What to do in Progreso?

There is nothing like C&C. No Diamonds International or those other cruise port chains. Thankfully, this is the real Mexico. Pretty much unspoiled. There is a nice beach but the water is not like the crystal clear Caribbean. Some very good restaurants and they will serve you on the beach if you prefer. Many options for your portcall.

Yeah. I'm with H here. Progreso is different from most of the other ports. It is real, not commercialized like Coz or Playa Del Carmen. Everytime I come here, I find something different to do. We've seen the Dzibalchaltun and Xcambo Ruins. Visited the Reef Yucatan Resort. Loafed on the beach and drank $1 Coronas and went off of the beaten track and shopped in the middle of town away from the tourist traps. This place can be fun.

• 1 month later...

ok....sounds like you know progreso...have to choose...reef yucatan or corona beach for the day....

Yeah. I'm with H here. Progreso is different from most of the other ports. It is real, not commercialized like Coz or Playa Del Carmen. Everytime I come here, I find something different to do. We've seen the Dzibalchaltun and Xcambo Ruins. Visited the Reef Yucatan Resort. Loafed on the beach and drank $1 Coronas and went off of the beaten track and shopped in the middle of town away from the tourist traps. This place can be fun.

ok....sounds like you know progreso...have to choose...reef yucatan or corona beach for the day....

What do you like? Corona Beach is a place to loaf and have waiters bring you drinks and food. You can shop in town . I don't mean on the Malecon where all of the tourist are, I mean back several blocks from the beach. The stores, prices and people are great. And the food, all of the glorious and unusual food.

Reef Yucatan has a nice beach, a trip to some small ruins or a flamingo sanctuary, a huge gorgeous pool and an open bar, plus transportation. Oh, I almost forgot that some people have munchkins, RY also has a kiddie area with slides, toys and etc.

A trip to Merida is pretty nice, too. There is some fantastic architecture there with some dating back to the 1500's. And did I mention the FOOD?

Whatever you choose can be fun. I always find something interesting here.

There are so many more choices while visiting Progreso.

you are probably right, but I have made several trips to the area.....just not to progreso..

have been to some of the ruins before while visiting cancun...have been to cozumel before also...our group consists of 16 people--ages 9 yrs to 48 yrs...trying to make them happy....hence a day at a resort of some kind....with some shopping thrown in...

so have to choose between the public corona beach and the yucatan resort...

you are probably right, but I have made several trips to the area.....just not to progreso..

have been to some of the ruins before while visiting cancun...have been to cozumel before also...our group consists of 16 people--ages 9 yrs to 48 yrs...trying to make them happy....hence a day at a resort of some kind....with some shopping thrown in...

so have to choose between the public corona beach and the yucatan resort...

If you don't mind $30 pp, I would go to RF. There is something for everybody, but I have never been disapointed with anything in Progreso.

P.S. There are shops at the bus dropoff in town and on the pier, so shopping is no problem. The best bargains, though, are off the beaten track.

If you don't mind $30 pp, I would go to RF. There is something for everybody, but I have never been disapointed with anything in Progreso.

P.S. There are shops at the bus dropoff in town and on the pier, so shopping is no problem. The best bargains, though, are off the beaten track.

thank you so much for the info.......sounds like the RF is the better choice for our group....can't wait!!!

thank you so much for the info.......sounds like the RF is the better choice for our group....can't wait!!!

Hey bkinla,

Some of your group might like to see the Xcambo ruins. They are small, but interesting and it only takes a little time because they are so near the resort. Good photo ops, also.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to a beach resort. There were several busloads of folks that chose this particular excursion. It was at a hotel and you could use their facilities and the beach. Unlimited alcohol and snacks were provided also. The only problem is that there were way, way too many drunk people on the trip home. We had a couple of children on our bus and I felt sorry for them and their parents as there were many rowdy people and things got a little (OK, well a lot!) off color. One woman was so drunk she had to be taken to the infirmary when we got back to the ship. So, if you take the resort beach break be ready for this as I've heard it occurs ALL the time. The beach was not really great at this resort OR in town at the Corona Beach. I wasn't impressed with Progreso at all! - CB :(

We went to a beach resort. There were several busloads of folks that chose this particular excursion. It was at a hotel and you could use their facilities and the beach. Unlimited alcohol and snacks were provided also. The only problem is that there were way, way too many drunk people on the trip home. We had a couple of children on our bus and I felt sorry for them and their parents as there were many rowdy people and things got a little (OK, well a lot!) off color. One woman was so drunk she had to be taken to the infirmary when we got back to the ship. So, if you take the resort beach break be ready for this as I've heard it occurs ALL the time. The beach was not really great at this resort OR in town at the Corona Beach. I wasn't impressed with Progreso at all! - CB :(

I'm sorry that you had to put up with that. We had the same problem in Costa Maya. I have always enjoyed my visits to Progreso, but you are always at the mercy of the crowds. I find that it is so sad that so many people relate a good time to being obnoxious and/or rude.

