Haines: Valley of the Eagles

jer

Does anyone know anything about the Valley of the Eagles Nature Tour? The provider is at: http://kcd.com/aknature/naturetour.htm

It is wildlife-viewing oriented, stopping at various locations on a bus trip and using spotting scopes. They have an evening version that has an increased focus on bears.

I've seen others who talk very positively about the float trip through the area. I can take or leave the raft side of things. I am more concerned with ability to see & photograph wildlife, which I would think is more difficult on the raft: (1) while moving down a river and (2) given that water & technology don't mix well. But maybe the water gets you closer to animals than you can by bus + foot?

If this is in Haines- wildlife other than eagles is rare and if seen can be a mile away. From the float is the best way to see the eagles, the road has a few turn outs for viewing but by far the numbers are greater from the water. Easy to photograph from the rafts- no white water. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The bear watching is in Sept and again no guarantees and chancy. I sat all day and didn't see any last Sept. But I also have been there many times and had the time to do so- also went to the Sheldon museum and drove the Haines Highway.

Archived