Baseball caps in the dining room

IMHO for the food, The buffet is not near as good as the dining room and they paid the same as any one else .

Hmm. Perhaps, but the question still remains. They know the dining room is dressy, or at least smart casual. They know there are table cloths, extra service, certainly classier than WJ - but think it's OK to schlep in in bare feet, tanks and cap. So why do it? In fact, the food in the WJ is pretty good imo, and that would be the appropriate place if they want to go casual.

...and for me (I know I'm opening the ol' can 'o' worms here) the "I paid the same as everyone else so I'm entitled to do whatever I want" argument holds no water at all.

Fran in Toronto

I've read all the discussions about appropriate dress for the dining room...what is suggested and what is expected. My pet peeve is to see someone sit down to dinner with a hat on their head. Have you ever seen this in the ships dining room? Would you say somthing about it or ignore it? If they wouldn't remove their hat would you leave the table?

Thanks for your opinions.

I would never approach a stranger on something that is not a safety issue. I do not appreciate caps inside, and I've knocked my nephew in the head several times on this issue. I thought he was raised with this knowledge, but apparently not. It is not an 'in your face' gesture, just doesn't know better. Oh well. I try.

I'll say something if I know the person, otherwise, my mouth is shut. Would not leave, hell, I'm hungry!!

Pick your battles, and pick them carefully.

I agree with that , just because you are on vacation you should still respect others, rude behavior is never exceptable. I also agree that people shouldn't wear hats in the dining room, I personally just don't care.

I would love to have seen them turn away folks in shorts. Jeans....I'd let that slide, but shorts do not belong in the dining room, especially when it clearly says it in the compass.

And I quote from the compass:

Appropriate Attire- Please remember that bare feet, shorts, tank tops, and t-shirts are not permitted in the dining room or specialty restaurants at dinner. However, casual dining is always offered in the windjammer.

Yes, it is right for a male to remove his hat in church. However, in the Jewish religion it is proper for a male to wear his head covered at religious services and dining. Please be sensitive to all types of people who travel the seas. They come from all different cultures. Thank you.

in Windjammer I have no issue with people wearing hats...its a very casueal place and I have done it before and will again I am sure...in the dining room...its tacky and not necassary...I dont think this was a question of religious headwear so much as baseball type hats...I wouldn't ever say anything to a stranger wearing a hat, but certainly would not assume they are very well mannered

Yes, it is right for a male to remove his hat in church. However, in the Jewish religion it is proper for a male to wear his head covered at religious services and dining. Please be sensitive to all types of people who travel the seas. They come from all different cultures. Thank you.

..and a man who is truly trying to respectfully cover his head will wear a kippah. A baseball cap is still just a baseball cap.

Would not bother me at all what someone else wears and no I wouldnt say anything or leave.

I have my own issues to deal with.

My daughter and husband wore jeans in the dining room on casual night and I did mention that they were really not allowed but they wore them anyway.

Also, my husband was a chair hog on our last cruise. I told him that he really needed to get on these message boards because he was so unaware of the rules of cruising.

NEARING 100 CRUISES: an American wearing a baseball hat in church or in the dining room is not because of his/her "culture"......it is purely a blatant example of lack of culture on his/her part. I am fully aware of the customs of many other nations however the wearing of BASEBALL hats in dining rooms is not part of those traditions. When seeing someone acting inappropriately, one of my friends always uses the phrase "lack of upbringing". I'm sure he would say exactly that upon seeing someone wearing a baseball hat in a cruise ship's dining room.

OMG Here we go , why does it bother people or affect your cruise experiece on what other people wear. As a cancer survivor, how do you know they are not wearing a hat because they have lost their hair because of Chemo. I realize the people you are talking about probably do not have cancer, but really who the hell cares. Can somebody explain to me why somebody at the next table in a pair of jeans or hat would ruin your dinner . You know I"m just glad to be alive and able to cruise.

I agree with you 100%. It may not be the appropriate behavior but why do so many people care. And to say it RUINED a vacation, please, are you serious!!!!

OMG Here we go , why does it bother people or affect your cruise experiece on what other people wear. As a cancer survivor, how do you know they are not wearing a hat because they have lost their hair because of Chemo. I realize the people you are talking about probably do not have cancer, but really who the hell cares. Can somebody explain to me why somebody at the next table in a pair of jeans or hat would ruin your dinner . You know I"m just glad to be alive and able to cruise.

The last time I was on a cruise with someone who was undergoing kemo treatment, they wore a wig. No hat.

why does everyone seem to be so concerned about someone wearing a hat to dinner? It seems that a lot of people on this website suffer from the need to type their personal thoughts about anything. it is like they need to make use of their computer, or they are bored and need to fill the void with ridiculous postings. some i bet are part of a "condo commando" unit. life would be so much more enjoyable if people just learned to keep to themselves and not worry about the smaller things in life.

why does everyone seem to be so concerned about someone wearing a hat to dinner? It seems that a lot of people on this website suffer from the need to type their personal thoughts about anything. it is like they need to make use of their computer, or they are bored and need to fill the void with ridiculous postings. some i bet are part of a "condo commando" unit. life would be so much more enjoyable if people just learned to keep to themselves and not worry about the smaller things in life.