Better luck next time.

We chose the Segway excursion in Merida for our Progresso port. It was fun to ride the Segway and then we got to learn all about the Mayan people, their culture and history with a guided tour through a museum. We even got treated to Colon's ice cream (actually more like shaved ice). It was a great tour. I'll answer questions about it if you have any.

• 2 weeks later...
You can shop in town . I don't mean on the Malecon where all of the tourist are, I mean back several blocks from the beach. The stores, prices and people are great. And the food, all of the glorious and unusual food.

What do you mean back several blocks? Do you mean inland? and how do we get there? Sorry if I am asking a stupid question. and I'm sorry if I'm being paranoid, but being off the beaten path is also safe? I'm getting too used to these ports that they are always warning you about. This stop has me a little worried as we are not sitting kind of people and would like to experience the real Progresso or Merida. Do you know if they have any of the shows in either place? (Like the foklorico?spelled wrong I know)

What do you mean back several blocks? Do you mean inland? and how do we get there? Sorry if I am asking a stupid question. and I'm sorry if I'm being paranoid' date=' but being off the beaten path is also safe? I'm getting too used to these ports that they are always warning you about. This stop has me a little worried as we are not sitting kind of people and would like to experience the real Progresso or Merida. Do you know if they have any of the shows in either place? (Like the foklorico?spelled wrong I know)[/quote']

Hola choozin,

There are only about 4 or 5 streets that the tourist frequent when they are in town. Those that are closest to the water. If you turn right at the corner where the bus drops you and walk 4 or 5 blocks you will find a completely different world than what you find on the Malecon (Main St.). Here you find little stores where all of the locals shop. The prices are low and very few of the merchants speak english.

This port is safe enough that I wouldn't be afraid to walk the streets after dark, but I am a fairly large guy.;) All of the people that I've talked to are friendly, courteous and quick to smile. Just treat them like you would want to be treated. The same goes for Merida.

We've done a couple of the ruins tours and enjoyed them and spent a day at a resort. Hdawson can give you more info on this area and he probably knows about the folkloric show and other sites and tours.

Thanks Clackey. I guess I'll have to brush up on what little Spanish I know. I just took a crash course in German for my trip to Germany in May, and had to forget the Spanish. (I was getting them confused)....lol Now I'm going to have to forget the German. They really won't understand that. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Corona's for a dollar? Is that at Corona Beach only?

They have corona stands set up and almost every place around town you can get almost any beer for $1.

I walked around town and felt 100% safe.I've yet to travel out of town but would like to see other parts.

It can be a fun port and no you don't have to do the Corona Beach Party trip and pay$$$ for it. You can do it on your own.

They have corona stands set up and almost every place around town you can get almost any beer for $1.

I walked around town and felt 100% safe.I've yet to travel out of town but would like to see other parts.

It can be a fun port and no you don't have to do the Corona Beach Party trip and pay$$$ for it. You can do it on your own.

Hey do they have all mexican beers?

I just told my husband about $1 beers...he said OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! I wonder if I am going to have to pay someone to help me get him back to the ship. lol

I bet they do not have lime though at those stands. Wonder if I can find one somewhere? Wonder if I can take some off the ship...

Hey do they have all mexican beers?

I just told my husband about $1 beers...he said OH MY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! I wonder if I am going to have to pay someone to help me get him back to the ship. lol

I bet they do not have lime though at those stands. Wonder if I can find one somewhere? Wonder if I can take some off the ship...

The Mercado (market) is only a couple of blocks away. You can find anything there. That is, if the local vendors don't find you some. These people can be very efficient when there is a tip involved.;)

P.S. Don't worry about getting Hub back to the ship. I saw them take a teenaged girl back to the ship in a wheelchair. She was passed out drunk and it was only 5:00 P.M.

We will be sailing on the Holiday Nov 10, 2007 and it looks like we may be headed for Progreso. What kind of beach activites do they have there? We were hoping for a beach day and wanted to rent waverunners and get massages at such. Anything like this in Progreso?

Archived