoy it, specially after our mothers told us they drank something similar during WWII when coffee was rationed.

When you get right down to it, coffee brands are a lot like pop brands. Some people swear by Coke products. I prefer Pepsi brands. Some people only drink diet pop. Diet sodas make me gag and I've tried many of them.

On a cruise I end up drinking mostly Coke products in mixed drinks because that's what they offer. I can live with it for the time I'm on the ship. am I going to make a big deal about it?

Not !

So why do so many make such a big deal about coffee?

Dianne

I think some (of us) are simply addicted to coffee, want a certain strength and freshness each and every morning to start the day off just right, and are sad that it might be (or was) absent on vacation!

BTW, Starbucks OWNS Seattle's Best Coffee :)

So for our cruise I'm bringing my own ground coffee and my travel French press mug. Just in case!

:D

I can't do the sweeteners and flavors either! Just plain with milk (be it cold or steamed, etc.).

Nliedel, your blog is way fun... :)

Wow, thank you.

I like a little sugar, but the, formerly adored, Frappacino's have become too much. Since their 600 calories a pop, that's a good thing.

I think some (of us) are simply addicted to coffee, want a certain strength and freshness each and every morning to start the day off just right, and are sad that it might be (or was) absent on vacation!

BTW, Starbucks OWNS Seattle's Best Coffee :)

So for our cruise I'm bringing my own ground coffee and my travel French press mug. Just in case!

:D

I do not qualify Starbucks as 'good' coffee...just popular and overpriced. Dunkin' Donuts makes a great coffee (which you can buy at the store brewed, in bean form or ground in packages) and it comes with the added bonus of being in close proximity to fresh, delicious krullers!

French press....hmmmm....I feel another suitcase coming on :)

Personally I'd switch to bringing my own coffee or tea on ships that serve only Starbucks. Truly believe the company serves over priced coffee to consumers who don't know that you can get a good cup of coffee at a much lower price.

I don't think most Starbucks' consumer are unaware that good coffee is available cheaper; they are simply willing to pay a premium for the Starbucks' experience. For millions of people it is fun to go to Starbucks, people enjoy the ambiance a lot more than Dunkin Donuts or other places where similar quality coffee is a lot cheaper. The food is also very tasty at Starbucks (I love their new breakfast sandwhiches) and there are lots of nice gifts.

Yes some cruiselines serve Starbucks/Seattle's Best coffee, but it is not the same as having an actual Starbucks aboard the ship. I bet the Starbucks and cruise ship would profit and it would enhance the cruise for many (but certainly not all) passengers.

There is a local gourmet shop here that had this product. I thought it was great! They even added (which I don't see here) an small battery operated electric frothier. It was really cute. As coffee is important to the hubby, we will bring this along. Apparently it is RCCL approved! :)

oopps meant to include this link

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/group_coffee.asp?CHK=&SLT=&MD=1&mscssid=KTDJQFVUMMRG8H6DWHW7JUN92WGEF1C7

We are serious cruisers and we love it. But I have to ask: why is the coffee so bad on Royal Caribbean ships? It's weak.

Weak?? :confused: Man, it took me about 9 creamers to get mine just a DARK brown color, nevermind light enough to drink without chewing!!! :p

I wish they would fix the problem too. Although I have to say, when I was on Enchantment this past May, the coffee was fine! The coffee on Liberty last month was "ok", but on Freedom last September, BLECH! LOL

Guest scfjjb
I think RCI coffee is fine. If you want awful coffee, try Princess. Even their coffee is ok except at the Horizon Court, where it more closely resembles burnt motor oil.

Totally agree.... Princess coffee is awful.

Archived