But why do people find a need to place a label such as 'condo commando' on those they disagree with?:confused:.Perhaps they are bored and need to fill the void with ridiculous postings in order to feel they are making use of their computer-BT

I DOESN'T bother me. But I did notice a LOT of men wearing baseball caps in the dining room on my Majesty cruise last February. Unless this was a male convention of cancer sufferers, it's unlikely they all were undergoing chemo. Men look good with bald heads anyway - it's usually women that are concerned about having no hair. And I saw no women wearing hats.

I'm with the Captain Jake above me. Look at his Sig: Don't sweat the small stuff. REALLY.. it's SMALL STUFF.

I look at like this way: If what someone else is doing is not endangering themselves or anyone else, and it's not bullying anyone, AND .. it does not affect the way I go about my daily life, then I don't care. Why would I want to choose to get stressed out about what someone is wearing in the dining room.

Are they breaking the rules.. sure, OK. But, I'm not going to let that person ruin my mood in the slightest by stewing over it. Especially on a cruise --- Really, move on, and deal with the big stuff when it happens.

Stress, even in the small doses inferred here is not healthy. Besides, if you get worked up about hats in a dining room, I suspect you get worked up about a lot of things in life, and you tend to have more than average stress levels in your daily routine. Sad.

It would not ruin my vacation if someone wore a hat in the dining room. I am bothered that some people think the rules do not apply to them and I've noticed that some of the people breaking the minor rules, have no problem breaking the major rules too.

Last Friday we went to Cedar Point. There were a lot of High School kids there. We paid a fortune to take the two older boys. There were several attempts to cut in line in front of my kids. my boys did not deserve to be cut in front of. I'm not talking about a few times. I'm talking about every line I was in.

Some kid without a shirt. "Hey, mind if I walk past you? My friends are up there."

me, with a smile. "Please don't."

massive sad face. "But, I've been waiting in line FOREVER and those are my FRIENDS!"

"I'm sorry, but my kids have been waiting just as long as you and everyone is supposed to take turns."

Middle finger raised. "Oh ________ you. I'm going."

Wider smile. "I'll report you."

"Evil _________"

"Yep."

I fully agree with you regarding the need post on the board,- but not regarding wearing a hat to dinner.

MY issue with this is that on a Cruise ship you are kind of stuck with your tablemates, and I do not find it attractive to share a table with someone wearing a baseball cap or tank shirt for dinner. If I find someone like this at our table, I will ask for another table because I do not expect they will change even for the formal dinner.

On the 5/4 sailing of Explorer, we noticed a younger man who had t-shirt, jeans and a baseball cap on during dinner.

At first, our table talked about how incredibly rude it was to so blatantly ignore the dress code, especially when this person was seated next to the Captain's table and this was the only night during our 5 night cruise that the Captain's table was used- we had early seating.

Then as we talked about it so more, we realized that there may be a medical condition that we knew nothing about, and with that thought in mind, we decided that there probably was a good reason for this man to be dressed as he was.

FWIW- Wendy

Sorry, I was referring to the critical people, not the frequent posters :)

Merci! Thanks for clearing that up.

Like I said, some of those frequent posters are amazing people to sail with. I suspect a lot of the new posters would be too.

No hats in the dinning room! I find it extremely vulgar to go to a nice restaurant for dinner wearing a baseball cap. It would not ruin my vacation but if the same man was wearing his beloved baseball cap again the following night, I would switch tables.

IMHO for the food, The buffet is not near as good as the dining room and they paid the same as any one else .

STEVE- this I paid for it so I can go and do as I please is the cause of many issues of not only cruising and vacationing... but rampant elsewhere... where I won't digress.

You PAID and then AGREED to follow the terms of contract. If hats are not smart casual or formal, and I assure you they are not.... then it's a no go.

Hell, I paid for a suite, I think the pool should be open 24/7, does this give me the right to go in post closing hours (allright bunge jumping in the empty pit, but you get my point).

I hate this response "I paid for it and I can use it" IMHO, it accepts no accountability. You know the rules ahead of time.

Wearing a hat to the dinner table is a symbol of disrespect. It's not simply a hat.

STEVE- this I paid for it so I can go and do as I please is the cause of many issues of not only cruising and vacationing... but rampant elsewhere... where I won't digress.

You PAID and then AGREED to follow the terms of contract. If hats are not smart casual or formal, and I assure you they are not.... then it's a no go.

Hell, I paid for a suite, I think the pool should be open 24/7, does this give me the right to go in post closing hours (allright bunge jumping in the empty pit, but you get my point).

I hate this response "I paid for it and I can use it" IMHO, it accepts no accountability. You know the rules ahead of time.

Wearing a hat to the dinner table is a symbol of disrespect. It's not simply a hat.

I second this !!!

Archived