Coco Cay?

I've searched but can't find an answer to this question. Can anyone tell me if there are lifeguards at Coco Cay?

The only private island I've been to is Castaway Cay and they did have lifeguards but I'm wondering if that is just because it is Disney or if other lines have lifeguards at their islands too?

I do not recall having see lifeguards on the beach at CocoCay. There was an RCI employee (don't know if they are a "lifeguard" or not) out at the sunken airplane while snorkeling who would offer assistance if needed.

They might not have lifeguards at Cococay but they do at Labadee. The only reason I think this is because the lg's at Labadee are Hatians. However, no one inhabits cococay. Also, if you notice there aren't any lifeguards in RCI pools

I did see a lifeguard on the beach on Coco Cay while we were there in March on Majesty...not sure if it was because of the really, really choppy weather (we left CC early actually) but I did talk with a lifeguard. (When you get off the tenders the beach off and to the left where the snorkling is). There are also TWO lifeguards with jet skiis on towers out in the water at that beach.

We have been to CC many times and they have always been there...

Sam :D

Thanks everyone!

I'm looking into options for my Girl Scout troop, they aren't allowed to swim without lifeguards, so I was hoping that you'd tell me they were there - I didn't want to have to choose Disney just because of the lifeguard issue.

Thanks everyone!

I'm looking into options for my Girl Scout troop, they aren't allowed to swim without lifeguards, so I was hoping that you'd tell me they were there - I didn't want to have to choose Disney just because of the lifeguard issue.

Lucky girl scouts, yes there were lifeguards on cococay when we were there the beginning of May. Enjoy your day:)

The person who occupies the "lifeguard" stand stand by the plane wreck is definitely considered a lifeguard. People could get into trouble way out there so someone needs to be ready just in case. They also have the added duty of feeding the fish causing the very entertaining feeding frenzy.

There are inhabitants of Coco Cay. The Bahamians that work the straw market and who drive the tenders live on the island. The tenders are not ship's tenders but are docked at Coco Cay and those who live on the island drive them out to the ship each time a ship arrives. It must be an isolated feeling to live there. Or maybe it's fun!

The person who occupies the "lifeguard" stand stand by the plane wreck is definitely considered a lifeguard. People could get into trouble way out there so someone needs to be ready just in case. They also have the added duty of feeding the fish causing the very entertaining feeding frenzy.

There are inhabitants of Coco Cay. The Bahamians that work the straw market and who drive the tenders live on the island. The tenders are not ship's tenders but are docked at Coco Cay and those who live on the island drive them out to the ship each time a ship arrives. It must be an isolated feeling to live there. Or maybe it's fun!

I think it might be really cool to live out on an isolated island...But I wouldn't want to be marooned on one; that would NOT be cool. In other words, I would want it to be voluntary, not involuntary! ;)

We saw several lifeguards on Coco Cay. Many are wearing the blue-and-yellow SeaTrek shirts. A couple roaming the main beach/snorkel area, a couple on Jetskis, and the one out near the plane.

I was waiting for my DH's return from the p.m. scuba excursion when I noticed the Jetski lifeguards bringing the snorkeling stragglers into the beach so they would be ready for the last tenders.

RCI seems to be pretty vigilant about making anyone in more than a few feet of water wear a snorkel vest.

As for living on the island, the divemaster (an American guy, I think) said there are a couple hundred people who live on the island, the RCI employees in dorm-like setups. He said he signed a 6-month contract with RCI and could be assigned to Coco Cay, Labadee, or one of the big ships with a dive shop. He also said when the ships pull out about 4 p.m. that it can be a little dull at night. He did say they have satellite TV.:)

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

I just had to throw my $0.02 in as well, I too seen Life Gaurds on duty if I am not mistaken there was like this lil floating station off the lil fishing pier that was being used with tha big ole umbrella :D

Archived